Opinion: Best Case Scenario for Cowboys Defensive Line

fivetwos

Reaction score
I am not sure about our new DC. If he is no nonsense then Hill will be cut if he slacks. I actually wonder if there won’t be a example player. Someone that tries MM, a player that tries to get away with not respecting the HC. MM needs to show he is in charge and you can’t simply bypass him and go straight to JJ.

Could be a vet on the team. D-Law was telling rookies not to worry about JG because he didn’t run anything. Or that’s what I heard. I am not saying MM will cut D-Law but he may catch a fine or ride the pine for a minute.
DLaw saying that didnt help, but the fact that was the perception is the real problem.

For the life of me I cant understand why Jerry doesnt understand this simple concept. He thinks it doesnt apply to him and his team I suppose.

Or worse yet, maybe he realizes it and doesnt care. It absolutely cannot be overcome by any coach.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
In my opinion, the best case scenario is for the Cowboys to have their top drafted defensive linemen playing. And more often than not, the draft pedigree of the player in question points to their skilled level. Of course, there are exceptions we can all point to. But it is more likely that higher drafted players will be the better players on your team.

Here is the draft order of the Cowboys existing roster of defensive linemen:

• 3rd - 1st round, 2010 - Gerald McCoy - DT, Oklahoma
  • 7th - 1st round, 2011 - Aldon Smith - DE, Missouri
  • 11th - 1st round, 2012 - Dontari Poe - DT, Memphis
  • 34th - 2nd round, 2014 - DeMarcus Lawrence - DE, Boise State
  • 58th - 2nd round, 2019 - Trysten Hill - DT, Central Florida
  • 60th - 2nd round, 2015 - Randy Gregory - DE, Nebraska
  • 81st - 3rd round, 2012 - Tyrone Crawford - DE, Boise State
  • 82nd - 3rd round, 2020 - Neville Gallimore - DT, Oklahoma
  • 116th - 4th round, 2018 - Dorance Armstrong - DE, Kansas
  • 165th - 5th round, 2019 - Joe Jackson - DE, Miami (FL)
  • 179th - 5th round, 2020 - Bradlee Anae - DE, Utah
  • 241st - 7th round, 2019 - Jalen Jelks - DE, Oregon
  • Undrafted - 2015 - Justin Hamilton, DT, Louisiana-Lafayette
  • Undrafted - 2016 - Antwaun Woods, DT, USC
  • Undrafted - 2020 - Ron'Dell Carter - DE, James Madison
  • Undrafted - 2020 - LaDarius Hamilton - DE, North Texas
  • Undrafted - 2020 - Garrett Marino, DT, Alabama-Birmingham
Here is the best case scenario for the 8-man, game-day rotation on the Defensive Line for the Cowboys:
  • LDE - DeMarcus Lawrence (2nd round pick), Tyrone Crawford (3rd round pick)
  • 3DT - Gerald McCoy (1st round pick), Neville Gallimore (3rd round pick)
  • 1DT - Dontari Poe (1st round pick), Trysten Hill (2nd round pick)
  • RDE - Aldon Smith (1st round pick), Randy Gregory (2nd round pick)
A starting line-up of three 1st round picks, and one high 2nd round pick, backed up by two 2nd round picks and two 3rd round picks should be a good scenario for the Cowboys. The Cowboys starters will be older, but still talented - much like to older, talented Oline the Cowboys had under Jimmy Johnson.

(Yes, I know some people already think Trysten Hill is a wasted pick, and he might be. But even the most jaundiced evaluators thought he would be a solid 3rd round pick a year ago. If he can be developed under the Cowboys new coaching staff, it is still too early to give up on him. It would be in the Cowboys best interest to develop his raw talent into a productive player.)

Let the other 9 Defensive Line players battle it out for the last 1-2 positions, and may the best men win. If one of them turns out to be a James Harrison, Jay Ratliff, or John Randle, then fantastic. But the safest bet is to count on those players who everyone thought had the greater amount of talent on draft day. Give me some top 100 draft pick players for my rotation, and I'll bet on those over long-shots like 3rd day picks and undrafted players.
did you just already give up on Anae?
and did you just put Aldon smith, a guy who has been away from football for 5 years as a starter and then backed him up with another guy who has been away from the game for over a year?

this ain't madden NFL....

and draft status is meaningless....

sorry, that was awful, you just went with highest draft picks, to meet some kind of expectation for draft picks.....made no sense at all...

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
In my opinion, the best case scenario is for the Cowboys to have their top drafted defensive linemen playing. And more often than not, the draft pedigree of the player in question points to their skilled level. Of course, there are exceptions we can all point to. But it is more likely that higher drafted players will be the better players on your team.

Here is the best case scenario for the 8-man, game-day rotation on the Defensive Line for the Cowboys:
A starting line-up of three 1st round picks, and one high 2nd round pick, backed up by two 2nd round picks and two 3rd round picks should be a good scenario for the Cowboys. The Cowboys starters will be older, but still talented - much like to older, talented Oline the Cowboys had under Jimmy Johnson.

