One vs. Many: Name Your Best Movie Fight Scenes

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Most movie fight scenes involve the hero/heroine fighting one or two bad guys. Some involve only one person fighting against many at one time. Here are my top three scenes:

1. Kill Bill: Vol. 1

Scene: The Bride versus the Crazy88's during the Showdown At The House Of Blue Leaves. I have seen better sword fights, but this was the best one versus hoards of bad guys, imo.

2. The Matrix Reloaded

Scene: Neo versus the Merovingian minions. I prefer this scene over the Neo versus the multiple Smiths because it depends much less on the computer animated special effects. It did employ a lot of wire work though. Great scene.

3. Mortal Kombat

Scene: Liu Kang's 'Face His Enemy' test. Truly, a picture with a flimsy plot, but was a good fight movie. Anyway, Liu Kang's fight with Shang Tsung's lost soul warriors near the end of the movie was worth the price of admission.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Tho I appreciate the technological prowess, I'm not into those digitalized Matrix/The Mummy/Lord of the Rings things...that's my popcorn break time, but there have been a few fight scenes that I found "memorable".

Finale of On the Waterfront. Marlon Brando, who "cudda been a contenduh" against the union-mob-world.

Spartacus. Kirk Douglas having to battle his lil buddy Tony Curtis to the death. That was moving.

Fight Club. Edward Norton's "fighting with myself" scene was hilarious.

Reaction score
Enter the Dragon: Lee with his nunchucks

Monty Python and the Holy Grail: It's only a flesh wound

The Legend of the Drunken Master: take your pick

Desperado: Bar scene

Snatch: Pitt's last fight

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
Enter the Dragon : Bruce Lee, so many good fighting scenes it isnt even funny.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
Way of the Dragon

Lee Vs Noris was a freakin awesome fight scene. I loved the part where he grabbed a fist full of the hair from his chest and yanked.

By no means flashy but great fight scene

I liked Steven Segal's early film Above The Law (Hey I study Aikido so I have a built in bias)

Jackie Chan has many fight scenes that are just plain cool and funny but it is a different style.

Chow Young Fats fight scene from hard boil the very 1st big fight scene that was freakin sweet it was a combination of pistol/gun & martial art scene

A newer fight scene is Troy between Achilles and Hector was cool

That is some current ones I can throw of my head. I will have to think on some more.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There are some great one vs. one or one vs. two examples being thrown out, but how about some one versus many fight scenes? ;)

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
The Quiet Man between John Wayne and Victor McLaglen.

McLintock at the mud slide.

The Cowboys between John Wayne and Bruce Dern.

BTW, as an aside, movie fight scenes got their first look at realism after being invented by John Wayne and stuntman Yakima Cannutt. Prior to their contributions all fights showed only 1 combatant at a time in punch mode or recoil mode. You never saw any contact.

For pure comic enjoyment as well as good fighting Shanghai Noon.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
DallasEast said:
There are some great one vs. one or one vs. two examples being thrown out, but how about some one versus many fight scenes? ;)
One vs many?

Then give me Audie Murphy in To Hell and Back.

Especially since he was re-creating his real-life, single-handed stomping of over 200 German soldiers.

As for the computerized fist-flying, martial arts mania, and action hero slug-fests, from Jet Li to Bruce Willis to "Neo"...like Hollywood chase scenes since Bullet and the French Connection..it keeps getting glossier, gorier and gizmo-ier, but just all blends together so one flick is indistinguishable from the last.

Often great special effects, but not much in the way of either meaning or memory, imo.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
One vs many?

Then give me Audie Murphy in To Hell and Back.

Especially since he was re-creating his real-life, single-handed stomping of over 200 German soldiers.

As for the computerized fist-flying, martial arts mania, and action hero slug-fests, from Jet Li to Bruce Willis to "Neo"...like Hollywood chase scenes since Bullet and the French Connection..it keeps getting glossier, gorier and gizmo-ier, but just all blends together so one flick is indistinguishable from the last.

Often great special effects, but not much in the way of either meaning or memory, imo.

Along that lines Sergant York with a bolt action rifle single handily capturing and destorying the will of over 100 german soldiers in WWI

Most decorated soldier of WW I and the 2nd Most decorated soldier behind Audie who upstaged him in WW II

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
Hostile[u said:
McLintock[/u] at the mud slide.

:laugh2:

That's the first one that came to my mind. Classic comedy.

John Wayne vs. Forrest Tucker in Chisum was pretty good.

The old spaghetti Westerns with Terrence Hill and Bud Spencer also had some good, comedic fights.

The best Western gun fight I've seen was in Open Range.

Mel Gibson vs. Jet Li in Lethal Weapon 4 was pretty good.

Another top Mel Gibson performance was in The Patriot, when he (with the help of his two very young sons) took out a group of British soldiers. Braveheart also had some good fight scenes.

As far as one-sided fights, Tommy Lee Jones, playing the part of Woodrow Call in Lonesome Dove, kicking the crap out of that abusive scout for the Army in Ogalala.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
Kangaroo said:
Along that lines Sergant York with a bolt action rifle single handily capturing and destorying the will of over 100 german soldiers in WWI

One of my all-time favorite movies.

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
charles bronson in......... hard times
clint eastwood in .......any which way you can
bruce lee in ......enter the dragon
chuck norris and david carradine in ............lone wolf mcquade

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
john travolta and wes hightower in urban cowboy. one of the best beer drinkin movies ever.

Irving Cowboy

The Chief
Reaction score
As was said before... Clint Eastwood in Any Which Way You Can

Rocky II... did you know that whole fight sequence was choreographed by Sugar Ray Leonard? And that Roberto Duran makes a cameo in that movie as Rocky's sparring partner...

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Chief said:
As far as one-sided fights, Tommy Lee Jones, playing the part of Woodrow Call in Lonesome Dove, kicking the crap out of that abusive scout for the Army in Ogalala.
I can't believe I forgot that. One of the all time great scenes.