Opinion: Dak should not sign extension this offseason

JonesBoys

Reaction score
Lol no other team is going to give Dak 30 million plus. He’s signing here no matter what.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
But then again...has Dak proven anything? Most likely Zeke will get the Franchise tag next year and Dak will get a min offer. I realize that this may not be popular for the Dak lovers, but the guy has to show he can carry the team. The Rams showed he can't.
Why would they tag Zeke next year when he still has another year after. Thats dumb.

You guys that think Dak will play out this year and then go to the highest bidder is fooling yourselves. He will be franchised tagged if he doesn't get an extension this season. Ever year the market goes up and that way y'all can complain some more saying they should have signed Dak this season when the market goes over 30 million next year. The longer you wait the more expensive Dak will be.

Cowboys1fan

Reaction score
But then again...has Dak proven anything? Most likely Zeke will get the Franchise tag next year and Dak will get a min offer. I realize that this may not be popular for the Dak lovers, but the guy has to show he can carry the team. The Rams showed he can't.
Zeke won’t be tagged if he’s still under contract lol he has 5th year

John813

Reaction score

No need to tag Zeke if they exercise his 5th year option.

Edit: see I was late on the draw lol

pansophy

Reaction score
Dak's QBR has gone down each year he has played, and 3rd and long still doesn't look good for him if you look at 3rd down converted instead of completion percentage. We will have a new offense this year as well.

If I were Dak I would absolutely sign right now while Dallas seems committed to signing him to anything north of 25m a year since it will be cheaper cap wise to do it now than later. The chances that he makes a significant amount more after next year are small, in part because of the advantage of an extension versus new contract, and the chances of a blah or poor season dropping his value a lot is real.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I get the argument why. Look at what Mayfield has to work with. Look at what Goff has. Look at Mahomes. Just a year ago they went into the season with Hurns and Beasley as his best receivers. That’s embarrassing. This team doesn’t seem to be in a hurry to build a contender. If the Raiders weren’t idiots they would’ve been in trouble in regards to their receiving core. Instead they luck out on Gallup and Cooper and pretend like they planned this all along.

pansophy

Reaction score
Just to add when Romo 'bet on himself' he was set to sign a low-to-mid range contract rather than high level starter contract, which gave him a lot more incentive to wait.

kevm3

Reaction score
If I'm dak, i consider getting out of here if I want to win. After two decades of nonstop failure, The jones boys still think they are bonafide gms

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Dak's QBR has gone down each year he has played, and 3rd and long still doesn't look good for him if you look at 3rd down converted instead of completion percentage. We will have a new offense this year as well.

If I were Dak I would absolutely sign right now while Dallas seems committed to signing him to anything north of 25m a year since it will be cheaper cap wise to do it now than later. The chances that he makes a significant amount more after next year are small, in part because of the advantage of an extension versus new contract, and the chances of a blah or poor season dropping his value a lot is real.
Dak’s qbr last season suffered because this front office gave him no weapons to work with until they were 7 games in.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I can name you 15+ games, including playoff games, where Dak has carried the team.

GenoT

Reaction score
Just my opinion but, if Jerry offered me “franchise QB” dollar$$$$ before my 4th season, I wouldn’t spend a whole lotta time overthinking various longterm scenarios.

pansophy

Reaction score
Dak’s qbr last season suffered because this front office gave him no weapons to work with until they were 7 games in.
So Beasley will be gone and Witten is back. Whether you put last season on Dak or not, I would sign right now. Not a lot of upside to waiting and a lot of bad things that could go wrong.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
This team has shown no serious commitment to winning, nor does it seem like they have a clear plan for success. If I was Dak, I would bet on myself and play out the last year of my contract and then sign with the highest bidder next year.

Things need to blow up spectacularly for this arrogant front office. Let’s see what position they’re in next year.
You have to win to make the playoffs

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
So Beasley will be gone and Witten is back. Whether you put last season on Dak or not, I would sign right now. Not a lot of upside to waiting and a lot of bad things that could go wrong.
Of course he should sign. He’s about to get 30 million a year. Won’t be many teams knocking down his door to offer that. But this organization is not about winning. It’s head guys in charge aren’t anyway.

GenoT

Reaction score
You have to win to make the playoffs
No argument here...however, losing in the playoffs renders any regular season wins into something as ultimately meaningless as...oh, I dunno...Tony Romo’s career stats, maybe?

:muttley::thumbup::grin:

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
This team has shown no serious commitment to winning, nor does it seem like they have a clear plan for success. If I was Dak, I would bet on myself and play out the last year of my contract and then sign with the highest bidder next year.

Things need to blow up spectacularly for this arrogant front office. Let’s see what position they’re in next year.

Dak should hold out without an extension. His agent should limit injury risk for 2mil when he's looking at 10s of millions in a signing bonus soon.

basel90

Reaction score
I wouldn’t have a problem letting him play out
But I wonder if it gets more expensive
And I wonder if they can even get tank done
I have little confidence in any decision they make
Hope they have a real plan somehow but I’m not feeling it
I’ve understood being cheap the last few years but at some point you have to sign some guys, more so in a year you don’t have a first rnd pick

if he plays well in 2019 and carries the team to two wins at least in the postseason , then i would feel better paying him top dollar in the 25-30 range. Paying 25mil now is a big risk as he has yet to show he can beat teams with his arm . The rams and tennessee games exposed him last season.