Twitter: One more sack this year and Micah joins rare company

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That is a generalization. It sounds reasonable as you state, but a fistful of jersey in hand or an arm around the body of the rusher are something that is a violation.

The trick is the strike and maintaining leveraged contact with arm extention.

Call the penalties as that just introduces unfair advantages by cheating lines for a team run by a system of cheating as with a Bill Bellichick team. Does everyone think a Houston Astro World Series cheating is worth the loss of integrity as well? How about Denver's current coach as well?

Too many just to keep enforcing during games? How about just starting a flag football league where forearms to the face and arm bars are ignored?
Im not sure how or why you’ve brought in off field rule violations into the discussion? Thought penalties were the issue.

My point is a generalization and it is reasonable . Doesn’t mean there aren’t exceptions .

starfrombirth

Reaction score
Bruh ...

RULE 12 PLAYER CONDUCT
SECTION 1 BLOCKING, USE OF HANDS AND ARMS
ARTICLE 3. ILLEGAL BLOCK BY OFFENSIVE PLAYER.
.​
.​
Blocking Notes:
(1) When a defensive player is held by an offensive player during the following situations, Offensive holding will not be called:
(a) if the runner is being tackled simultaneously by any defensive player;
(b) if the runner simultaneously goes out of bounds;
(c) if a fair catch is made simultaneously;
(e) if the action occurs away from the point of attack and not within close-line play;
(f) if a free kick results in a touchback;
(g) if a scrimmage kick simultaneously becomes a touchback;
(h) if the action is part of a double team block, unless the defender splits the double team, gets to the outside of either
blocker, or is taken to the ground; or
(i) if, during a defensive charge, a defensive player uses a “rip” technique that puts an offensive player in a position
that would normally be holding, unless and until the defender’s feet are taken away from him by the blocker’s action.
(2) If a blocker falls on or pushes down a defender whose momentum is carrying him to the ground, Offensive holding will
not be called unless the blocker prevents the defender from rising from the ground.
(3) If the official has not seen the entire action that sends a defender to the ground, Offensive holding will not be called.

Know thy rules. This is why real journalism is dead. Every emotional little runt can now whine in print with the internet.
I would submit to you that 90% of the time the holds are not called, he is within "close-line play" especially as he's going after the qb. The only way he is NOT within close-line play is BECAUSE of the hold! Also, Micah is fast enough to run down nearly any player on the field, so again, the reason he isn't close is because of the hold. I'm not trying to say Micah would make every play that he was held on, but there is a great many that he would've. And he has a right and is right to bring this out into the light. Maybe I'm a conspiracist but I really believe that some of the officials have unconscious bias because of their own fandom and are more inclined to call or not call against the cowboys. I'm not saying they are doing it consciously but out of unconscious bias.

starfrombirth

Reaction score
That's a great milestone for Micah!!

On another note, Reggie White was able to get 52 as a defensive tackle??? Sheesh!!
Reggie might be listed as a DT but I watched every game they played against the Cowboys and he almost always played on the end to rush the qb.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
If you are directing at me, and insinuating some type of legalistic superiority dry up....now YOU, Mr. Rule poster...on a direct drop back and Parsons is rushing from the end or attempting to loop around, genius rule repeater...tell me how Parsons is then away from the action. Now give me a rock solid distance that applies for all defensive players rushing the quarterback. If you comment, use your own time and accountability. You still didn't understand what Parsons was saying was wrong.

You now saying all rushers on a drop back are away from action? Just go back to sleep then...Just like refs called completed passes were not, until that was clarified also.
Zero idea what the hell you're trying to say. I thought my last sentence was obvious that I was referring to the article, which you quoted, where the author has no idea what the rule he's railing against actually says (like 93% of this board). Dude conducted no research and was just looking for the emotional response for clicks which he got. If there's anything to be directed at you, it's from being "sucked," as Parcells would say. Happens to us all from time to time.

blueblood70

Reaction score

If Micah Parsons records one sack in Buffalo tomorrow, he joins all time greats Reggie White, Derrick Thomas and Dwight Freeney with 40 or more sacks in their first 3 seasons. Amazing.

I don't know any statistics but I do know from my eyes Josh Allen is a very hard quarterback to sack not just cause he's big and hard to pull down he moves a lot he takes off and runs a lot the dude's really big so I'm not sure it's gonna happen today especially with all the holding calls that don't get called against Parsons that might hinder him moving up that list but I'd like to see him get 20 but it just seems to be hard because he gets held so much...

blueblood70

Reaction score
I always wonder why LT gets way more props than Derrick Thomas, if its not even i would give the nod to Thomas.
Well I don't know the answer to that either but Lawrence Taylor was a game record he wasn't just a sack guy he was a what appear to be a really big middle linebacker that can play like a defensive end but he stopped the run as aggressive and angry as he tackled and sacked quarterbacks... And yes Derek Thomas was great I believe he was a Texas Longhorn that's my team but is it long time ago so I can't remember offhand... But Lt. had a nickname I.E LT for good reason he has a game record from all aspects of the field run game pass game I got interceptions fumble recoveries fumbles returned for touchdowns This is why he got talked about more I think Derrick Thomas was just sneaky good everyone forgot how great he was because he was one of those quiet guys.....

