On the Jarwin TD, 83 was in the field

Sydla

Reaction score
He hasn't in the NFL.

Zay Jones caught 100 balls a year and he can't catch either. College production doesn't mean anything.

Do we have multiple examples of him dropping very catchable balls in the NFL?

I recall maybe one or two but hardly enough to say he "can't catch". Running a bad or lazy route isn't the same thing.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
Did you even watch the beginning of the game Monday. They threw him the ball on a screen and he dropped it.

Or are you just one of the hundreds on this board who just like to hear themselves complain?
So.... You don't use a player because he drops a pass?? Well then we better just run the ball all game long

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I had to look up 83. The dude hip congratulated Jarwin after making a block on the play. None other than Ventrell Bryant. Where is Cedrick Wilson? What happened to Devin Smith, who looked awesome early in the season going deep??
Anyone have answers?

Bryant is better on special-team coverage, so he dressed. If we needed a return man, Wilson would dress.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Do we have multiple examples of him dropping very catchable balls in the NFL?

I recall maybe one or two but hardly enough to say he "can't catch". Running a bad or lazy route isn't the same thing.
1...but he only has, what, 7 targets? That's bad but it's too small of a sample. Running a bad route is absolutely the same thing.

You're too hung up on the term "can't catch" anyways. It was flippant. The point is that he hasn't shown anything to say that he's capable of being a consistent receiving threat in the NFL or that he should get a lot more touches than he does.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Smith fizzled out after the Commanders game

There's some truth to this. We put him in the No. 2 role when Gallup was injured and he didn't do much with it. So now he isn't likely to play because he's not a role player, just a backup outside receiver. Bryant is a backup outside receiver who plays special teams.

fansince68

Reaction score
Bryant is the Noah Brown. Bigger, better blocker, can line up near the line or wide out.

Smith and Wilson don’t offer that.
If that's the case, can we please move on from IR Brown. Dude is "annually " on the IR list. Decent teams would have already moved on from him.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
I don’t know the correct answer but if Wilson and Smith can’t play special teams....they won’t have a spot on the active roster unless someone is hurt. They will not make this team as just pure receivers.
Wilson has returned punts, and Smith was supposedly a standout gunner in College. It's not like Tavon Austin is irreplaceable as a punt returner.

conner01

Reaction score
I don’t know the correct answer but if Wilson and Smith can’t play special teams....they won’t have a spot on the active roster unless someone is hurt. They will not make this team as just pure receivers.
Special teams are huge for those last few active spots
Wilson can return but so can Austin

TheDuke

How 'Bout Dem Cowboys
Reaction score
So.... You don't use a player because he drops a pass?? Well then we better just run the ball all game long
You miss understood my post. My comment was based on someone saying they never throw to pollard and I was pointing out that they did.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
How bad would someone have to be to not be able to play on this kick coverage team?
It’s not that it’s just they have actual guys who contribute who play special teams and on offense or defense. Some guys play better than others. Doesn’t mean they are bad.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I'm going to guess that Devin Smith isn't healthy. Probably nagging injuries, and they're holding him out.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Wilson has returned punts, and Smith was supposedly a standout gunner in College. It's not like Tavon Austin is irreplaceable as a punt returner.
That’s your opinion. This team feels otherwise. Austin is replaceable but there’s no way those two guys offer more in the return game than he does. He’s also a veteran. I’m not sure why #83 is above them on the depth chart but if he’s a better special teams player then you have your answer.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just as bad or more, Moore won'teven use Pollard at all in the offense, much less the passing game. Pathetic. That's on Moore.
Why can't we talk about the topic of this thread? Every thread isn't intended to be a ***** session about everything related to the Cowboys. Generally they actually are intended to discuss a specific topic. If you want to discuss another topic, start a thread.

conner01

Reaction score
I'm going to guess that Devin Smith isn't healthy. Probably nagging injuries, and they're holding him out.
I haven’t heard anything about an injury
It appears more related to numbers
He doesn’t play on ST so it’s difficult to have him active
You have Gallup, Cobb, and cooper all active and Austin active and playing ST. I think it’s just a numbers issue

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I had to look up 83. The dude hip congratulated Jarwin after making a block on the play. None other than Ventrell Bryant. Where is Cedrick Wilson? What happened to Devin Smith, who looked awesome early in the season going deep??
Anyone have answers?

Cowboys WRs and V. Bryant
  • Bryant played 2 snaps on offense.
    • He was promoted to the 53 to play special teams.
    • He has played a total of 4 snaps on offense in the 4 games he has been active.
  • Devin Smith started the 2 games that Gallup missed.
    • He had 2 catches on 6 targets in those 2 games combined.
    • He has not played since game 4.
  • Wilson has played in 5 games including the previous 2 games.
  • Multiple WRs have had injury issues (Gallup, Cooper, Cobb, Austin) but all were healthy after the bye week.
  • They obviously really like V.Bryant on special teams. He has good size at 6-3 to play special teams.
  • If they needed more depth at WR, Wilson would be active and get those snaps over Bryant.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
depends on how they are taught, and you have to remind them all the time.

So you know how many times cowboys coaches tell him specifically or his group?

Good players take personal responsibility for how they play.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just as bad or more, Moore won'teven use Pollard at all in the offense, much less the passing game. Pathetic. That's on Moore.
I'm as big of a fan of Pollard as anybody, but it's not true that they have not used him on offense.

He played 15 snaps on offense in the Giants game and 20 in the Eagles game.

They've had him and Zeke on the field together occasionally.

Rushing Attempts (average per game)
Pollard 6
Zeke 19.75

That's 23% for Pollard which is a reason number at this point.