One interesting dynamic this year

HungryLion

Reaction score
Sure, it might be true for when they bring on local analysts, but national analysts aren't beholden to Philly. I am not talking about the local hosts here being overly bullish on the Eagles. I am talking about national pundits who are guests on their shows. There is truly a wave from national pundits that the Eagles are the best team (or one of the 2-3 best teams) in the NFL.

They will be one of the better teams if Wentz stays healthy most likely.

The biggest question is as cowboys fans have to ask is, can Dallas also be one of the 3 best teams in the NFL. Which isn’t unreasonable to feel they might be.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"How can this team/coach be taken seriously?" I'll give you $5 billion reason why. Did you see this latest figure for franchises? I know you have put pen to paper plenty of times on here concerning our owner but if you made this investment like he did then obviously our owner knows what it takes to make money with this team. Just sayin', not that I agree with every decision he's made but man...$5 billion this franchise is estimated at.
No disrespect intended to you...But If the monetary value of this team impresses you, you should be thrilled. I don’t give a rat’s asset what this team is worth financially. Last time I checked, a team’s financial value was not on an NFL scoreboard.

glimmerman

Reaction score
In 2015 and 2017, we were the team coming off the NFC East title the year before and much of the scrutiny and hype heading into those seasons was focused on the Cowboys.

But this year, as the division champs, other than local hype, most of the hype nationally is on Philly. Not that it's not exactly unwarranted, as if healthy, Philly should be pretty good.

But this team seems to play better when they are the afterthought, not the team being chased. There will still be some pressure on them, obviously, when you consider Garrett is on the last year of his deal, they may be paying Dak an elite contract, but the focus nationally seems to be on how great Philly is and just how we might be able to grab a WC spot if things go the right way.
I like us being the underdog.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But this team seems to play better when they are the afterthought, not the team being chased.
Another way of saying this is that people never fully account for (a) regression to the mean, (b) how much injuries and other factors wreak havoc on seasons, and (c) how much randomness there is in a 16-game season. All of those are much much bigger factors than preseason media and fan expectations.

pitt33

Reaction score
My take on this year is simple: There should be no excuse for the Cowboys not having a deep run this year. We have enough talent. The question remains in the coaching arena as Garrett has shown to be a decent regular season HC but has been mostly out-coached in the playoffs.

The playoffs are where this team and its HC should be measured. A non-playoff year or even a “one and done” failure to advance past the divisional round should be Garrett’s last stand. After 9 full seasons as HC, he has had plenty of time to show he’s capable of taking this team to heights beyond a wild card win. If this owner continues to look the other way or make excuses for his HC not advancing, how can this organization be taken seriously?
Barring injuries at critical positions, I just can’t believe Jerry keeps Garrett if there is anything less than a championship appearance.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Barring injuries at critical positions, I just can’t believe Jerry keeps Garrett if there is anything less than a championship appearance.
Me too. But Jerral Wayne Jones doesn’t make sound personnel moves at HC very often.

Doomsday77

Reaction score
No disrespect intended to you...But If the monetary value of this team impresses you, you should be thrilled. I don’t give a rat’s asset what this team is worth financially. Last time I checked, a team’s financial value was not on an NFL scoreboard.
No disrespect taken Bob but if you are under the impression he cares more about the scoreboard than money you are sadly mistaken. Look at the big picture, is his family legacy concerned more about Super Bowls or the almighty $$? Ask yourself that.

Techsass

Reaction score
I don't know about "significantly" worse but there is little question that nationally the Eagles are more thought of than us. I live up here in the Philly area and the local radio stations have been parading some national "experts" through their shows and almost all have argued the Eagles are not only the best team in the division........ they might be the best team in the entire NFL. Some have given the Cowboys some credit when talking the division but it's clear the national perspective is the Eagles are the team to beat in the division.
Off topic, but I'm curious. Do they show a lot of the Cowboys games in Philly? We miss a lot of the NFCE games here in Dallas that I'd like to see.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Off topic, but I'm curious. Do they show a lot of the Cowboys games in Philly? We miss a lot of the NFCE games here in Dallas that I'd like to see.

Most seasons we get about 13-14 games on TV.

If I remember correctly, last year the only two games that weren’t televised here were the Lions and Bucs games.

every cowboys NFC east game is on here. Plus the Cowboys always have a large number of primetime games and the “America’s game of the week”