One thing that is really bugs me about how we handled WR

I need 6

Reaction score
Considering Jalens closest comp is Gallup, it’s even more disappointing to me that they kicked Amari to the curb and re-signed Gallup after his injury, while drafting his clone.

Personally i’d much rather have Amari at his (restructured) salary alongside the Gallup replacement draft pick
His game is different from Gallup's.

Jake0

Reaction score
I do find it odd that this draft was absolutely loaded with 4.3 speed blazers all over the place and the FO couldn't come up with one. Maybe the Pats doing a huge reach for Tyquan Thornton threw them off if the interest in him was real. I'm a believer in finding complimentary players, the receiver room currently does seem to have too much redundancy at the moment. Maybe this is something that can be fixed with a free agent. DJ Chark took a 1 year/10mil prove it deal coming off an injury, maybe he could be a target. CD will probably put up some decent numbers but I'm not expecting much out of the rest of the receiving group this season.

Proof

Reaction score
What does "operating without nuance" even mean??
We had to make the decision on the contract. If you look at his 2021 stats (in isolation or compared to top WR's like Hill or Smith) coupled with a $20m CAP hit I doubt there would be teams willing to part with a high draft pick.

it means you keep presenting things as black and white while making it seem as if my agenda is keep amari at all costs while I have explained my thought process, contextualized, and offered several different scenarios.

also i’m not trying to compare amari to hill or adams, but can easily compare to aj brown or hollywood, or devante parker. the entire premise is that a 5th rd pick was not worth the cap space (correctly unused) and loss of player. the trades and contracts since have only made that more apparent

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
it means you keep presenting things as black and white while making it seem as if my agenda is keep amari at all costs while I have explained my thought process, contextualized, and offered several different scenarios.

also i’m not trying to compare amari to hill or adams, but can easily compare to aj brown or hollywood, or devante parker. the entire premise is that a 5th rd pick was not worth the cap space (correctly unused) and loss of player. the trades and contracts since have only made that more apparent

:huh:....are you sure you got that the right way around? Im giving you the reasons why they made the decision they did. I can see both sides of the argument and agreed that it was a difficult decision.

If we had allowed the 2022 contract to be exercised you really think we would have got more for a Coop with his $20m salary attached? In comparison Parkers, Hollywood (younger) and AJ (younger) are getting a third of what Coop was getting in 2022.....why would the market be willing to sign Coop if these three receivers were available?

Proof

Reaction score
:huh:....are you sure you got that the right way around? Im giving you the reasons why they made the decision they did. I can see both sides of the argument and agreed that it was a difficult decision.

If we had allowed the 2022 contract to be exercised you really think we would have got more for a Coop with his $20m salary attached? In comparison Parkers, Hollywood (younger) and AJ (younger) are getting a third of what Coop was getting in 2022.....why would the market be willing to sign Coop if these three receivers were available?

Hollywood fetched a 1st. AJ brown a first and a third (and a mega deal) Devante only has one year left on his deal and fetched a 3rd. Yes, I fully believe we could have done much better than a 5th

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Hollywood fetched a 1st. AJ brown a first and a third (and a mega deal) Devante only has one year left on his deal and fetched a 3rd. Yes, I fully believe we could have done much better than a 5th

Again: age, $20m contract, a down year in 2021 and a team that the league can see is in a tight CAP situation in 2022 and 2023 all made the Coop scenario different from the other teams with WR's (and I dont think we touched on the money we needed to sign Gregory, which irt seems Jerry thought was a done deal).

As it transpired, I would of thought we were in contact with the Cardinals and Patriots, but they preferred Parker and Hollywood....even though they had to give up more draft capital. That looks as if the league isnt as high on Coop as we are.

Proof

Reaction score
Again: age, $20m contract, a down year in 2021 and a team that the league can see is in a tight CAP situation in 2022 and 2023 all made the Coop scenario different from the other teams with WR's (and I dont think we touched on the money we needed to sign Gregory, which irt seems Jerry thought was a done deal).

As it transpired, I would of thought we were in contact with the Cardinals and Patriots, but they preferred Parker and Hollywood....even though they had to give up more draft capital. That looks as if the league isnt as high on Coop as we are.

