Opinion: Next year's DC is Mike Zimmer

pansophy

Reaction score
Let me correct that for you.....for factual sake.

In 7 years in Dallas,
Zimmer had 1 really good defense,
2 average defenses,
and 4 really bad defenses.

Is Zimmer a decent head coach? Maybe.
But in Dallas, he sucked as a coordinator.
I mean we could argue that Jerry is actually the problem, loading the team with players that look better on paper than in reality. I can't recall the year, but Zimmer had some defensive units that gave up 200+ yards rushing multiple times during the season. He wasn't really the right guy to try to run a 3-4 the way Parcells wanted.

I don't know if Zimmer is really bad or not. I just think fans are funny. People forget that Aikman got booed at the end of his career too. I don't blame him for retiring.

Portnoy1

Reaction score
Mike Zimmer is just the defense version of Jason Garrett.
Uh no sir, he didn't have his playcalling duties taken from him and he has gotten farther than Garrett ever has in less time on the Job. And until this year has ALWAYS fielded a good defense.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
1. I’d prefer Todd Bowles any day

2. MM is no JJ. He won’t fire his hand picked coordinator after one season. They will determine why it’s not working and find the players needed in the front 7.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Uh no sir, he didn't have his playcalling duties taken from him and he has gotten farther than Garrett ever has in less time on the Job. And until this year has ALWAYS fielded a good defense.
His defense was good until he lost a bunch of good players? SHOCKING. That's the sign of a bad coach. The defense wasn't good last year either, anyway.

He's a nothing coach - Garrett, Zimmer, McDermott, Quinn - these guys are all exactly the same. They're good at making sure meetings stick to an agenda and practices are organized but are useless on game day.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Based on what? Clear to who?

Clear to most everyone who watched any of his teams play while he was head coach. This isn't new. Wade is a loved figure and a good defensive coordinator, but few respect him as a head coach.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Clear to most everyone who watched any of his teams play while he was head coach. This isn't new. Wade is a loved figure and a good defensive coordinator, but few respect him as a head coach.

So you got nothing other then, clear to most people? OK then.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I’m still surprised Mike didn’t go with Haslet, considering they were in the bunker together all last year.

Something weird happened with them ......no idea what but he spent several months commuting from to Mike's converted office barn game planning and breaking down films for Mike return to coaching. Hell, every Tom, Dick and Harry said he was a lock as Mike's DC or assist HC. But for some odd reason it never happened ....not even on the coaching staff. Now could very well be some Haslet family or personal issues....we don't know.

joseephuss

Reaction score
So you got nothing other then, clear to most people? OK then.

What's your problem? Why are you being purposely obtuse about this subject? Plenty of sportcasters and former players said Wade was a bad hire by Dallas. He already had a reputation of an average at best head coach and that is being kind. Don't act like you have never heard Wade being criticized as a bad head coach. I didn't drop some random, never before heard opinion on his credentials.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Zimmer would be awesome. Jerry would love it and I'm sure Mike knows him at least somewhat from being a division rival for years.

I also think it's funny when people talk about him being a bad HC. That franchise was going nowhere before he got there. He at least improved them greatly. That year they lost the playoff game when the FG kicker missed a chippy in the freezing cold was a great coaching job.

Too many people seem to think if you aren't a HOFer as a coach, you suck.

Anyway, the only negative I can see about this is that Zim is such a Jerry friend. Might be a bad look in the locker room and for Mike. We don't need anymore Wade/Garrett situations where everyone knows the Jerry crony is waiting in the wings.

+1

Rayman70

Reaction score
Zimmer lost his touch. PASS. We need fresh young coaching talent that todays players will relate with.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
What's your problem? Why are you being purposely obtuse about this subject? Plenty of sportcasters and former players said Wade was a bad hire by Dallas. He already had a reputation of an average at best head coach and that is being kind. Don't act like you have never heard Wade being criticized as a bad head coach. I didn't drop some random, never before heard opinion on his credentials.

Maybe it's you Josee. You make statements and include no supporting info on them. Then when asked why, you fall back on "most people". Well, most people don't know a lot about a lot. If you want to go that route, cool, but don't get all bent with me over it because I simply asked you why. I don't agree with your original statement and rather then simply being rude about it, I gave you opportunity to support your opinion. You elected not to do that.

I've seen Wade being criticized on this board a lot of times but that doesn't mean it was right and damn sure doesn't mean you are right. But hey, you want a rubber stamp, there are plenty here who will help you with that. I'm just not one of them.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Thank you......excellent thread. Count me 1000% in on hiring Mike for several reasons;

*rebuild the D with his kind of players ( already said I'd blow this up )
* takes no BS from anyone.....remember he fired Novr Turner's axx during mid-season
*his former DC is already on staff
* excellent eye for defensive talent

Remember he just signed an extension with the Vikes that runs through 2023 but I'm not sure that matters.

7a4a2d24ba430b4e1610cafb36f47e87

ESPN says Mike Zimmer Has Second Hottest Seat in the NFL
By Joe Rogers - October 19, 2020
A concept that seemed quite laughable in mid August very quickly became a harsh reality as of 3:00 PM on Sunday. Mike Zimmer, the man the Vikings organization had just re-invested in this past off-season, has been officially catapulted onto the hot seat.

Although the Vikings rough start through five games could’ve been called a bit unexpected, it certainly wasn’t shocking. This was a team that lost a lot of veterans and was relying on rookies to make an impact. So despite the few radical calls for Zimmer‘s job, most of the Vikings world understood what was happening.

The Falcons loss was different: It was a complete embarrassment. The sort of embarrassment that elevated the cries for Mike Zimmer’s head to the top of sports columns and social media. All you had to do was type the letter Z into Twitter and you would immediately be prompted “Zimmer Fire.”

Now to ramp things up, ESPNs Bill Barnwell has officially listed coach Zimmer as No. 2 on his hot seat list. And just so we’re clear, this isn’t just coaches — this is his list of everybody in the NFL who might lose their job.

Kirk Cousins also makes an appearance on the list, non-surprisingly. Zimmer comes in right behind Adam Gase, a man who most people believe should’ve been fired a year and a half ago.

In his column Barnwell writes:

Zimmer’s Vikings have a win, but at 1-5, it came over a fellow 1-5 team in the Texans. Zimmer, 64, has built the Vikings into an excellent defense since he became the coach in 2014, but with the team rebuilding its secondary and starting the season without star pass-rusher Danielle Hunter, they can’t seem to stop anybody on that side of the ball in 2020. They are allowing opposing teams to score 2.85 points per drive, which ties them with the Cowboys for the second-worst defense in football.

It’s hard to argue with the logic that Barnwell lays out and although he provides a possible hope for turnaround even that picture is painted a bit bleak.

Assuming that the Vikings don’t make a move during their bye week, things get a little easier after they play the Packers in Week 8. The next five games are the Lions, Bears, Cowboys, Panthers and Jaguars. If Zimmer can turn things around over that stretch, the team should move forward with him.

If he gets embarrassed by the Packers and loses a couple more divisional games, though, a 1-8 start could lead to change. Firing a coach one year removed from a playoff victory seems harsh, but both Brad Childress and Leslie Frazier were fired in the year after playoff appearances, including an NFC title game for Childress.

No one can say for sure how this season or Zimmer’s run as a coach for the Vikings is going to end ,but I think we can all agree none of us expected him to be sitting on top of an ESPN “guys who might get fired” list by Week 6.

Creeper

Reaction score
When Zimmer was the DC for Dallas, even the lean years, they always had a respectable defense. There were years when he really did not have any standout players but still manged to field a defense that could play well enough.