One Cowboy is grossly Underpaid

stiletto

Reaction score
I was thinking undrafted rookie contracts were an exception, but you are right.

Drafted rookies have to play three years of their rookie contract to be able to get an extension and undrafted rookies have to play two years to get one.

That means the earliest they could even offer Aubrey an extension would be after this season, which makes sense for the reason I listed above.
I don't know why but I keep thinking in my mind that he's been doing it for a couple years already. At least I don't underappreciate the dude. We can revisit the thread a year from now I guess?

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know why but I keep thinking in my mind that he's been doing it for a couple years already. At least I don't underappreciate the dude. We can revisit the thread a year from now I guess?
I hope he has a great 2024 to push you to bring it back up again next year! :D

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Was just looking at Aubrey's contract on OTC. (https://overthecap.com/player/brandon-aubrey/11576)

202328$750,000$750,0000.3%
202429$915,000$915,0000.4%$0$915,000
202530$1,030,000$1,030,0000.4%

He's grossly underpaid. The one guy that has CLEARLY outperformed his contract. I'm all for paying guys that deserve it and he's a weapon. Pay him NOW, deserved. Justin Tucker who is arguably the best kicker in the league makes 5x the amount Aubrey does. I think he needs to be closer to that. Not above but closer.

Lock him up Jethro!!
He’s had one good year lol. The guy before him was underpaid until he sucked.

Loso86

Reaction score
Was just looking at Aubrey's contract on OTC. (https://overthecap.com/player/brandon-aubrey/11576)

He's grossly underpaid. The one guy that has CLEARLY outperformed his contract. I'm all for paying guys that deserve it and he's a weapon. Pay him NOW, deserved. Justin Tucker who is arguably the best kicker in the league makes 5x the amount Aubrey does. I think he needs to be closer to that. Not above but closer.

Lock him up Jethro!!
Don't say it out loud! Because then he'd want to be paid and would become an enemy of most of our fans!!!!

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I can picture Jerry's face if he were to read this thread, only to see how generous we are with his money!

His mouth would likely form a huge upside-down U in appearance (not a pleasant one, by a longshot) :(

Last edited:

stiletto

Reaction score
I can just picture Jerry's face if he were to read this stuff and sees how generous we are with his money!

His mouth would undoubtedly look like a huge upside-down U in its appearance!! Not his best look by a longshot . . . :(
What are you talkin about? People have been willing to give away $70 million to Dak. I am only talking about an extra Mil here.. LOL!!

dueyhemlock

Hog Hunter
Reaction score
There are rules about when you can extend a guy on a rookie contract. I think it's when they are going into their 3rd season (and that is for udfa guys). The last guy I remember like that was La'el Collins.
I think your right.
Jerry wanted to juice up his contract to make up for that 1st round freefall / murder investigation thing.
Remember, Jerry had him and momma bear at their house for dinner. Wouldn't surprise me if there was some type of backdoor agreement made then.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Kick the winning field goal in the NFC Championship and then the Super Bowl, and we'll talk.

stiletto

Reaction score
Kick the winning field goal in the NFC Championship and then the Super Bowl, and we'll talk.
Do you think fans hold the same standards to paying the QB or a lot of other players? They should but I don't think they do.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Do you think fans hold the same standards to paying the QB or a lot of other players? They should but I don't think they do.
No. But the quarterback is more integral to the game than the kicker.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Tucker also proved himself over multiple years and that's why he's paid a lot more.

NFL history is filled with players who had great first or second years and then dropped off considerably due to injuries and other reasons.

Aubrey had a great first year and his 66-yard preseason field goal was amazing to see, but he has only played in the NFL one season.

Let's see what he does this season and if he can maintain his consistency this season like last season.

More importantly, let's make sure he can make the clutch kicks when the game or season is on the line.

Stats and records are great, but what matters most is making kicks when your games and season depend on it.

This

Brax

Reaction score

Lock him up Jethro!!
Jerry still hasn’t recovered from the Vanderjagt contract

Praxit

Reaction score
..let him continue to do this thing. If he's still kicking up a storm. Jerry will compensate him. Always has.

DandyDon52

Reaction score

Lock him up Jethro!!
what they could do is redo his contract and add incentive bonuses ,so if he preforms good, he gets more than the current
salary. Nothing wrong with doing that.

RoboQB

Reaction score
Go ahead, name the top paid kicker in the league.
I double dog dare you.

Tussinman

Reaction score
Tucker also proved himself over multiple years and that's why he's paid a lot more.

NFL history is filled with players who had great first or second years and then dropped off considerably due to injuries and other reasons.

Aubrey had a great first year and his 66-yard preseason field goal was amazing to see, but he has only played in the NFL one season.

Let's see what he does this season and if he can maintain his consistency this season like last season.

More importantly, let's make sure he can make the clutch kicks when the game or season is on the line.

Stats and records are great, but what matters most is making kicks when your games and season depend on it.
To add to this kicker is notorious for being the #1 position in the entire NFL when it comes to players being hot and cold. You'll see a kicker made all-pro a single time and then the next 6 years he's playing for 5 different teams.

There's only been 3 kickers in the last 50 years to make at least 5 pro bowls and only 2 kickers in that same span to make more than 3 first team all pro teams. It's a very bi polar position