OPINION: Phillips HC/JG as OC/Bowles as DC...

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
I'm starting to think this is going to happen more and more, and the more I think about it the more it's making sense.

~ The obvious is that JG will become the next HC in a few years...take him in combination with Sparano for the offense. This provides young talent and experience for a good combo this year.

~ Bowles working with Phillips makes a ton of sense too. Bowles know these players and has their respect and has learned the 3-4, now bring in Phillips that run the 3-4 differently, more aggressive. Bowles will have learned from BP and Phillips. What amazing experience that is giving him as a DC.

~ Future is JG as HC and Bowles as DC...that to me sounds dang good.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
I still think it'll be Norv instead of Wade...but agree on JG and Bowles

I think Norv will get the nod because at the end of the day, Jones will probably decide he cant take a chance and not have Romo develop to fullest.

I do think that whether its Wade or Norv, people are going to be quite surprised at the results (positive) for 2007

David

DipChit

Reaction score
Portland Fanatic;1340536 said:
~ Future is JG as HC and Bowles as DC...that to me sounds dang good.

Might sound good for the future.

But what about the present? Are we bothering to try and take the next step right now or are we in the business of developing guys to be coordinators that someone might well snag away in a year or two to be HC's of their own anyhow.

I guess we're trying to do both.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
dbair1967;1340553 said:
I still think it'll be Norv instead of Wade...but agree on JG and Bowles

I think Norv will get the nod because at the end of the day, Jones will probably decide he cant take a chance and not have Romo develop to fullest.

I do think that whether its Wade or Norv, people are going to be quite surprised at the results (positive) for 2007

David
I'm very much inclined to agree. This team is not far away. Not far at all.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
If it was Wade the DC would depend on who he could bring from SD - if he can get Manusky or Nunnely to come with then they'd end up as the DC. Of course one of those guys would end up as the SD DC

philo beddoe

Benched
Reaction score
I'm telling you guys, Gary Gibbs is the wild card here. He has a history with JJ and the franchise.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
dbair1967;1340553 said:

Why is Romo the priority? Why not all the first round defenders? Who is going to help them develop to the fullest?

The Realist

Reaction score
DipChit;1340567 said:
Might sound good for the future.

But what about the present? Are we bothering to try and take the next step right now or are we in the business of developing guys to be coordinators that someone might well snag away in a year or two to be HC's of their own anyhow.

I guess we're trying to do both.

The present - O finished 4th. JG/Sparano good combo. Look what Phillips did with SD's D. We need that now.

cleverusername

Reaction score
abersonc;1340592 said:
If it was Wade the DC would depend on who he could bring from SD - if he can get Manusky or Nunnely to come with then they'd end up as the DC. Of course one of those guys would end up as the SD DC

This is what i'm thinking, too. As a defensive minded head coach you would think he wants to bring in someone he is familiar with as DC.

superpunk

Reaction score
abersonc;1340599 said:
Why is Romo the priority? Why not all the first round defenders? Who is going to help them develop to the fullest?

I don't think any position is a higher priority than QB - the guy who's gonna touch the ball every play. I'm not saying that trumps all, and the end-all qualification for coaching candidates is "Will develop Romo" but look how long we've struggled to find someone even remotely qualified for the job. Don't want to mess that up now.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
abersonc;1340599 said:

look at all the trouble we've had at QB since #8 retired...Romo clearly appears to be the best hope we've had since then to have a good QB...I just think he'll end up the priority and Jones will listen to Parcells and believe Bowles can fix the D...just my guess

David

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
dbair1967;1340620 said:
look at all the trouble we've had at QB since #8 retired...Romo clearly appears to be the best hope we've had since then to have a good QB...I just think he'll end up the priority and Jones will listen to Parcells and believe Bowles can fix the D...just my guess

David
It does make sense to err on the side of caution. But I think Wwade would do very well here also. I just got a good feeling on Garrett.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
superpunk;1340617 said:
I don't think any position is a higher priority than QB - the guy who's gonna touch the ball every play. I'm not saying that trumps all, and the end-all qualification for coaching candidates is "Will develop Romo" but look how long we've struggled to find someone even remotely qualified for the job. Don't want to mess that up now.

It is certainly a priority -- but if it is such a priority why did we let Lee get away and why are we letting Palmer leave? Romo really liked those guys and they did well with him. My guess is that Jerry had Garrett in his sites to develop Romo -- great. But then we don't need Norv too. I just don't see devoting so much staff to the guy.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
abersonc;1340592 said:
I think there's a very good chance one of them comes over. One gets the SD DC job and the other gets the Dallas DC job. It makes sense to allow him to at least put his guys on defense, since that's apparently not happening on offense.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
dbair1967;1340620 said:

Of course, we've also had tons of trouble finding a pass rusher since Haley left.....

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
I'd prefer Manusky over Bowles....but I would settle for the laddar if Phillips comes is as the head coach.
Any other combination and it better be an experienced 3-4 guy, because Bowles worked under a regime that didn't seem to understand how to use the defense in the modern way.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
Whoever the next guy is that comes in to work with Romo, I hope they take the positive approach and attempt to build him up, instead of constantly attempting to tear him down.

That may have worked in the olden days, but I don't think today's athletes respond to that myself.

Gotta remember these kids have grown up where everyone plays equal time, .. everyone gets a trophy, .. you always "did good today", .. 2nd place is good too, .. let's celebrate with ice cream.

I have watched it happen and am seeing the results everywhere.

You can hold off on the "annointing oil" without dwelling only on the "warts".

I just think humans respond better with positive reinforcement instead of negative.

superpunk

Reaction score
windward;1340640 said:
It does make sense to err on the side of caution. But I think Wwade would do very well here also. I just got a good feeling on Garrett.

He could turn out to be very good.

But it kind of sucks when, trying to be behind the move, all we've got as fans is "he gives me a good feeling."

abersonc;1340647 said:
It is certainly a priority -- but if it is such a priority why did we let Lee get away and why are we letting Palmer leave? Romo really liked those guys and they did well with him. My guess is that Jerry had Garrett in his sites to develop Romo -- great. But then we don't need Norv too. I just don't see devoting so much staff to the guy.

I don't think Norv gets hired. I can't bring myself to live in a world where Norv Turner is the head coach of the Dallas Cowboys. I know his teams were talent strapped in his other stints - but he did nothing to improve that in Oakland, and precious little in Washington. I don't see why that's going to suddenly change in Dallas. Phillips makes me slightly less nauseaus, but only because I like SD's defensive style.