(Yes, I know some people already think Trysten Hill is a wasted pick, and he might be. But even the most jaundiced evaluators thought he would be a solid 3rd round pick a year ago. If he can be developed under the Cowboys new coaching staff, it is still too early to give up on him. It would be in the Cowboys best interest to develop his raw talent into a productive player.)

Let the other 9 Defensive Line players battle it out for the last 1-2 positions, and may the best men win. If one of them turns out to be a James Harrison, Jay Ratliff, or John Randle, then fantastic. But the safest bet is to count on those players who everyone thought had the greater amount of talent on draft day. Give me some top 100 draft pick players for my rotation, and I'll bet on those over long-shots like 3rd day picks and undrafted players.
This is all in the right direction.

Our problem has been lack of quality depth. Unlike offense where little subbing occurs on the OL from play to play..

the DL has to be rotated. So unlike under Marinelli, defenses must be disquised not just keep pounding away using the same thing.

Just saying.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
What I absolutely love about having a new coaching staff is that no ones job is safe and performance on the field is the only thing that will keep them here.
If only that were true. Never forget who is truly running the ship. You honestly think this coaching staff would want Gregory, Crawford and probably even Aldon Smith. I highly doubt it. I know that if my *** was on the line I would be looking for more reliable players. GM Jerruh got nothing to worry about though.

Kaiser

Reaction score
You honestly think this coaching staff would want Gregory, Crawford and probably even Aldon Smith.

What the coaches want doesn't involve the player's salary or suspensions. If those three guys are available the coaches would obviously want them but that is the job of the Front Office and not the Coaches.

Gregory is physical freak at a premium position who was a lock to be a top ten draft pick before his weed issues. The entire country has changed positions on the issue since that happened.

Crawford is a solid starter on run defense who is wildly overpaid for this year, but that is going to be addressed at some point - by the Front Office and not the coaches.

Aldon Smith is a low cost gamble, if the Coaches don't like him they will cut him the next day.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
If anyone somehow thinks this defense won't improve, he's probably mistaken! :rolleyes:

I expect it'll take a while to get things squared away but once they do, look out! :D

Last edited:

Kaiser

Reaction score
If anyone somehow thinks this defense won't improve, he's probably mistaken! :rolleyes:

I expect it'll take a while to get things squared away but look out, once they do! :D

That's the real question, there is no doubt we upgraded the talent and coaching on defense. The real issue is how long it takes for the players to gel with the system.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
What the coaches want doesn't involve the player's salary or suspensions. If those three guys are available the coaches would obviously want them but that is the job of the Front Office and not the Coaches.

Gregory is physical freak at a premium position who was a lock to be a top ten draft pick before his weed issues. The entire country has changed positions on the issue since that happened.

Crawford is a solid starter on run defense who is wildly overpaid for this year, but that is going to be addressed at some point - by the Front Office and not the coaches.

Aldon Smith is a low cost gamble, if the Coaches don't like him they will cut him the next day.

I do believe the defensive coaches will be patient with both Aldon Smith and Randy Gregory! I'm confident they will fully realize their potential once they manage to get their legs under them and fully return to football conditioning. Yes, it's a gamble but one that might pay off in a big way.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I do believe the defensive coaches will be patient with both Aldon Smith and Randy Gregory! I'm confident they will fully realize their potential once they manage to get their legs under them and fully return to football conditioning. Yes, it's a gamble but one that might pay off in a big way.

Totally agree, my thing on RDE is that we have five different players there so even if the gambles on Smith and Gregory fail completely, you still have Anae and Dorance Armstrong. Not optimal of course, but you have plenty of cards to play. Probably the worst case scenario is having Crawford as your RDE on run downs so you have solid run defense but minimal pass rush on the early downs, then you bring in a guy like Anae on passing downs.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Totally agree, my thing on RDE is that we have five different players there so even if the gambles on Smith and Gregory fail completely, you still have Anae and Dorance Armstrong. Not optimal of course, but you have plenty of cards to play. Probably the worst case scenario is having Crawford as your RDE on run downs so you have solid run defense but minimal pass rush on the early downs, then you bring in a guy like Anae on passing downs.

I'm glad we've got so many new (and used) talents to plug into that RDE spot, with plenty of them being on a rotational basis. They should be able to remain relatively fresh and yet, proceed to give opposing offenses all they can handle. I'm quite optimistic we'll have an improved pass rush in 2020.

MyFairLady

Reaction score

Gregory was drafted so long ago I can't even remember when it was. He has hardly ever contributed. And he was a second round pick.
Crawford has been overpaid for years now. It will get addressed this year but the damage has already been done.
Aldon Smith may be low cost but he is exactly that a gamble. Another Jerry special. instead of bringing in people that will help he tries to outsmart the league. Hasn't been working out lately.

Coaches want players they can count on because their jobs are on the line. Jerry wants to shoot for the stars and do it "his way".

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Gregory was drafted so long ago I can't even remember when it was. He has hardly ever contributed. And he was a second round pick.
Crawford has been overpaid for years now. It will get addressed this year but the damage has already been done.
Aldon Smith may be low cost but he is exactly that a gamble. Another Jerry special. instead of bringing in people that will help he tries to outsmart the league. Hasn't been working out lately.

