Opinion: Belichick Is Not Coming To Dallas

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Its been 2 straight days of sports-related alerts to my inbox about the growing buzz that Jerry Jones is either thinking about bringing in Belichik as the new coach of the Cowboys.

Look, Belichik is not going to go from having Bob Kraft as the owner who knows where the boundaries are, to agreeing to be the new puppet for Jerry Jones, the guy who's insisted on not only being his team's owner, but also it's GM for going on 34 years.

The Cowboys are not going to go anywhere in the playoffs until these three things happen:

1. Jerry steps down as the team's GM and hires a real GM to manage the team and the coaching staff

2. Jerry hires a coach who will tell him to get lost and enforces the boundaries the way Jimmy did

3. Jerry passes away and the new owner hires a real GM.
100% this-if the same guy hires ANOTHER new HC, gets ANOTHER QB and keeps the same philosophy...well you know what the definition of insanity is...

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Its been 2 straight days of sports-related alerts to my inbox about the growing buzz that Jerry Jones is either thinking about bringing in Belichik as the new coach of the Cowboys.

Look, Belichik is not going to go from having Bob Kraft as the owner who knows where the boundaries are, to agreeing to be the new puppet for Jerry Jones, the guy who's insisted on not only being his team's owner, but also it's GM for going on 34 years.

The Cowboys are not going to go anywhere in the playoffs until these three things happen:

1. Jerry steps down as the team's GM and hires a real GM to manage the team and the coaching staff

2. Jerry hires a coach who will tell him to get lost and enforces the boundaries the way Jimmy did

Agree with your 3 points

Robster8989

Reaction score
likely even worse...pray for bill
I agree.
After the loss I thought, blow it up. Trade anyone you can for picks and get a young, Demeco Ryan type and try to build a new culture.
I just dont think there's any chance that happens with JJ there (and you're also right that Stephen is even worse, at least Jerry is smart and has a lot he brings to the table)
Therefore, I see the only hope is to hire BB, he has the credibility (like Parcells) to tell Jerry to butt out, and let him lay the wood on these soft players. Anyone not in can be traded (even Dak, Micah and CeeDee if they don't buy in).
New culture. No more Mr. nice guy.

Blue&Silver

Reaction score
I agree.
After the loss I thought, blow it up. Trade anyone you can for picks and get a young, Demeco Ryan type and try to build a new culture.
I just dont think there's any chance that happens with JJ there (and you're also right that Stephen is even worse, at least Jerry is smart and has a lot he brings to the table)
Therefore, I see the only hope is to hire BB, he has the credibility (like Parcells) to tell Jerry to butt out, and let him lay the wood on these soft players. Anyone not in can be traded (even Dak, Micah and CeeDee if they don't buy in).
New culture. No more Mr. nice guy.
He isn't coming here. Wherever he goes he'll want full control of all aspects of the football team. Jerry will not give that up. I don't want him coming here anyway. Would rather have someone that was successful with average quarterbacks.

cowboyfan4life2

Reaction score
He isn't coming here. Wherever he goes he'll want full control of all aspects of the football team. Jerry will not give that up. I don't want him coming here anyway. Would rather have someone that was successful with average quarterbacks.
Hes done that for years. He's 72 now maybe he just wants to coach.

Kingofholland

Reaction score

Many had this sentiment on Bill Parcells and he came here so would never say never. Frankly Belichick isn't likely looking to coach long term but looking for an opportunity with a roster that is close where he can get the players he wants and be given some room to instill the principles he wants to show he can do it without Brady.

Whether if he would be the righr coach here is a totally different question and I would be skeptical.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Belichick would not be a "comfortable" hire for Jerry. I don't think Belichick cares for the country club atmosphere in Dallas either. The Patriots players liked to make fun of the culture in Dallas and no doubt Belichick shares that sentiment. Gronk still rags on the Cowboys culture.
Belichick is the coach that refuses to talk to the media if he does not feel like it. He expects the players to shelve all outside activities and focus on football during the football season. The sad part of the modern Cowboys is that they are punks. Just punks who never won anything but walk around like they are Champions when they are little more than punks.

Retro88

Reaction score

I respect it but he did bring in Parcells. It's not likely that it happens but if JJ decides to try that route again....it's not like there is a team at the moment offering him a better situation talent wise then we do.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
In my opinion, Jerry debriefs with McCarthy. He has millions tied up in Dak, so he keeps Mike around because Mike has done something most teams can only dream about (regular season, of course). McCarthy convinces Jerry of 2 vital things that the regular season and post season proved. They are the same two things fans have talked about for years.
  1. We must have a sustainable run game, which means you must continue always improving the OL, develop a scheme that fits our OL and the pass game, and you must have a tough inside runner (that doesn’t mean a straight ahead plow horse). 3-4 yards and a cloud of dust should be the minimal expectation.

2. We must change DC’s and develop a defense that is dominant inside (DTs and LBs)….I prefer the 3-4 which is the only defense that justifies signing Parsons to a second contract.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If he was offered the job he'd take it. He won't be offered the job.

So yes he's not coming to Dallas.

StuckMojo

Reaction score
Has BB been in charge of the Pats last few drafts? Their drafting has been bad.