Opinion: Dak should not sign extension this offseason

RamziD

Reaction score
This team has shown no serious commitment to winning, nor does it seem like they have a clear plan for success. If I was Dak, I would bet on myself and play out the last year of my contract and then sign with the highest bidder next year.

Things need to blow up spectacularly for this arrogant front office. Let’s see what position they’re in next year.

RamziD

Reaction score

The FO has shown that they will take care of their star players, but won’t do what’s best for the team to succeed. Jason Hatcher’s comments make more sense now. If I were Dak, I’d think longer about signing an extension right now.

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
Ok, so this isn't about the FO, it's about Dak.

If I were in Dak's shoes then I would agree, strictly speaking financially. The QB salaries go up every year. By this time next year 30M could be this year's 25M in terms of QB buying power.

JBS

Reaction score
This is the right conclusion..but you got there the wrong way

Dak shouldnt sign bc if he waits a year..he will get a much bigger deal next year...nothing short of dak dying will prevent this team from paying top dollar next offaeason..just wait, kid

Jeepfreak

Reaction score
But then again...has Dak proven anything? Most likely Zeke will get the Franchise tag next year and Dak will get a min offer. I realize that this may not be popular for the Dak lovers, but the guy has to show he can carry the team. The Rams showed he can't.

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
This is the right conclusion..but you got there the wrong way

Dak shouldnt sign bc if he waits a year..he will get a much bigger deal next year...nothing short of dak dying will prevent this team from paying top dollar next offaeason..just wait, kid

Exactly. The only risk is that you get so injured this year that no one wants to make a longterm commitment anymore. With Daks build and the modern passer protection rules, that risk seems minimal.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
But then again...has Dak proven anything? Most likely Zeke will get the Franchise tag next year and Dak will get a min offer. I realize that this may not be popular for the Dak lovers, but the guy has to show he can carry the team. The Rams showed he can't.
Dak will probably be signed in the next few weeks. Away troll.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
This team has shown no serious commitment to winning, nor does it seem like they have a clear plan for success. If I was Dak, I would bet on myself and play out the last year of my contract and then sign with the highest bidder next year.

Things need to blow up spectacularly for this arrogant front office. Let’s see what position they’re in next year.
LOL

He will sprint to sign the insanely dumb contract the Joneses have promised him.

RamziD

Reaction score
Ok, so this isn't about the FO, it's about Dak.

If I were in Dak's shoes then I would agree, strictly speaking financially. The QB salaries go up every year. By this time next year 30M could be this year's 25M in terms of QB buying power.

It’s about Dak doing what’s best for himself because he deserves it. It’s also about playing for a franchise where he can better succeed.

conner01

Reaction score

Lots of fans would love another cheap season of Dak

Alexander

Reaction score
It’s about Dak doing what’s best for himself because he deserves it. It’s also about playing for a franchise where he can better succeed.
If Prescott has half a brain, he knows he is the Jason Garrett of QBs.

Far more valuable in Dallas than anywhere else because of the relationship with the owner.

Alexander

Reaction score
Lots of fans would love another cheap season of Dak
A franchise with guts would do so. That is the whole point of getting a competent young QB.

Sign him now, you are jump starting that process and basically squandering the benefit of the first QB contract, especially one outside of the first round.

But as you should have been able to gather, this is a cautious franchise that lacks stones.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score

Seriously if I were the Cowboys I wouldnt sign Dak.

bb721

Reaction score
But then again...has Dak proven anything? Most likely Zeke will get the Franchise tag next year and Dak will get a min offer.

Wrong. There will be no franchise tag on Zeke next year. If he doesn’t get an extension before then all we have to do is exercise his 5th year option.

conner01

Reaction score
A franchise with guts would do so. That is the whole point of getting a competent young QB.

Sign him now, you are jump starting that process and basically squandering the benefit of the first QB contract, especially one outside of the first round.

But as you should have been able to gather, this is a cautious franchise that lacks stones.
I wouldn’t have a problem letting him play out
But I wonder if it gets more expensive
And I wonder if they can even get tank done
I have little confidence in any decision they make
Hope they have a real plan somehow but I’m not feeling it
I’ve understood being cheap the last few years but at some point you have to sign some guys, more so in a year you don’t have a first rnd pick