One of these backup QBs could end up in Dallas

MoistMayonnaise

Devil's Advocate
Reaction score
I don’t know about you, but I’m not thrilled with the idea of Cooper Rush, Garrett Gilbert or The Nooch being our backup QB next year.

Here are some backups that may end being available come late August when roster cuts start happening. Most of these guys would be a step up and wouldn’t break the bank:
  • Nick Foles- Bears- currently the 3rd stringer behind Andy Dalton and Justin Fields. The bears want too much in a trade but if we are patient, he may get cut anyway. He’s 32 and obviously has a ton of successful experience.
  • CJ Beathard- Jags- 28 yr old former 3rd round pick of the niners is now 3rd string in Jax. He’s started a few NFL games and has a better arm than any of our current backups.
  • Jeff Driskel- Texans- also 28 and former 3rd rounder drafted by Niners. He has started 6 games in the NFL, has thrown 13 TDs to 8 picks and is fairly mobile.
  • Shane Buechelle- 3rd stringer in KC. He’s probably going to make their practice squad but there’s a possibility he’s cut in late August.
IMO, all these guys would be better than our current situation. If we are patient until late Aug or early Sept, one of these guys or some other may fall to us.

I left out the pats Jarrett Stidham because he’s hurt and pitts’ Dwayne Haskins because he’s crazy. No thanks to either of those guys.

Disagree. Not one of those names is better than what we currently have. why replace a guy that has been on 6 teams with guys that have been on 10 teams?

We go nowhere without Dak anyway, so our backup situation is kind of moot.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Disagree. Not one of those names is better than what we currently have. why replace a guy that has been on 6 teams with guys that have been on 10 teams?

We go nowhere without Dak anyway, so our backup situation is kind of moot.
Of course but it’s not just about going somewhere without Dak, it’s about having a backup who could win a couple games while Dak is out.

quickccc

Reaction score
Some other possibilities :

Blake Bortles - age 29

Josh McCown – age 42

Brett Hundley - age 28

Robert Griffin III - age 31

quickccc

Reaction score
Based on one start?
Have we fallen so far that one decent start in a loss is enough to convince our fan base “he’s good”?

at this point and time, it may be more about familiarity and rapport now with the Cowboys coaches with Gilbert with the one lone game start,.. an entire offseason, OTAs,..
camp and preseason, maybe enuff comfort for the Cowboys coaches.

That's an awful big gamble but and we'll know it to be so if they choose not to pursue a trade or current off the street vet QBs out there.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Seems like these Dak apologists get their butthurt when any mention of a suitable, qualified backup comes up. Almost like they rather see the Cowboys lose every freaking game he is not in so they can say how much Dak means to this team. I am not willing to put all my eggs in Dak's fragile ankle or ego right now. Nor his "arm soreness". Foles is a great option to have especially for this year. It may be asking too much RIGHT NOW for him to be at 100% by the start of the season and then play every snap.

And i mean right now right now....(courtesy of George Lopez).

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
I'd say that mike will grab Brent Hundley. That's who Dak was compared to in his scouting report.

Einstein

Reaction score
Guys aren't convinced of Gilbert after one game, makes sense... guys aren't convinced of Dak after his 5 years of solid to spectacular play, DOES NOT MAKE SENSE... so most of what I read here is probably voided out because obviously people on here have no clue about QB play.