One of these backup QBs could end up in Dallas

Sheepherder

Reaction score
Right now, I like Foles but they'll probably wait longer if they have to make a choice.

NotForLong

Reaction score
I’d forgotten what he did.

“ Haskins was caught at an event surrounded by strippers and on video without a mask.”

That was definitely an irresponsible event during height of Covid but I’m not sure Id describe as crazy or criminal . And use as a behavioral pattern against him. His performance might be enough on its own. But his talent level in the right situation could be an asset. At least as a back up. Just saying. I wouldn’t shut him out just for that incident .
His wife knocked his tooth out

Pass

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
The issue is that due to Dallas yet again not having a legitimate quality back-up QB, especially with Dak coming back from a really bad injury, they have put themselves in a desperate position wherein they would need to provide another team a draft pick or player as compensation. They could have signed a decent free agent this off-season, retained Dalton, or drafted a young QB but they chose not to do any of those things and instead put all their eggs on Dak being healthy.

Dallas fails in the 6 P's of preparedness:

Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Perfectly Put Pardner........ as for the Dallas FO, we say it all the time, they are playing checkers while the winning teams are playing chess. If they weren't hung up on hurting Dak's feelings, they would go for Foles in a Texas two-step.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don’t know about you, but I’m not thrilled with the idea of Cooper Rush, Garrett Gilbert or The Nooch being our backup QB next year.

Here are some backups that may end being available come late August when roster cuts start happening. Most of these guys would be a step up and wouldn’t break the bank:
  • Nick Foles- Bears- currently the 3rd stringer behind Andy Dalton and Justin Fields. The bears want too much in a trade but if we are patient, he may get cut anyway. He’s 32 and obviously has a ton of successful experience.
  • CJ Beathard- Jags- 28 yr old former 3rd round pick of the niners is now 3rd string in Jax. He’s started a few NFL games and has a better arm than any of our current backups.
  • Jeff Driskel- Texans- also 28 and former 3rd rounder drafted by Niners. He has started 6 games in the NFL, has thrown 13 TDs to 8 picks and is fairly mobile.
  • Shane Buechelle- 3rd stringer in KC. He’s probably going to make their practice squad but there’s a possibility he’s cut in late August.
IMO, all these guys would be better than our current situation. If we are patient until late Aug or early Sept, one of these guys or some other may fall to us.

I left out the pats Jarrett Stidham because he’s hurt and pitts’ Dwayne Haskins because he’s crazy. No thanks to either of those guys.

Get Foles in here ASAP!!!

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I don’t know about you, but I’m not thrilled with the idea of Cooper Rush, Garrett Gilbert or The Nooch being our backup QB next year.

Here are some backups that may end being available come late August when roster cuts start happening. Most of these guys would be a step up and wouldn’t break the bank:
  • Nick Foles- Bears- currently the 3rd stringer behind Andy Dalton and Justin Fields. The bears want too much in a trade but if we are patient, he may get cut anyway. He’s 32 and obviously has a ton of successful experience.
  • CJ Beathard- Jags- 28 yr old former 3rd round pick of the niners is now 3rd string in Jax. He’s started a few NFL games and has a better arm than any of our current backups.
  • Jeff Driskel- Texans- also 28 and former 3rd rounder drafted by Niners. He has started 6 games in the NFL, has thrown 13 TDs to 8 picks and is fairly mobile.
  • Shane Buechelle- 3rd stringer in KC. He’s probably going to make their practice squad but there’s a possibility he’s cut in late August.
IMO, all these guys would be better than our current situation. If we are patient until late Aug or early Sept, one of these guys or some other may fall to us.

I left out the pats Jarrett Stidham because he’s hurt and pitts’ Dwayne Haskins because he’s crazy. No thanks to either of those guys.
I wouldn't mind foles and beathard...in that order....Bears may try to trade foles for some low round pick perhaps

Texasfootball21

Reaction score
If the native Texan Nick Foles is available you welcome him in as QB2, it's a no brainier Jones boys!

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Foles would be interesting...not sure what the cost would be. Looks like a 4m hit this year and next if we traded for him. Not too bad. Trade value? Maybe 5th rounder with a chance to be higher based upon playing time?

Bortles should be a vet minimum type deal and should be looked at immediately. Id even consider him over the next few weeks and if it doesn't look like he is worth a flip then consider the trade for Foles when cutdowns come.

I do have faith in Gilbert to be a bus driver. As for the fact he has been on so many teams over his time....he really has never been considered starter material but could be a decent backup.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
Dallas could have done what Buffalo did and sign Mitchell Trubisky as a back-up QB seeing as he only signed a 1 year $2.5M contract so that he could step back for a year before re-launching himself towards a starting QB role.

However, as another poster stated Dallas is too caught up in not wanting to hurt Dak's frail feelings to make a move like that which would have bettered the team seeing as how Dak was coming back from a really bad injury.

For those that say Mitch sucked and wouldn't want him here, consider he was a more accomplished rusher than Dak in terms of YPC (5.6 VS 5.1), had a similar Comp % (64% VS 66%), had a similar Winning % (58% VS 60.9%), a similar TD % (4.1% VS 4.6%), and a similar On Target Throw % (75.8% VS 77.1%).......but perhaps that was the problem: Mitch was too similar in production than Dak and therefore would be too much competition mentally.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Just wanna say I appreciate posts like this that are not just complaining about the team's deficiencies but offering unridiculous solutions. :flagwave:

But @Reality wants webhits, bro. He ain't gonna get it like that. So put on your tinfoil hat and follow suit.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
Well if we wait until end of August or until these guys get cut, if Dak is not healthy enough to go Game 1 it won't matter who we sign they won't be ready to fit into our offense and it will be 3 or 4 games in with a likely losing record out of the gate

the_h0wey

Reaction score

Are any of them really an upgrade over what we have?

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I'm not sure how much Foles would demand but I imagine he would be the best pick of the litter. Would be pretty funny seeing him work his way around the league to end up on the Cowboys.

Hardline

Reaction score
Always take the former Longhorn
Shane Buechelle

Then we will have two former Longhorn QBs on the roster.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
“We should trade Jaylon Smith and Gallup for Mahomes…thoughts? Thanks, I’ll hang up and listen”…………….

:laugh: