One thing that is really bugs me about how we handled WR

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Maybe Tolbert is there in case Gallup missed a few games at the beginning of the season.

My biggest issue with the way they dealt Amari Cooper is the way the talked down his value after the season and then forced a trade for a measly 5th round pick. Considering the Titans got a 1st and 3rd from the Eagles for Brown I think the Cowboys got fleeced. It is amazing to me every team in the league is not trying to make deals with Dallas.

The difference with the way our FO dealt with Coop is that EVERYONE could see that we were in CAP Hell.....why would teams give up draft capital when there was a great chance that Coop could well be cut (i think his contract vested in a weeks time).

The Jones had an option, either bluff it out or try and create an auction between teams which is the option they took (after all if he was cut then Coop wouldnt have gone to Cleveland).

We can rewrite history or look at it in hindsight, but at the time the financial position meant we had to make a decision on two out of DLaw, Gregory or Coop . Yes it didnt go as planned, but most plans dont. The viewpoint was probably as Coop had a down year, isnt really needed in KM scheme, Dak is more comfortable going WR 3/4 or TE and we could draft a replacement as boards seemed to identify depth (which did work as we got a 2nd RD talent in the 3rd).

Fans (like @Proof) can view it in a one dimensional act....."Like Coop, Want Coop, must have Coop". which is great, but reality is more complex.

In an ideal world I would have liked Coop staying, but with the CAP we had to make a decision....difficult, but understandable.

Creeper

Reaction score
The difference with the way our FO dealt with Coop is that EVERYONE could see that we were in CAP Hell.....why would teams give up draft capital when there was a great chance that Coop could well be cut (i think his contract vested in a weeks time).

The Jones had an option, either bluff it out or try and create an auction between teams which is the option they took (after all if he was cut then Coop wouldnt have gone to Cleveland).

We can rewrite history or look at it in hindsight, but at the time the financial position meant we had to make a decision on two out of DLaw, Gregory or Coop . Yes it didnt go as planned, but most plans dont. The viewpoint was probably as Coop had a down year, isnt really needed in KM scheme, Dak is more comfortable going WR 3/4 or TE and we could draft a replacement as boards seemed to identify depth (which did work as we got a 2nd RD talent in the 3rd).

Fans (like @Proof) can view it in a one dimensional act....."Like Coop, Want Coop, must have Coop". which is great, but reality is more complex.

In an ideal world I would have liked Coop staying, but with the CAP we had to make a decision....difficult, but understandable.

Cooper's contract could have been restructured to save almost as much as they saved by trading him. He had a CAP impact of $22 million and $20 million of that was salary. If they wanted to keep Cooper they could have kept him.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
If Lamb, Brown, and Washington as your Week 1 starters don't get you excited then you're not a real Cowboys fan.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
i disagree. He made big plays and took big hits making catches. When he was featured, he was a number 1. COOP

i like him not taking the vaccine. you guys assuming he would not have failed a test had he gotten vaccinated is b.s.

It's not what we think, that's irrelevant. it's what the FO, Jerry, think. That's what got him out of town for an open bag of unsalted peanuts.

morasp

Reaction score
Plenty of of guyts to catch passes. Lamb, Washington, Schultz, Ferguson, Zeke, Pollard, and Tolbert.

Ekspozed

Reaction score
TIme will tell. Good analysis by the way.
Tolbert and Gallup are the same size. Both 4.5 speed. Both top 5 route running wr in their draft class but will be used the same way. Both better than cooper on contested catches.

Cooper was just a wizard route runner with 4.3 speed that can get separation on anyone.

I mean I get it though, separation isn't utilized as it should with dak. He need someone who will be able to adjust to his passes and have a bigger catch radius.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Considering Jalens closest comp is Gallup, it’s even more disappointing to me that they kicked Amari to the curb and re-signed Gallup after his injury, while drafting his clone.

Personally i’d much rather have Amari at his (restructured) salary alongside the Gallup replacement draft pick
Amari was probably much less likely to restructure with the team that just gave him the new contract not long ago, and even restructured the cap hit would still be much higher than a 3rd round rookie.

I was, however, a little surprised they didn't let Gallup walk instead of trading Cooper, if for no other reason than Gallup still has an injury to recover from. But I think this was a move for longer term than just this year, and they knew they could get Gallup at a lesser price than if he had been healthy all of 2021.

fansince68

Reaction score
Considering Jalens closest comp is Gallup, it’s even more disappointing to me that they kicked Amari to the curb and re-signed Gallup after his injury, while drafting his clone.

Personally i’d much rather have Amari at his (restructured) salary alongside the Gallup replacement draft pick
That does make a lot more sense but Amari fell out of favor with the Joneses because of frequent injury and the covid fiasco. Does any other team sign an injured player to big money like that? ACL injuries are easier to return from now a days, however, there is no guarantee.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Cooper's contract could have been restructured to save almost as much as they saved by trading him. He had a CAP impact of $22 million and $20 million of that was salary. If they wanted to keep Cooper they could have kept him.
But the plan (like it or not) was to restructure DLaw's which is costing us in 2023.
Hasn't the fanbase been critical of us just extending and restructuring the non-performing contracts...well the FO took the decision to limit the restructuring to one contract and reset the CAP issue.