Again, he’s 27, owed no guaranteed money and we’re not in bad shape at all next year. Dallas telegraphing they were getting rid of him one way or another stripped all leverage which is what i’m saying they shouldn’t have done lol.

the down year is a valid point but 800+ yards and 8 tds in a spread out offense and where the qb had such a wild variance of performance can be … contextualized, especially with his previous seasons to also go off.

i’ll just ask you this and be done with it. would you take Coop back for a 5th

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Again, he’s 27, owed no guaranteed money and we’re not in bad shape at all next year. Dallas telegraphing they were getting rid of him one way or another stripped all leverage which is what i’m saying they shouldn’t have done lol.

the down year is a valid point but 800+ yards and 8 tds in a spread out offense and where the qb had such a wild variance of performance can be … contextualized, especially with his previous seasons to also go off.

i’ll just ask you this and be done with it. would you take Coop back for a 5th

So rather than 'telegraphing' his availability the only other option is to wait for a team to approach us....now which team is going to approach us when he's on no guaranteed money (until 16th March) and coming off a mediocre season and that EVERY other team can see we're in CAP difficulty.....why wouldnt those teams just wait until the 16th when we had to make a decision.

So what they did was to publicise that Coop was available, hoping that two teams would create an auction. As ive said Cleveland were aware that Coop wouldnt probably sign with them as a FA, unfortunately there wasnt another team willing to push up the compensation.

The CAP situation has improved, but still difficult next year (over by $1m and as you werent aware, we'd only save $4.8m on cutting Zeke)....if we signed Coop to the same contract that Cleveland did, we'd be paying him $23.7m or a minimum of $15m if cut.

I will answer your question: At the time, and taking account that we needed CAP space money to sign Gregory (you're wrong again on La'el situation, that money doesnt come off the books until June), then yes it was an understandable decision.

If you look at it now, with the benefit of hindsight (Gregory not signing), then we could of kept Coop, but the problem would be that in 2023 he'd be earning more guaranteed money.

As I keep saying, we've made a tough decision that's corrected the CAP, for the sake of a good player, who for whatever reason isnt worth the contract he's paid as the scheme that suits Dak and KM is more attuned to spreading the receptions......and in 2021 we did finish 2nd in Passing Yards.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Considering Jalens closest comp is Gallup, it’s even more disappointing to me that they kicked Amari to the curb and re-signed Gallup after his injury, while drafting his clone.

Personally i’d much rather have Amari at his (restructured) salary alongside the Gallup replacement draft pick

No money, no Honey........that's the way the cap cookie rolls....:oops:

Proof

Reaction score
So rather than 'telegraphing' his availability the only other option is to wait for a team to approach us....now which team is going to approach us when he's on no guaranteed money (until 16th March) and coming off a mediocre season and that EVERY other team can see we're in CAP difficulty.....why wouldnt those teams just wait until the 16th when we had to make a decision.

So what they did was to publicise that Coop was available, hoping that two teams would create an auction. As ive said Cleveland were aware that Coop wouldnt probably sign with them as a FA, unfortunately there wasnt another team willing to push up the compensation.

The CAP situation has improved, but still difficult next year (over by $1m and as you werent aware, we'd only save $4.8m on cutting Zeke)....if we signed Coop to the same contract that Cleveland did, we'd be paying him $23.7m or a minimum of $15m if cut.

I will answer your question: At the time, and taking account that we needed CAP space money to sign Gregory (you're wrong again on La'el situation, that money doesnt come off the books until June), then yes it was an understandable decision.

If you look at it now, with the benefit of hindsight (Gregory not signing), then we could of kept Coop, but the problem would be that in 2023 he'd be earning more guaranteed money.

As I keep saying, we've made a tough decision that's corrected the CAP, for the sake of a good player, who for whatever reason isnt worth the contract he's paid as the scheme that suits Dak and KM is more attuned to spreading the receptions......and in 2021 we did finish 2nd in Passing Yards.

you don’t understand the simplest of concepts lol. just a long winded bot. we’re good here

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
you don’t understand the simplest of concepts lol. just a long winded bot. we’re good here

Your position on Coop IS too simplistic and can't be viewed in isolation (nor with hindsight).
As you choose not to discuss those reasonable points regarding: the market, our CAP position which needed to be squared on the 16th March, the CAP situation (2022/23), how we weren't able to restructure like Cleveland (due to guaranteed money in 2023), the receiving scheme which means we don't fully utilize/need an expensive WR 1 (as shown with how the receptions were spread around in 2021= no.2 yards in the NFL), ability to work with Dak (like it or not he's here for 2 years) .....
There are many reasons as to why the decision was made.