Opinion: Introducing our new Center: Conner McGovern

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Did you see how good Looney started at Center all of the 2018 season?

Have you seen video on YouTube about when McGovern played Center his sophomore year in college? He did not look better than Looney did for the Cowboys in 2018.

If McGovern beats Looney out for the starter's job this training camp and preseason, you'll hear no argument from me, but I seriously doubt McGovern will beat Looney right away considering Looney started a whole season at Center (and played admirably well) while McGovern has yet to even get on any professional football playing field.

Is that some kind of laughable joke? The line completely fell apart with Looney at center. The guy is a backup that can hold down the fort against a bad team for a game or two.

Dak was sacked at an alarming rate with Looney at center or dont you remember? 56 sacks to be exact.

Frederick returns and out goes looney and the sacks go down to 23 sacks. LOL

Looney is a joke for a center and if he plays all year you can kiss any chance goodbye of us have any kind of amazing season.

Batman1980

Reaction score
I still remember when Suh and Donald absolutely destroyed Looney, it was all Martin could do to slow them down a bit.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Is that some kind of laughable joke? The line completely fell apart with Looney at center. The guy is a backup that can hold down the fort against a bad team for a game or two.

Dak was sacked at an alarming rate with Looney at center or dont you remember? 56 sacks to be exact.

Frederick returns and out goes looney and the sacks go down to 23 sacks. LOL

Looney is a joke for a center and if he plays all year you can kiss any chance goodbye of us have any kind of amazing season.
Oh, you mean the same year in 2018 where Connor Williams was starting as a rookie at Left Guard and constantly getting blown by? He wasn't the only one. So was Tyron, Zack and La'El, but I guess it's easier for you just to blame those 56 sacks on Looney, eh?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Oh, look...

A video showing Joe Looney was to blame for those 56 sacks in 2018.

Oh, wait...

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Oh, you mean the same year in 2018 where Connor Williams was starting as a rookie at Left Guard and constantly getting blown by? He wasn't the only one. So was Tyron, Zack and La'El, but I guess it's easier for you just to blame those 56 sacks on Looney, eh?

No, Williams was a big part of it too. But where you come up with this nonsense that Looney played well is a huge mystery. 56 to 23 sacks with ONE Player different is an abomination. 33 sack difference going from Looney to Frederick.

Williams played last year right next to Frederick and Fred was 70%. Looney was a huge huge problem with protections and setting the line.

Center is a big time position and the key to any line. Going from Frederick to Looney is a huge huge gap. IF we have to rely on Looney again we are in big trouble. Not to mention Zeke had probably his worst season ever. 3rd and 4th and short were a huge problem. Zeke had like 7 rushing TD's.

Looney is a backup for a reason. You need to stop going around acting like Looney is a good player. He 100% is NOT. NO ONE looked to sign the guy after 2018 or 2019. If had a good season in 2018 he would have gotten snatched up. Its just simply not true.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Oh, look...

A video showing Joe Looney was to blame for those 56 sacks in 2018.

Oh, wait...

Is this where you get all offended and have to exaggerate to make a point when someone doesnt think that a player is good?

Looney is garbage.

Frederick was the leader of the line. You cant put a price on leadership and communication. 2 areas where Looney just doesnt cut it.

And I fail to see where that video did anything to support your cause.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
No, Williams was a big part of it too. But where you come up with this nonsense that Looney played well is a huge mystery. 56 to 23 sacks with ONE Player different is an abomination. 33 sack difference going from Looney to Frederick.

Williams played last year right next to Frederick and Fred was 70%. Looney was a huge huge problem with protections and setting the line.

Center is a big time position and the key to any line. Going from Frederick to Looney is a huge huge gap. IF we have to rely on Looney again we are in big trouble. Not to mention Zeke had probably his worst season ever. 3rd and 4th and short were a huge problem. Zeke had like 7 rushing TD's.

Looney is a backup for a reason. You need to stop going around acting like Looney is a good player. He 100% is NOT. NO ONE looked to sign the guy after 2018 or 2019. If had a good season in 2018 he would have gotten snatched up. Its just simply not true.
Show me some tape on Looney. Put your mouth where the tape is. Don't talk. Walk.

If Looney was as bad as you say, it should be easy for you to find tape on him being so.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Is this where you get all offended and have to exaggerate to make a point when someone doesnt think that a player is good?

Looney is garbage.

Frederick was the leader of the line. You cant put a price on leadership and communication. 2 areas where Looney just doesnt cut it.

And I fail to see where that video did anything to support your cause.
Yeah, Looney is garbage. That's why the Cowboys made sure to bring him back while letting others walk BEFORE FREDERICK SUDDENLY ANNOUNCED HIS RETIREMENT.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Show me some tape on Looney. Put your mouth where the tape is. Don't talk. Walk.

If Looney was as bad as you say, it should be easy for you to find tape on him being so.

LOL......and where do I go find tape? Why do I have to go find tape? For you? Is that what YOU found was tape? LOL

Looney is a backup and Frederick is an all pro.

Line in 2018=56 sacks

Collins, Martin, Looney, Williams, Smith
Collins ,Martin, Frederick, Williams, Smith

Line in 2019=23 sacks.

