Opinion: Jerry Jones only really offered 29 million to Dak

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
They are playing chicken with the outcome of the team's future at stake. If they really liked Dak and thought he was all that, they would have already signed him.

Evidently, they expect a special, compensatory discount for being who they are. If that's the case, they might be disappointed. :facepalm:

Last edited:

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
It was public knowledge that the main hold up was the length of the contract, not the amount.

The Cowboys wanted 5 years, Dak's agent wanted 4 years.

So since another year has passed, that's no longer a problem, right? 5 year deal before the 2020 season means it would run through 2024. A 4 year deal in 2021 means it would run through 2024 as well.

Don't see the problem. But of course it's never that simple, much as it would seem to be...

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So since another year has passed, that's no longer a problem, right? 5 year deal before the 2020 season means it would run through 2024. A 4 year deal in 2021 means it would run through 2024 as well.

Don't see the problem. But of course it's never that simple, much as it would seem to be...
I think the main reason the Cowboys wanted 5 years was to spread out the cap hit by one more year more so than having him locked-in for an extra year.

That's a common tactic with a lot of NFL contracts, but the problem is that a few players have done that and regretted it because it held them back from getting new huge contracts that last year.

Because of the way the rookie contracts work, players are locked in for up to 4-5 years with a team friendly contract and the team has the ability to tag a would-be free agent each year. Franchise tags come with a high price cap wise and that's what agents count on as incentive for teams to avoid using it despite the threats to do so during negotiations.

However, the salary cap has continued to increase every year (2020 may cause an exception for 2021 of course) and now the cost of franchise tags are getting easier to absorb for teams which is why NFL agents and players are negotiating tougher. It is the same situation with those extra year contracts where the last year was only added to spread out the signing bonus.

The problem is those contracts used to have a poison pill in them with a very high final year base salary, which in the past would cause salary cap issues if the team kept them on that same contract. In recent years though with the cap increasing more and more, it has made it a little easier for teams to absorb that final year for their best players or use that threat to negotiate a more team-friendly contract with the player.

kskboys

Reaction score
My opinion is that you are on drugs. Lots to ignore to really believe this.

kskboys

Reaction score

It's about being able to restructure to be able to put a competent team around him.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
They are playing chicken with the outcome of the team's future at stake. If they really liked Dak and thought he was all that, they would have already signed him.

There's surely some truth to that. I think they like him but just to the extent that he'll see fit to play within their wishes. I think both sides will be forced to compromise their demands if they really want a settlement. Otherwise, the 2021 team could easily suffer the outcome.

Last edited:

kskboys

Reaction score
Evidently, they expect a special, compensatory discount for being who they are. If that's the case, they might be disappointed. :facepalm:
They didn't. They've offered salaries in line w/ the top paid guys.

What they need from Dak is the length in the contract so they can put a team around him. Man, this really isn't that hard to understand.

kskboys

Reaction score
They tried.

I'll repeat myself. Short term high dollar deals keep you from success. The team's future depends on putting a team round Dak. A huge short term deal is what would ruin the outcome of the team's future.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cowboys fans should always remember- according to very reliable sources like David Moore and Bob Sturm, the only people leaking the details of the Dak negotiations were Jerry and Stephen. They leak what they want the public and fans to think.

Which means don’t buy what the Jones boys are saying they offered Dak. Why? Because fans fail to understand that NFL contracts are waaaaaaay more than just dollar amounts. It’s extremely over-simplified to say the Cowboys offered $____ and “he turned it down”. That is extremely misleading. There are so many details that go into a contract including guarantees, years, timing of guarantees, when contracts are locked each season, etc. The dollar amount is often very misleading.

The Jones boys negotiate way too much in public trying to embarrass the player into bending their way. It’s low handed and according to reliable people who cover the team, one of the ways Jerry and Stephen try to put pressure on a player.

Last point on this. IMO, too many fans don’t understand that every NFL QB is overpaid. It’s the hardest position to find even decent play. All teams overpay. Looking at Dak and saying he’s not worth market value is unfair to Dak or any other QB. Dak was grossly underpaid his first 4 years in the league compared to what he was giving the team. Asking him to take less is insulting. If Dallas doesn’t pay Dak market value, it’s a 100% guarantee that many teams will line up to pay him in FA.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Key words are I believe and IMO in your statement, only just like the talking heads lol you present it as factual
or accurate.
The truth is no one knows except dak and jones boys and goofy the agent.
Insider sources had it at 35 mil year on 5 year deal.

It doesnt matter now and things have changed, dak broke his ankle, so he could be viewed as not as durable as he was.
Durability was one thing all agreed on with dak, but now that is in question somewhat.

IMO I really dont want to get the whole dak contract thing started again, lets talk about something else.
I got sick of hearing about dak last year , and it really made me not like him because people wont shut up about him or what he is worth, not worth .
Rah Rah Blah Blah sick of it, let dako and jones boys work it out, and whatever happens happens.
AFTER IT HAPPENS, then we can talk about it.

Otherwise it is just meaningless blah blah about a worn out topic.
Thanks,,,er,,,but why am I catching a mental glimpse of SNL's Dana Carvey's mothballed drab &frumpy dull grey woolen sweater he'd sport while portraying his grumpy old man characters persona,,, hummmm, strange:lmao2: