Opinion: Cowboys Maybe Able To Move The Ball Thru The Air On Bucs..

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Pick6TerenceNewman;2369712 said:
You got to mix it up.

Yup, that's what the play action is for. Get some crossing routes, L patterns, screens, reverses. High percentage throws that are quick and attack different parts of the field. Slants and out patterns are going to get us decked. I want Crayton on 1 reverse early when we're like 2 and 3. Then I want him again on a reverse but a trick play to throw the ball to RW or Owens. Crayton used to play a little QB so he can do this. We do all this with a good running game and some deep action passes we have some nice balance, variety and aren't predictable.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
The things that traditionally work against cover-2 are 1) running the ball, and 2) the tight end.

I think we need to make every effort to run the ball a lot. Hopefully Barber can run over some of their smaller LBs. I'd use Choice relatively early if I thought MB3 needed a break, too.

And I'd try to hit Bennett on some passes. They'll be keying all over Witten,and the young fella can make some plays against them if we'll give him a chance and trust him, IMO.

Some double moves on Talib might not be a bad idea if you can get the safety cheating over, too. He's super aggressive and will get greedy and squat on routes. Might be overanxious to make a play in his hometown, too.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2369726 said:
The things that traditionally work against cover-2 are 1) running the ball, and 2) the tight end.

I think we need to make every effort to run the ball a lot. Hopefully Barber can run over some of their smaller LBs. I'd use Choice relatively early if I thought MB3 needed a break, too.

And I'd try to hit Bennett on some passes. They'll be keying all over Witten,and the young fella can make some plays against them if we'll give him a chance and trust him, IMO.

Some double moves on Talib might not be a bad idea if you can get the safety cheating over, too. He's super aggressive and will get greedy and squat on routes. Might be overanxious to make a play in his hometown, too.

Nice insight.

Reaction score

Great Job Chocolate Lab! Totally agree! :toast2:

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
Pick6TerenceNewman;2369667 said:
Again, it starts in the trenches and ends in the trenches.

you wont get an argument from me

The Ominous

Dead Man Stalkin
Reaction score

I like it. Perhaps a sneaky little screen to Tashard would do wonders against their agressiveness.

Get Bennett moving around. Put him and Witten on the same side to alleviate some pressure of Jason. We should throw Owens in motion and have him break into his route right outside of Witten to also alleviate some pressure.

Reaction score
AKATheRake;2369722 said:
Yup, that's what the play action is for. Get some crossing routes, L patterns, screens, reverses. High percentage throws that are quick and attack different parts of the field. Slants and out patterns are going to get us decked. I want Crayton on 1 reverse early when we're like 2 and 3. Then I want him again on a reverse but a trick play to throw the ball to RW or Owens. Crayton used to play a little QB so he can do this. We do all this with a good running game and some deep action passes we have some nice balance, variety and aren't predictable.

This could be the Game that Roy Williams gets it going. Garrett should just run every play Roy Williams knows and continue to run them over and over. Roy Will Get Open!

Like to see Choice get the ball as well.

links18

Reaction score
The game plan for beating the Cowboys O has been published: Jam, double team and frustrate Owens, while pressuring the QB. Tampa is not going to deviate from that, unless someone else makes them pay--Can we get a few passes into Roy Williams early? Run some effective screens to Barber? That's the only way a defense is going to think about letting off of Owens any....

Aven8

Reaction score
The key to the game is to run right at them. Barber can't be back there dancing around.....Tampa's defense is too fast. No sweeps, etc. Run right at them...get our big Oline on the second level.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
If the line gives him time, and Garrett moves to more 3 step drops to get the ball out quicker, on quicker, shorter, routes, then this is a game that could be won.

We'll have to wait and see how they approach it.

utrunner07

Reaction score
Here is an opinion for you: if the Cowboys cant move the ball through the air against the BUCs they are one of the worst offensive teams in the league...

khiladi

Reaction score
AKATheRake;2369632 said:
This is the type of defense Brad should be successful throwing against especially if we can get the run going. The Tampa 2 doesn't give up big plays and is predicated on small yardage opportunities at most in it's zones and being the team that executes better. Brad's not looking for the deep ball much and this style of D will give up those 4 -7 yarders that Brad is looking for.

1 thing though. I like Witten matched up against pretty much an LBer in the league, accept Derrick Brooks. Brooks will win as many in the air as he loses. I'd stay away from him as much as possible.

The problem is, our offensive coordinator has been looking for the deep ball all year long. Every team the Cowboys have played against, the defenses are set against stopping the vertical passing game, dropping men back in coverage. And Jason refuses to adjust his game-plan accordingly.