One Cowboy is grossly Underpaid

stiletto

Reaction score
Was just looking at Aubrey's contract on OTC. (https://overthecap.com/player/brandon-aubrey/11576)

202328$750,000$750,0000.3%
202429$915,000$915,0000.4%$0$915,000
202530$1,030,000$1,030,0000.4%

He's grossly underpaid. The one guy that has CLEARLY outperformed his contract. I'm all for paying guys that deserve it and he's a weapon. Pay him NOW, deserved. Justin Tucker who is arguably the best kicker in the league makes 5x the amount Aubrey does. I think he needs to be closer to that. Not above but closer.

Lock him up Jethro!!

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tucker also proved himself over multiple years and that's why he's paid a lot more.

NFL history is filled with players who had great first or second years and then dropped off considerably due to injuries and other reasons.

Aubrey had a great first year and his 66-yard preseason field goal was amazing to see, but he has only played in the NFL one season.

Let's see what he does this season and if he can maintain his consistency this season like last season.

More importantly, let's make sure he can make the clutch kicks when the game or season is on the line.

Stats and records are great, but what matters most is making kicks when your games and season depend on it.

stiletto

Reaction score
Tucker also proved himself over multiple years and that's why he's paid a lot more.

NFL history is filled with players who had great first or second years and then dropped off considerably due to injuries and other reasons.

Aubrey had a great first year and his 66-yard preseason field goal was amazing to see, but he has only played in the NFL one season.

Let's see what he does this season and if he can maintain his consistency this season like last season.

More importantly, let's make sure he can make the clutch kicks when the game or season is on the line.

Stats and records are great, but what matters most is making kicks when your games and season depend on it.
I agree but I've seen enough to know he's better than the FA contract he currently has. Like I said, not Justin Tucker money but why not upgrade it for the work he has done so far? Is Jerry really THAT cheap?

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
I'm very critical of the team's management, but I have to give credit where credit is due. What a great find he was! I'm all for extending him.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree but I've seen enough to know he's better than the FA contract he currently has. Like I said, not Justin Tucker money but why not upgrade it for the work he has done so far? Is Jerry really THAT cheap?
From a fan standpoint, I agree with you. He played a big role in the regular season results last year beyond just the points he scored.

When teams play a team with a solid kicker who can also hit 55+ yard field goals regularly it impacts their defensive schemes, especially later in games.

From a business standpoint though, teams offset salary cap hits from veteran free agent and extension contracts with lower and less impactful rookie drafted and rookie free agent contracts.

The Cowboys have Aubrey under contract for this season and next season, so they have time to see if he can maintain his accuracy and reliability in his second season.

If he has a great 2024, then I think it would be smart for them to proactively offer him a multi-year extension in the off-season.

stiletto

Reaction score
He is a UDFA on his rookie deal.

They don't come cheaper than that.

Also, paying him more now (when it isn't necessary like Steele) can get you in trouble.
In trouble money wise? Let's say they gave him a raise of "double".. That's $2 million. Drop in the bucket compared to other players or no?

stiletto

Reaction score
From a fan standpoint, I agree with you. He played a big role in the regular season results last year beyond just the points he scored.

When teams play a team with a solid kicker who can also hit 55+ yard field goals regularly it impacts their defensive schemes, especially later in games.

From a business standpoint though, teams offset salary cap hits from veteran free agent and extension contracts with lower and less impactful rookie drafted and rookie free agent contracts.

The Cowboys have Aubrey under contract for this season and next season, so they have time to see if he can maintain his accuracy and reliability in his second season.

If he has a great 2024, then I think it would be smart for them to proactively offer him a multi-year extension in the off-season.
I guess I am just thinking that giving a kicker like Aubrey a nice salary bump is not exactly going to break the bank. If you double his salary, it's cheaper than what we signed Joseph for.

If I owned a company, I would like rewarding for performance, don't care if it is "new" performance. Believe it should be recognized.

heir

Reaction score
Was just looking at Aubrey's contract on OTC. (https://overthecap.com/player/brandon-aubrey/11576)

He's grossly underpaid. The one guy that has CLEARLY outperformed his contract. I'm all for paying guys that deserve it and he's a weapon. Pay him NOW, deserved. Justin Tucker who is arguably the best kicker in the league makes 5x the amount Aubrey does. I think he needs to be closer to that. Not above but closer.

Lock him up Jethro!!
While I agree with the over arching point, kicker is the most erratic position in the league. One year they great and the absolute next they are horrible. Let him play out at least this year before looking to give him that raise.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I guess I am just thinking that giving a kicker like Aubrey a nice salary bump is not exactly going to break the bank. If you double his salary, it's cheaper than what we signed Joseph for.

If I owned a company, I would like rewarding for performance, don't care if it is "new" performance. Believe it should be recognized.
As a fan, I completely agree, but the NFL is full of end-of-contract-dead-weight (not talking dead money) contracts that become less justified as the years pass and the offset to that are the underpaid rookie (drafted and free agent) contracts.

That said, I still go back to my original stance though in that is we have seen way too many one-year wonders who fall back to earth or sometimes even out of the league one to two years later.

While I agree players should be rewarded when they have amazing seasons, I think doing so after only one season is a bit premature.

If Aubrey has a great season in 2024 like he did in 2023, he will have no problem getting a big multi-year contract next year.

JBS

Reaction score
Same people in here complaining about Dallas waiting til last minute to sign extensions are complaining about paying a guy early hahahah

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

Lock him up Jethro!!
You can’t start setting a precedent for paying a player after only one season. The one relief teams have is taking advantage of a players rookie deal. Aubrey still needs to add some skins on the wall, he’s only played one season.

stiletto

Reaction score
As a fan, I completely agree, but the NFL is full of end-of-contract-dead-weight (not talking dead money) contracts that become less justified as the years pass and the offset to that are the underpaid rookie (drafted and free agent) contracts.

That said, I still go back to my original stance though in that is we have seen way too many one-year wonders who fall back to earth or sometimes even out of the league one to two years later.

While I agree players should be rewarded when they have amazing seasons, I think doing so after only one season is a bit premature.

If Aubrey has a great season in 2024 like he did in 2023, he will have no problem getting a big multi-year contract next year.
Yeah I agree with you too. I am not thinking a 10 year deal or anything. Maybe an extra year and double the salary because his current one is sad and pathetic. LOL

speedkilz88

Reaction score
There are rules about when you can extend a guy on a rookie contract. I think it's when they are going into their 3rd season (and that is for udfa guys). The last guy I remember like that was La'el Collins.

stiletto

Reaction score
There are rules about when you can extend a guy on a rookie contract. I think it's when they are going into their 3rd season.
Now that is good info! Didn't know quite honestly. So after this year Aubrey would be eligible for a contract adjustment?

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There are rules about when you can extend a guy on a rookie contract. I think it's when they are going into their 3rd season (and that is for udfa guys). The last guy I remember like that was La'el Collins.
I was thinking undrafted rookie contracts were an exception, but you are right.

Drafted rookies have to play three years of their rookie contract to be able to get an extension and undrafted rookies have to play two years to get one.

That means the earliest they could even offer Aubrey an extension would be after this season, which makes sense for the reason I listed above.