I hate to break it to you but the ONLY difference between 33 sacks is ONE guy. Loney for Frederick was the ONLY difference.

Now I definitely believe that Williams improved some from rookie to 2nd season, but that improvement was NOT the difference in 33 sacks.

Frederick is just so much better than Looney its ridiculous.

Your claim that Looney had some kind of great season for us starting in 2018 is just so wrong its ridiculous.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Oh, look. Some stats on Looney's performance in 2018 when he started at Center all season for the Cowboys.

Screenshot-20200325-210844-Chrome.jpg

Who was saying that Looney was responsible for giving up all those sacks (56 in 2018) and is total garbage?

:huh:

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
LOL......and where do I go find tape? Why do I have to go find tape? For you? Is that what YOU found was tape? LOL

Looney is a backup and Frederick is an all pro.

Line in 2018=56 sacks

Collins, Martin, Looney, Williams, Smith
Collins ,Martin, Frederick, Williams, Smith

Line in 2019=23 sacks.

I hate to break it to you but the ONLY difference between 33 sacks is ONE guy. Loney for Frederick was the ONLY difference.

Now I definitely believe that Williams improved some from rookie to 2nd season, but that improvement was NOT the difference in 33 sacks.

Frederick is just so much better than Looney its ridiculous.

Your claim that Looney had some kind of great season for us starting in 2018 is just so wrong its ridiculous.
You're all talk. No proof whatsoever. Just mouth.

I've already shown you 2 different sets of proof to backup my comments.

Where is yours?

:popcorn:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Argue all you want but he didn’t play terrible when he took over for Frederick in 2018.

Sure he didnt. They just went from 56 sacks to 23 sacks and he was the ONLY difference in the line.

Looney is backup fodder. Nothing close to Frederick. We need not only a starting caliber center, which Looney is not, but we need a pro bowl type center.

That is if you want the line to continue to be a strength. Save for the one season where Looney started and we gave up 56 sacks.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Oh, look. Some stats on Looney's performance in 2018 when he started at Center all season for the Cowboys.

Screenshot-20200325-210844-Chrome.jpg

Who was saying that Looney was responsible for giving up all those sacks (56 in 2018) and is total garbage?

:huh:

First off, I never said Looney gave up 56 sacks. If you cant have a conversation without lying or saying dumb things, then lets just move on.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
You're all talk. No proof whatsoever. Just mouth.

I've already shown you 2 different sets of proof to backup my comments.

Where is yours?

:popcorn:

LOL......what proof? A video of one play in the season? LOL

A stat showing he only gave up ONE sack? LOL

Based on your stats, he was the best player in football giving up one sack. LOL So why is he still a backup if he is soo great?

I have given you the biggest mountain of evidence you need.

Looney at center and every other player stays the same. 56 sacks

Frederick at center and every other players stays the same. 23 sacks.

What other stat do you need? LOL

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Sure he didnt. They just went from 56 sacks to 23 sacks and he was the ONLY difference in the line.

Looney is backup fodder. Nothing close to Frederick. We need not only a starting caliber center, which Looney is not, but we need a pro bowl type center.

That is if you want the line to continue to be a strength. Save for the one season where Looney started and we gave up 56 sacks.

The biggest reason for the reduction in sacks was Dak getting rid of the ball quicker and our improved receiving corp. One of the big complaints with our receivers in 2018 were they weren’t getting open. This resulted in Dak hanging onto the ball. That wasn’t an issue last season.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The biggest reason for the reduction in sacks was Dak getting rid of the ball quicker and our improved receiving corp. One of the big complaints with our receivers in 2018 were they weren’t getting open.

LOL...........ah I see.........Its was all Dak's fault. LOL

Typical nonsense.

Same QB, same other 4 lineman. Only factor that changed in the entire scenario is Looney comes in for Frederick. Not to mention that Frederick is widely considered the best center in the game.

NO, couldnt be looney!!!! Its got to be the other 5 guys that were the problem. It could NEVER be going from a All pro center to a career backup. No chance. Looney played lights out. LOL

If you wanted to do a scientific experiment to see how bad a center Looney truly is, you couldnt have asked for a more perfect environment.

ONLY thing that changed was ONE guy. 56 sacks to 23 sacks. ONE GUY!!!

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The biggest reason for the reduction in sacks was Dak getting rid of the ball quicker and our improved receiving corp. One of the big complaints with our receivers in 2018 were they weren’t getting open. This resulted in Dak hanging onto the ball. That wasn’t an issue last season.

And how do you explain Zeke having problems running the ball? Is that Dak's fault too?

Couldnt be Looney. Nah, not the career backup.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
LOL...........ah I see.........Its was all Dak's fault. LOL

Typical nonsense.

Same QB, same other 4 lineman. Only factor that changed in the entire scenario is Looney comes in for Frederick. Not to mention that Frederick is widely considered the best center in the game.

NO, couldnt be looney!!!! Its got to be the other 5 guys that were the problem. It could NEVER be going from a All pro center to a career backup. No chance. Looney played lights out. LOL

If you wanted to do a scientific experiment to see how bad a center Looney truly is, you couldnt have asked for a more perfect environment.

ONLY thing that changed was ONE guy. 56 sacks to 23 sacks. ONE GUY!!!

I gave my opinion. Looking for a fight go find someone else!