Once Again, Dalton folds in a big game

ShaneFalco

Reaction score
Dalton had the 3rd fastest release time in the NFL at 2.5 seconds......if you watched the Giants game you will know why: the oline couldn't block anyone.

Dak and Daltons numbers are identical over their 1st 4 seasons and their last handful of games. The same conversation happens here everyday.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Dalton had the 3rd fastest release time in the NFL at 2.5 seconds......if you watched the Giants game you will know why: the oline couldn't block anyone.
yes, he did. because he is a dink and dunker....throwing down field consistently takes longer and rquires more accuracy...

and same Oline for Dak, yet different results...

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
wow, nice spin in defending Dalton and his ineptness, yet Dak played behind the same OL and produce twice as much. yeah yeah yeah, I know your comeback is we had martin, I guess a RG is the key to any successful offense in the NFL. Gawd knows if you have the best RG you are/should be superbowl bound...right?

and Dak has been and is a top 10 QB. is asking and negotiating market value money for NFL top 10 QBs......and none of you Dak detractors have been able to outline how that contract is going to hinder the team from building.....we already have 7 of the top 7 position contracts on the team, that with Dak's 32M salary on the books.....how many more do you need? this contract value stuff is nothing but an empty excuse for your dislike of Dak and none of you have been able to come up with any "realistic" not pie in the sky plan on how to replace Dak if he is not there. Gawd know Dalton is not the answer. he is incapable of leading anything any more. he barely can beat losing teams and their back up QBs...much less be successful at anything, given he has never had a history of succeeding when it matters.

and the crappy defense is not because of FA...its because we have not drafted well in 15 years......one impact player of sorts in Lawrence in 15 years of defensive drafting. 44 players....first rounders, bunch of second rounders, etc....fix that problem....or are you suggesting we should build a defense through FA? if yes then give me names, give me dollars, give me how.....don't just say something that's pie in the sky wishful thinking, madden NFLish....

Dak didn't have to play multiple games with Biadasz, Knight and McGovern...so yes, the OL is different now from then. Oh and Dak was 1 an

And 3 with a better line. If you are a top 3 guy like you want him to be...he better win at better than a 25% clip.

So...you keep asking people to throw out their plans for this and that. Let's see yours Champ. What are you doing in free agency and the draft when you pay Dak? What has been done to this point hasn't worked. Not even one NFC Championship game appearance in 5 years.

As for where can we get a replacement? Um, there are 5 first round QBs in this draft. If we decide to go a different way, pretty easy to start in this draft. It is a QB friendly offense with skill position galore around him and an OL that should be decent if everyone is back healthy.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Dak didn't have to play multiple games with Biadasz, Knight and McGovern...so yes, the OL is different now from then. Oh and Dak was 1 an

And 3 with a better line. If you are a top 3 guy like you want him to be...he better win at better than a 25% clip.

So...you keep asking people to throw out their plans for this and that. Let's see yours Champ. What are you doing in free agency and the draft when you pay Dak? What has been done to this point hasn't worked. Not even one NFC Championship game appearance in 5 years.

As for where can we get a replacement? Um, there are 5 first round QBs in this draft. If we decide to go a different way, pretty easy to start in this draft. It is a QB friendly offense with skill position galore around him and an OL that should be decent if everyone is back healthy.
Collins never played.

Smith got injured.

Martin was constant for Dak, so was Williams...

you are nitpicking...btw, Biadasz was first team all rookie team. and he was consistently graded as a good center....early in the year he wasn't as good. he got better as year went along.....

my plans, and opinion on FA and draft if you would have seen/read some of my other posts. I am against building any side of the ball through FA. it doesn't work.....

I think we need to upgrade at least 7 defensive positions. this doesn't mean you are going to suck for 3+ years as some claim, in their mind building a top 5 or all time best defense... given all the needs you can't fix it in FA even if you had 185M in cap space......I would pay dak (reasonable market value for top 10 QBs)....., given the offense produces, doesn't have any needs (except perhaps LT, but maybe we can wait another year).....I think of FA as filling a position now and then, if a player is available which often those who hit FA have injury, or are old or head cases....teams tend to keep their good players or trade them to another team that gives them a contract (ala cooper).....I wouldn't sign any defensive FAs in 2021.....we have 10,11 draft picks and the drafts focus should be on defense (I am not advocating to reach for a player...but we can discuss the strategy for defensive focus)...lets see where we are in 2022 before thinking about defensive FAs.....plus the cap is smaller because of covid in 2021, but most probably go back up to where it was supposed to be or close to it in 2022, 2023 and 2024 (expected to have huge jump). I don't expect to go from all time worst, really crappy defense to a good defense in one year, but we should see improvements if we hit on a few draft picks. if this defense is in mid 20s specially in some key critical areas, like 3rd down conversion, turnovers, sacks, pressures......subsequently having a better picture you can go into 2022, with a much better idea, sign a key player and go into draft knowing what needs to be done.....in 2022 we should be a middle of the pack or better defense......

