One of the many bad calls by the referees last night

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know there were several bad calls last night including a couple that benefited the Cowboys so this is just about trying to understand the logic in why they called this a penalty.

This is from the NFL Rules on Offensive Pass Interference ..

PASS INTERFERENCE - It is pass interference by either team when any act by a player more than one yard beyond the line of scrimmage significantly hinders an eligible player’s opportunity to catch the ball. Pass interference can only occur when a forward pass is thrown from behind the line of scrimmage, regardless of whether the pass is legal or illegal, or whether it crosses the line.

This is the play where they called pass interference on Tolbert blocking ..

b617OQJ.png

The screenshot is the right at the moment Tolbert initiated contact with the defender.

Did they really think the dender was going to catch that ball if he was not blocked?

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Blocking before the pass is included in OPI, but if your snapshot is right at contact the ball was already in the air and should have been legal at least in my understanding of the rule.
But maybe it has to be caught before contact, but I've seen plenty of plays that didn't get flagged if that's the case.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Blocking before the pass is included in OPI, but if your snapshot is right at contact the ball was already in the air and should have been legal at least in my understanding of the rule.
But maybe it has to be caught before contact, but I've seen plenty of plays that didn't get flagged if that's the case.
But the rule states, "significantly hinders an eligible player’s opportunity to catch the ball" and I cannot see anyway that the defender could close 10 yards in a fraction of a second to catch that pass.

sbark

Reaction score
Another call that seems illogical....
Tibbedeau jumped offsides, flags flew
He stayed in neutral zone, gaining advantage
With that advantage he drew a holding call on Gueyton......

And Gueyton says we need better refs
He has got a point

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
The first holding call on Guyton was questionable. They do get a lot of flag fests on TNFB but it started making the game unwatchable.
3rd QTR, 3rd & 1. Moot because the pass to the FB was INC.

But Guyton flagged for holding. Thibodeaux clearly tripped over T.Smith's leg and fell (and took Guyton down with him)

Dp4SXtY.jpg

speedkilz88

Reaction score
3rd QTR, 3rd & 1. Moot because the pass to the FB was INC.

But Guyton flagged for holding. Thibodeaux clearly tripped over T.Smith's leg and fell (and took Guyton down with him)

Dp4SXtY.jpg
Cowboys would likely have ran on 4th and 1, which is why the giants accepted the flag.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Bad thing is, you will not get the benefit of the doubt, when you lead the league in flags each year. This has been a problem for years and no coach can seen to change the culture.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Bad thing is, you will not get the benefit of the doubt, when you lead the league in flags each year. This has been a problem for years and no coach can seen to change the culture.
If they're not getting the benefit of the doubt, you are admitting it's already baked in and there is nothing that they can do about it.