MarcusRock

Reaction score
I would submit to you that 90% of the time the holds are not called, he is within "close-line play" especially as he's going after the qb. The only way he is NOT within close-line play is BECAUSE of the hold! Also, Micah is fast enough to run down nearly any player on the field, so again, the reason he isn't close is because of the hold. I'm not trying to say Micah would make every play that he was held on, but there is a great many that he would've. And he has a right and is right to bring this out into the light. Maybe I'm a conspiracist but I really believe that some of the officials have unconscious bias because of their own fandom and are more inclined to call or not call against the cowboys. I'm not saying they are doing it consciously but out of unconscious bias.
I would submit to you that 90% of the time Micah is rushing from the edge so he's more likely to NOT be within close line of play than so, especially if the play is run away from him.

So officials who rotate crews among all the teams in the league are all biased against the Cowboys and not some recent winning team like the Patriots? Interesting. Are you going to go the route of the Cowboys beating their teams when they were younger but magically not applying to the Steelers, Dolphins and Raiders who were also winners in the 70s? That's some top notch mind-reading for people you don't know from a nail in the wall (i.e, making spit up).

RonnieT24

Reaction score
LT was the better overall linebacker but there Thomas pass rushing skills was second to none. I believe he had to two 6 sack games.
I think Thomas had a 7 sack game against the Bucs one year. I think the reason he doesn't get as much shine as LT was his career (and life) were cut short. Had he played another 5 years people might be comparing all pass rushers to him and not LT.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I would submit to you that 90% of the time Micah is rushing from the edge so he's more likely to NOT be within close line of play than so, especially if the play is run away from him.

So officials who rotate crews among all the teams in the league are all biased against the Cowboys and not some recent winning team like the Patriots? Interesting. Are you going to go the route of the Cowboys beating their teams when they were younger but magically not applying to the Steelers, Dolphins and Raiders who were also winners in the 70s? That's some top notch mind-reading for people you don't know from a nail in the wall.
None of the teams you mention was dubbed "America's Team" by NFL films. The Cowboys were. That moniker opened the Cowboys up for a level lf jealousy and hate most people can't begin toe relate to. Given that the majority of people in power in the NFL and most of the officials would have grown up during that time (including the commissioner who comes from a Ratscum season ticket holding family) it is absolutely not outside the realm of possibility that there is organic anti-Cowboys bias around NFL office and officiating circles. There does not need to be any "conspiracy" as people like to characterize it. I mean when did we have a meeting to decide that ****-ism was bad? Yet somehow 99.9% of us agree that it is.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
That's a great milestone for Micah!!

On another note, Reggie White was able to get 52 as a defensive tackle??? Sheesh!!
I don't think Reggie White was a DT. If he had been then he would never have had those epic battles with Erik Williams.. most of which Williams won by the way..

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I don't think Reggie White was a DT. If he had been then he would never have had those epic battles with Erik Williams.. most of which Williams won by the way..
Yea, he was DE, not sure why some places say DT. Wow, what a player though.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
None of the teams you mention was dubbed "America's Team" by NFL films. The Cowboys were. That moniker opened the Cowboys up for a level lf jealousy and hate most people can't begin toe relate to. Given that the majority of people in power in the NFL and most of the officials would have grown up during that time (including the commissioner who comes from a Ratscum season ticket holding family) it is absolutely not outside the realm of possibility that there is organic anti-Cowboys bias around NFL office and officiating circles. There does not need to be any "conspiracy" as people like to characterize it. I mean when did we have a meeting to decide that ****-ism was bad? Yet somehow 99.9% of us agree that it is.
It's also not out of the realm of possibility that people actually try to do their jobs effectively because they're under a video microscope every week. If you want to go with the simplest explanation that doesn't involve claiming to see what's inside a stranger's head and all.

glimmerman

Reaction score
When they don’t call the obvious hold on Parsons when he is coming right up the middle is bad enough but then to say he could not have made the play is just stupid. If not held he is on the qb in like 2 steps..

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I watched Derrick Thomas and he for sure took over games..again to me he is every bit as good as LT.
Thomas no doubt one of the great ones but history would consider LT the greatest along with a couple championships.

I’ve never seen any credible sports writers call Thomas as great.

PlantMySeed

Reaction score
I'm surprised Shawne Merriman didn't reach this statistic. I remember him having 18 sacks in 12 games during the year he got suspended for HGH use.

starfrombirth

Reaction score

So officials who rotate crews among all the teams in the league are all biased against the Cowboys and not some recent winning team like the Patriots? Interesting. Are you going to go the route of the Cowboys beating their teams when they were younger but magically not applying to the Steelers, Dolphins and Raiders who were also winners in the 70s? That's some top notch mind-reading for people you don't know from a nail in the wall (i.e, making spit up).
You have obviously not read my posts. I have never subscribed to the notion that a team isn't good just because they aren't the Cowboys and I have also never ascribed to the notion that the Cowboys are good just because they are my favorite team. However, that's neither here nor there as it pertains to this topic. Micah is one of, if not the, fastest linebackers in the league and he has the capability to make a lot of plays if he isn't held. Heck! he makes a lot of plays even when he IS held. Holding is holding and to say that one of the most physically gifted players in the league is not in line of the play and couldn't make it is disingenuous at best and blatantly biased at worst.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
You have obviously not read my posts. I have never subscribed to the notion that a team isn't good just because they aren't the Cowboys and I have also never ascribed to the notion that the Cowboys are good just because they are my favorite team. However, that's neither here nor there as it pertains to this topic. Micah is one of, if not the, fastest linebackers in the league and he has the capability to make a lot of plays if he isn't held. Heck! he makes a lot of plays even when he IS held. Holding is holding and to say that one of the most physically gifted players in the league is not in line of the play and couldn't make it is disingenuous at best and blatantly biased at worst.
It's not biased when the point of contention is in the dang rulebook. You obviously did not read my post quoting the rule in question.