there are 5 first round QBs in this drafts in your opinion, but every draft produces more bad/average QBs than successful ones...its a big gamble....2/3 years ago 4 went into the top 10. one of them is on a PS (rosen). one of the sucks (darnlod) on a bad jets team. another is average at best (Mayfield) and only one is seemingly working out (Allen). so taking a QB is a huge gamble. not only that, outside of a Luck or Manning, it will take several years to develop by which time, you have to pay them or franchise tag them....aren't we there already? why go back to square one....in this draft Lawrence is clearly the tops, but based on early reports, he is not a sure think like Luck or Manning.

but based on your posts, you seem to like to gamble on the draft....and if we miss on the QB (higher chance of that than hitting on one), then what? waste three years, four years and start over again....makes no sense.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Dak and Daltons numbers are identical over their 1st 4 seasons and their last handful of games. The same conversation happens here everyday.
dalton's first 4 seasons where 10 years ago.....perhaps you want to compare Dak's to a QB that started 25 years ago, with similar stats and ask them to come out of retirement...clearly Dalton regressed.... a lot...

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
dalton's first 4 seasons where 10 years ago.....perhaps you want to compare Dak's to a QB that started 25 years ago, with similar stats and ask them to come out of retirement...clearly Dalton regressed.... a lot...

Dalton never had the the kind of talent on offense around him that Dak has here with these receivers, RB and OL. The only consistent stud Dalton ever had was AJ Green...every other year they had a different #2 receiver and more often than not it was a TE. They never had a running back during his time there as good as Zeke.

But this isn't about Dalton.

It's about moving forward and what gives us the best chance. You say the draft is a crap shoot at QB. Well guess what buttercup? It's pretty much a crap shoot across the board. Every year there are sure things that bust, all across the board at every position. So you magically think that two years of drafting defense will be the difference for Dak, without any free agent help. Or you only want guaranteed free agents that will improve us. Well that doesn't happen either. Still a guess. So over this next two or three years...we just assume the guys we keep are going to just keep getting better? Or maybe leaks will sprout up elsewhere. Biadasz' ranking if I remember correctly was below average....as was Looney's. So, are we going to keep a guy that might not be a good starter to protect Dak up the middle? Good chance Tyron breaks down again, are we spending any money in FA to find a replacement that isn't a road bump? Conner Williams still shows that he can be bum rushed at the most inopportune times....are you spending money in FA or draft capital to fix that hole? Is Collins injury something he will come back to be the player he was his ONE good year? Any plan can be nitpicked. There are multiple ways to go.

As I have said many times....I prefer we keep Dak. In doing so, it will lessen our ability to build a better supporting cast. If we can't hit on 2-3 average or better starters and a couple more contributors in each draft then to a certain extent we will just be treading water. We blew our chance with Dak on a cheap deal. Other teams have done a much better job of taking advantage of rookie starters than we did. In many cases, you basically have to choose between having a great QB with an average supporting cast, or a rookie QB or bus driver with a great supporting cast. If we do keep Dak, he is going to be judged but his ability to rally the team and more or less carry the team to wins. Russell Wilson carries that team to 10+ wins year after year. Mahomes has taken his team to the Super Bowl and won it. Brady carries every team he has been on to their best seasons and he is 40+ years. Aaron Rodgers the same in Green Bay. If Dak gets the big money and doesn't get us to at the very least multiple NFC Championships if not Super Bowls, he will be looked at as not being worth it. And we will still be set back 3-4 years.

Most of us have waited at least 25 years for this team to become an annual contender...a couple years more aren't going to kill us.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Dalton never had the the kind of talent on offense around him that Dak has here with these receivers, RB and OL. The only consistent stud Dalton ever had was AJ Green...every other year they had a different #2 receiver and more often than not it was a TE. They never had a running back during his time there as good as Zeke.

But this isn't about Dalton.