Proof

Reaction score
Amari was probably much less likely to restructure with the team that just gave him the new contract not long ago, and even restructured the cap hit would still be much higher than a 3rd round rookie.

I was, however, a little surprised they didn't let Gallup walk instead of trading Cooper, if for no other reason than Gallup still has an injury to recover from. But I think this was a move for longer term than just this year, and they knew they could get Gallup at a lesser price than if he had been healthy all of 2021.

yeah i'm not advocating amari over the rookie necessarily. it was amari over gallup, especially if the rookie is similar to gallup. oh well

Dallasfann

Reaction score
Boy I hope he is a clone of Gallup. People forget Gallup is arguably the best wide out on this team. Give me 2 of him all day please.

Proof

Reaction score

It's wild how every time you talk on this subject you continue to make poorer and poorer points.

Letting La'el walk alone nearly solves the cap space issue. Also not signing DALTON SCHULZ TO 11 MILLION DOLLARS GTD w/ the franchise tag. Again, my point was that Cooper's contract becoming gtd should not have been the ironclad decision point because it severely limited our options and rendered our leverage w/ other teams nil. You keep trying to paint this picture of me being some obsessed fan who has to have his favorite blanky lol when I've explained multiple times in detail it's the circumstances and justification i'm arguing against. Also re: restructuring, yes as a general rule I'd prefer the team not to do it, but if the alternative here is to not have the guy, and get nothing in return for him, yes I'm fine w/ them restructuring one year of his contract like the Browns did (along w/ adding two voidable years to really spread the hit out) Not only is it palatable in general, but w/ how the wr market has since exploded, even keeping him for the duration becomes a bargain or attractive trade piece. you're just wrong and the one operating without any nuance.

Proof

Reaction score
Boy I hope he is a clone of Gallup. People forget Gallup is arguably the best wide out on this team. Give me 2 of him all day please.

love gallup, but he's not and has not been lol. but regardless it's not that having two guys like him isn't awesome, it's that replacing him w/ a cheap rookie that plays like him seems like the no brainer decision if you have to replace someone.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
It's wild how every time you talk on this subject you continue to make poorer and poorer points.

Letting La'el walk alone nearly solves the cap space issue. Also not signing DALTON SCHULZ TO 11 MILLION DOLLARS GTD w/ the franchise tag. Again, my point was that Cooper's contract becoming gtd should not have been the ironclad decision point because it severely limited our options and rendered our leverage w/ other teams nil. You keep trying to paint this picture of me being some obsessed fan who has to have his favorite blanky lol when I've explained multiple times in detail it's the circumstances and justification i'm arguing against. Also re: restructuring, yes as a general rule I'd prefer the team not to do it, but if the alternative here is to not have the guy, and get nothing in return for him, yes I'm fine w/ them restructuring one year of his contract like the Browns did (along w/ adding two voidable years to really spread the hit out) Not only is it palatable in general, but w/ how the wr market has since exploded, even keeping him for the duration becomes a bargain or attractive trade piece. you're just wrong and the one operating without any nuance.
What does "operating without nuance" even mean??
We had to make the decision on the contract. If you look at his 2021 stats (in isolation or compared to top WR's like Hill or Smith) coupled with a $20m CAP hit I doubt there would be teams willing to part with a high draft pick.

morasp

Reaction score
Tolbert and Gallup are the same size. Both 4.5 speed. Both top 5 route running wr in their draft class but will be used the same way. Both better than cooper on contested catches.

Cooper was just a wizard route runner with 4.3 speed that can get separation on anyone.

I mean I get it though, separation isn't utilized as it should with dak. He need someone who will be able to adjust to his passes and have a bigger catch radius.
That's a little better. If you want to have a discussion I'm fine with that. Tolbert is not as good of route runner as Cooper but route running is one of his strengths and I do think he has a chance to equal or even surpass Coopers yards last year, especially with Gallup expected to miss some time. One thing I'm pretty sure of Tolbert is a gamer that plays big in big games and we won't see him disappear for an entire game.

40 yard dash
Cooper 4.42

• Sticks it and gets it out of breaks, creating instant separation
  • Worked outside and from slot and varies his route speed
Amari Cooper Draft and Combine Prospect Profile | NFL.com
Tolbert 4.49
his route-running gives him a leg up in camp battles early on.
  • Sinks hips for quick, sharp turns.
  • Stick-shift route runner with excellent change of speeds.
Jalen Tolbert Draft and Combine Prospect Profile | NFL.com
Gallup 4.51
  • Uses body control and timing to win contested catches downfield
Michael Gallup Draft and Combine Prospect Profile | NFL.com
Washington 4.54
  • Able to go up and come down with the deep ball with the best of them
James Washington Draft and Combine Prospect Profile | NFL.com

I could do more but it's too nice of day to spend at a computer. Like I said time will tell.