Coaches want players they can count on because their jobs are on the line. Jerry wants to shoot for the stars and do it "his way".

The only way we're going to find out what Aldon and Randy can do will be to pay attention to what happens when TC commences and they get a chance to either prove their wares to everyone or disappoint them. I won't be expecting a magical arrival that will draw oo's and ah's from the start.

Not sure where you're getting this info about Aldon not working out lately. Everything that people have been saying flies in the face of that idea. Let's relax and give these guys a chance to show something once they get their football conditioning up to snuff. Anything we might assume before that will just be premature assumptions that mean little to nothing. Sure, they're a gamble but one that offers big results for little expense.

Aside from that, they're not the only ones who will be tested this year. We'll have some promising rookies and free agents as well to look to for help. It's far from a hopeless cause.

Kaiser

Reaction score

I don't think Mike McCarthy is going to get mad at Jerry over Aldon Smith, since the guy who first met with Smith and recommended him was..... (checks notes).... Mike McCarthy.

https://sports.yahoo.com/mike-mccarthy-aldon-smith-bigger-204739390.html

McCarthy first met Smith just before the Cowboys hired him in January while the coach was working out at Jay Glazer’s Unbreakable gym in Los Angeles.

“He is such an impressive young man and his path to Dallas is special and unique, so just thankful and blessed to be a part of this opportunity with him,” McCarthy said. “You know, he wants to get back professionally and be productive. He’s in great physical shape. It will be exciting to see him get out there for the first time. He’s bigger and stronger than he was when we had a chance to compete against him there when he was with the 49ers obviously playing at an elite level. So, I think it will be exciting to see him on the field and get back into it. He’s in a great place and very thankful for him being a part of the Dallas Cowboys.”

Whyjerry

Reaction score

How is it possible Crawford is there? Anae, Armstrong, and Jackson would all be at least as productive and cost a fraction of what they pay him. I see McCoy playing some DE as well especially if they go hybrid 3-4 which they will. I would be shocked if Crawford is on the team.

75boyz

Reaction score
The line will be determined by how much the Cowboys get from Gregory and Aldon Smith. Plus Law has to man up this year.

Agree. An older post touched on this a while ago. I said the same thing then as now. To me, "IF" (A huge IF in my eyes) Smith and Gregory give the d-line what Bennett and Quinn did last year then the d line production level may be a wash as compared to last year hopefully.
Guess I'm just not as sold as most on McCoy/Poe recapturing previous glory as the interior starters.

The brand new faces and second year guys need to really show up as well.

DLaw is definitely in the vastly overpaid status based off last year and lastly, not a big Nolan fan. Sorry for not so rosy an outlook. Only an opinion.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Nice work here Jumbo. This is clearly a more talented DL than we have had in a long time and I’m looking forward to seeing how they gel and learn to play as a unit.

Best case scenarios are fun for us fans. DreamIng big is one of the best parts of the offseason. But Im also really hoping we have a GM and FO that are prepared for a less than best case scenario, which is what happens to most teams, most years in the NFL. The teams that can deal with injuries and curve balls during a season are usually the ones winning games in January.

Jerry has gotten better at delegating lots of GM duties to more competent people like Will McClay. I’m hopeful we are getting better at handling injuries and other unpredictable circumstances than years past. Jerry is a big optimist by nature, which is great in business and in most things in life. But being an effective GM on the other hand requires a healthy dose of cold cynicism that includes “What happens when....”.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
The one area that concerns me the most will come within the secondary positions. The experience and talent there has improved in upside but not in the prospects of having fully developed experience. If Awuzie is moved to safety as is now being considered, the CB spots will be manned by inexperienced rookies. This is no promising scenario -- especially when we play the better teams with experienced QBs. The best we might do in that regard will be to acquire other teams' castoffs when the final cuts are in. That's no guaranteed solution but could help our chances of having a smoother transition.

Last edited:

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I would put Woods ahead of Hill. More stout against the run.

I think Hill's best spot is 3-tech. Dallas drafted him based on his quickness off the snap, which we really didn't see last year. He is a speed to power player, so if he has to play a position that relies more on power, I think he would struggle more.

I think there's a better chance of Gallimore ending up at 1-tech than Hill. He has lots of power, but needs to learn to stay low..

However, since both of them have a lot of development needs in that area, I fully expect Woods to be the interior backup.

If Gregory is reinstated, I think our primary rotation (unless someone surprises) will be:

LDE Lawrence, Crawford

3-tech McCoy, Crawford

1-tech Poe, Woods

RDE Smith, Gregory

Would like for the young DL to come on and knock Crawford out of the rotation, players like Anae, Jelks, Jackson, Carter and Armstrong at end and Gallimore and Hill at 3-tech. (If Gregory doesn't get reinstated, then need a young player to come on there or we could end up with a primary three-man rotation of Lawrence, Smith and Crawford there. I really don't want to see Crawford at RDE.)