It's about moving forward and what gives us the best chance. You say the draft is a crap shoot at QB. Well guess what buttercup? It's pretty much a crap shoot across the board. Every year there are sure things that bust, all across the board at every position. So you magically think that two years of drafting defense will be the difference for Dak, without any free agent help. Or you only want guaranteed free agents that will improve us. Well that doesn't happen either. Still a guess. So over this next two or three years...we just assume the guys we keep are going to just keep getting better? Or maybe leaks will sprout up elsewhere. Biadasz' ranking if I remember correctly was below average....as was Looney's. So, are we going to keep a guy that might not be a good starter to protect Dak up the middle? Good chance Tyron breaks down again, are we spending any money in FA to find a replacement that isn't a road bump? Conner Williams still shows that he can be bum rushed at the most inopportune times....are you spending money in FA or draft capital to fix that hole? Is Collins injury something he will come back to be the player he was his ONE good year? Any plan can be nitpicked. There are multiple ways to go.

As I have said many times....I prefer we keep Dak. In doing so, it will lessen our ability to build a better supporting cast. If we can't hit on 2-3 average or better starters and a couple more contributors in each draft then to a certain extent we will just be treading water. We blew our chance with Dak on a cheap deal. Other teams have done a much better job of taking advantage of rookie starters than we did. In many cases, you basically have to choose between having a great QB with an average supporting cast, or a rookie QB or bus driver with a great supporting cast. If we do keep Dak, he is going to be judged but his ability to rally the team and more or less carry the team to wins. Russell Wilson carries that team to 10+ wins year after year. Mahomes has taken his team to the Super Bowl and won it. Brady carries every team he has been on to their best seasons and he is 40+ years. Aaron Rodgers the same in Green Bay. If Dak gets the big money and doesn't get us to at the very least multiple NFC Championships if not Super Bowls, he will be looked at as not being worth it. And we will still be set back 3-4 years.

Most of us have waited at least 25 years for this team to become an annual contender...a couple years more aren't going to kill us.
that's one of the biggest pile of crap ever....

Dak in his first three and half years had Witten, Dez (broken down and often injured) and lets hear a woohoo for Beasley. 2018 he started with Williams and what's his name as the starting WRs....only after 2018 did he get cooper and since has produced one of the best pass offenses...

Andy had AJ Green, among the top 3 WRs in the league and borderline HOF candidate.....through his first 4 years... as well as Gresham, Mohammed Sanu, Brandon Tate, Marvin Jones....all of whom heck of a lot better on any given day than Stone Hand Williams....

so this notion of Andy had nothing and lifted buses single handedly and jumped over tall buildings (yes, I am exagerating) crap doesn't wash at all.

and yes, I agree. moving forward and giving us the best chance....and Andy doesn't. end of story. he in fact gives us zero chance outside of perhaps picking in the top 5 if that should be our goal.

and its not a crapshoot, if you go with a known quantity, which is a top 10 QB, proven in the NFL...going with the unknown (draft QB) is a crapshoot.. and if I have to take crapshoot, I rather do that on defense. instead of destroying a position that's in great shape and add another uncertainty to the most important position on the team and still have to go through the crapshoot for defensive players....that's just adding to your problems as opposed to solving them.

and youmention those players and called them average....what's the difference between those "average" players protecting Dak, Dalton or "unknown QB"?

and I don't think two years of defensive drafts is good for Dak....its good for the DEFENSE and its good for the TEAM. geez, is that a hard concept to understand!!!

and yes, IMHO in 2021 we shouldn't be going after any defensive FAs.....makes no sense....

and sounds like you are advocating building a team through FA....if yes, then .tell me which team did it last? and how successful were they?

its funny that you say:
"So over this next two or three years...we just assume the guys we keep are going to just keep getting better? Or maybe leaks will sprout up elsewhere."...this makes no sense.....yes, every team in the NFL hopes their players get better. will they? is the unknown and until you go through it you won't know...so is CD going to get better? or should we cut our losses and not take a chance and just dump him on a trade and cash in while we can? should we just get rid of Riggs, he showed potential, so lets cash in get a draft pick and lets just go and build a defense through FA. lets just get 5 or 6 players through FA....is that the smart idea? teams that succeed do it through smart drafting and keeping their own players and fill a gap here or maybe there through FA.....if we can't draft well, then its all moot anyway...if we can't draft well, that goes for QB position as well.

and its been proven over and over and over and over and over and over and over again...signing Dak is not going to stop you from signing other players. we had this very year 7 of the highest paid contracts for their respective positions on the team, plus Dak's 32M.....

and at this point since Wilson, Brady, Mahomes, Rodgers are not available Dak is our best shot....and btw, I rank all of those QBs ahead of Dak. with Brady on his way out of the league soon to follow Rodgers....