Opinion: Dak will not play out his rookie contract; will get some sort of extension

Willfreedom909

Reaction score
Yes saved last season. The Cowboys were alive until the last game of the season with an imminent suspension forthcoming to the star RB...A RB many of you called the best player in the NFL...certainly the best RB and according to you people the best/most important offensive weapon Dallas has.

The fact Dallas was able to hold it together until game 15 is a testament to Dak. If Dak was any less of a QB Dallas season would have been over the second Zeke went out of the lineup.
Good post, boy.

BigD_95

Reaction score
If any QB should take less in the league it should be Dak? Holy hell what are you talking about? You understand that for the past 3 seasons the Cowboys have been paying him about 5000% below market rate right?

It must be opposite day. If any QB that should take MORE in the league its Dak.

How is it Cowboys fault where Dak got drafted and the pay scale? He is getting paid now what the league averages say. And didn’t I read he is making millions in Endorsements? It’s not like he is poor being the QB for the Cowboys.

But if you actually read what I wrote is he needs help . He isn’t carrying any team on his back. So he should take less so that money can be used to get and keep talent around him if he wants to have success. I’m not saying he should make peanuts. But if his value is 21 million a year he take 17 million. You know Tom Brady has taking less money than he could get because he wanted a better team. Dak needs a better team

eastsideboy

Reaction score
I can see there's a lot of people here who never negotiated contract so I'll just let it go :facepalm:

eastsideboy

Reaction score
So top 15 isn't a franchise QB? Haha and you telling me to put the bottle down. I didn't say elite, big difference between elite and franchise guy
sorry to me franchise and elete mean the same thing and they're only about seven of those guys in the league but I consed your point

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Current thread title - Opinion: Dak will not play out his rookie contract; will get some sort of extension.

Future thread title: Opinion: Dak will not play out his 2nd contract; will get cut.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
sorry to me franchise and elete mean the same thing and they're only about seven of those guys in the league but I consed your point
Name those 7 guys. Elite and franchise QB isn't the same thing. Elite is Brees. A franchise guy is like Trubisky.

eastsideboy

Reaction score
Name those 7 guys. Elite and franchise QB isn't the same thing. Elite is Brees. A franchise guy is like Trubisky.
so your definition of a franchise quarterback is a starting quarterback we're just not going to agree on definitions

TheGoat73

Reaction score
Dak WILL NOT play out his rookie contract. He WILL get some sort of extension.

Had to get this off my chest because I keep seeing people post about how Dak has 1 year left on his deal. Unless both Dak and his Agent suddenly get brain damage there is 0% chance he plays on a 1 year $840K contract. To me this is just common sense and needs to be put out there so we can discuss the cap and future plans with reason.

We don’t have a first round pick in the upcoming draft. Dak isn’t going anywhere.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
$10M contract is the going rate for a mediocre backup QB, ie Chase Daniel.

How is he getting paid earlier? I’m confused now. My point is that Dak playing under a $840K contract is a giant risk for him when we all know he will get paid A LOT more than that if all he does is stay healthy.

I’m not arguing the merits of Dak deserving/not deserving a big contract. If it were up to me I wouldn’t pay him either to be perfectly honest with you. I’m just saying that it’s damn near common sense that the 4th year starting QB of the Dallas Cowboys isn’t playing on the last year of his deal with absolutely no financial security.

I don't know if 10M is the going rate. I have not seen any data that suggest this is standard practice. Either way, I have already said that I don't know what the contract will be, going forward.

I don't agree that Dak will not play out his contract, if it comes to that. I think he will but I also don't think that his 840K will be what is offered to him by the team. The question here is, what will he be offered and will he accept that or just play out his contract and move on in FA?

With regards to the whole, "Getting Paid earlier" if he sits out, he doesn't get paid. He doesn't get credit for another year of service towards retirement and he opens himself up to fines etc., if he sits. I just don't see that. Again, all this depends on the market for Dak, which we have no idea about, at this time.

I get it that you don't believe Dak would play, I just don't agree that he would sit out the season over it, if it ever came to that.

Jimbo69

Reaction score
Bortles is sitting on the bench this week, jacksonville are on the hook for a $16.5 m cap hit if they move him on. Now perhaps Dak plays better, perhaps a change in coaching results in better play but the bortles situation is a situation that Dallas should take seriously. A good young team being held back by a qb that was given a contract that his play did not deserve. Where do the jags go now?

glimmerman

Reaction score
I would play him another year and see how much more he improves. Then pay him. His agent isn’t going to let him settle for 15 million. It’s gonna be what it’s gonna be. If he is to be the franchise QB then JJ will pay up.

DCreppinBoysfan

Reaction score
Tampa, Oakland, Jax, Oakland, NYG, Miami

Take your pick on who would give him $10+M
He’s already highly marketable coming from Dallas. I think team would overpaid Dak to bring a bigger fanbase to their team. That’s why Jerry wouldn’t let Romo play anywhere else.

Sevenup3000

Reaction score
How is it Cowboys fault where Dak got drafted and the pay scale? He is getting paid now what the league averages say. And didn’t I read he is making millions in Endorsements? It’s not like he is poor being the QB for the Cowboys.

But if you actually read what I wrote is he needs help . He isn’t carrying any team on his back. So he should take less so that money can be used to get and keep talent around him if he wants to have success. I’m not saying he should make peanuts. But if his value is 21 million a year he take 17 million. You know Tom Brady has taking less money than he could get because he wanted a better team. Dak needs a better team

If there is one QB besides maybe Cam Newton and Russel Wilson, that should not take a paycut...it is Dak Prescott. Cowboys ALREADY got a discount given what he was PROJECTED to do when his contract was signed and what he has produced under his contract.

Now it is time to pay up. Not pay above market rate...but damn sure not below it either.

And is Stafford carrying the team on his back? What about Cousins? Or Carr?

They all seem to get paid fairly well...Well Dak should be added to that list.

Willfreedom909

Reaction score
Yes saved last season. The Cowboys were alive until the last game of the season with an imminent suspension forthcoming to the star RB...A RB many of you called the best player in the NFL...certainly the best RB and according to you people the best/most important offensive weapon Dallas has.

The fact Dallas was able to hold it together until game 15 is a testament to Dak. If Dak was any less of a QB Dallas season would have been over the second Zeke went out of the lineup.
Good post, boy.
lol I am a fool and I can't read at all...I mistook the "they're" for "you"