OPINION: Phillips HC/JG as OC/Bowles as DC...

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
summerisfunner;1340840 said:
in practice you could hear BP screaming 'atta boy' constantly, and that's not even accouting for the 1-on-1 time, BP isn't straight negative guys, he just knows how to push buttons, and it varies for certain players

I'm sure that's true.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
dbair1967;1340858 said:
it could be some of it...but other teams figure out how to rush the passer and dont always have elite players up front

we have alot of highly regarded guys on this defense now...guys that made a ton of plays in college...when the same thing happens every yr despite new players, new scheme, new opponents, but ONE thing is constant...you dont exactly have to be a rocket scientist, ya know?

David

So 11.5 sacks isn't a good season? With the guy who kept double teams off you out injured for half the season?

AbeBeta

Reaction score
WV Cowboy;1340830 said:
You're right, some might, .. so you better make sure the kid you are talking to is one of those rare kids.

I doubt it is the "rare" kid -- I work in a field where most of the feedback you get is negative -- you learn to deal with that after a while -- these kids have been having their technique corrected etc. for years. They can handle it. If they can't they need to stop being such freaking babies.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
abersonc;1340897 said:
So 11.5 sacks isn't a good season? With the guy who kept double teams off you out injured for half the season?

Ware had a good yr...could have been alot better had he spent more time trying to chase QB's instead of receivers

David

AbeBeta

Reaction score
dbair1967;1340958 said:
Ware had a good yr...could have been alot better had he spent more time trying to chase QB's instead of receivers

David

yeah. it was awful how he totally blew up that 4th down play against the Colts with his coverage.

The Realist

Reaction score
DipChit;1340773 said:
Well Wade as HC is a question mark right off the bat as HC's go.

Whoever the DC is going to be is going to be a question mark as DC's go.

Sparano was doing OC by committee which means I have no idea how good he really is.... and most of the committee will be gone Haley/Palmer/BP.

And Romo is far from proven over the long haul.

That makes all 4 slots unproven in my mind.

If it doesnt in yours, and/or you think it'll all mesh together nicely regardless, thats cool.

Well I guess it's called taking a leap of faith after doing your due dilligence.

Mangini, Payton weren't proven commodities.

I would say Gibbs as NO's DC was a question mark.

Sparano called the plays last year and we were #4 in O.

You want proven commodities every where I give you DC's 53 man roster full of high priced FA's and the most expensive coaching staff in the league.

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
The Realist;1341042 said:
You want proven commodities every where I give you DC's 53 man roster full of high priced FA's and the most expensive coaching staff in the league.

Now this may be the best point brought up all day...for the week!

Gotta love those Skins...

DipChit

Reaction score
The Realist;1341042 said:

Everywhere??

When it come's to those 4 segments I mentioned I'd settle for.. anywhere.

The Realist

Reaction score
DipChit;1341098 said:
Everywhere??

When it come's to those 4 segments I mentioned I'd settle for.. anywhere.

Well that leaves you where Saints fans were when they got Payton as HC (OC by committee here in Dallas) and our LB coach as DC.

Or where Chicago fans were when they got Phillies LB coach as DC.

Or when we brought in a bunch of college guys with Jimmy.

Or when Bill brought in Weis from HS.

Or when we brought in the Giants figurehead OC in Payton.

Or when we brought in Sparano after he was let go twice (Jax/Cleveland).

Or when Del Rio went from Ravens LB coach to DC of the Panthers.

In my mind Sparano got it done last year on O.

Wade has gotten it done in the past as HC in Buffalo and as DC in SD. And he's never had this kind of talent overall.

For all we know Bowles is the next hot name as a DC.

One repeat performance by Sparano on O and we have zero chance of keeping him when his contract expires.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
dbair1967;1340958 said:

David

Ware will have 15 sacks easy with Wade as coach.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
dbair1967;1340958 said:

David

Ware is an OLB in the 3-4, he's gonna have to cover, why not get alot of work in and perfect your craft?

The Realist

Reaction score
summerisfunner;1341155 said:
Ware is an OLB in the 3-4, he's gonna have to cover, why not get alot of work in and perfect your craft?

I guarantee Giants fans weren't complaining when LT spent 2/3 of his time in coverage in 1991 SB.

2 man line, 4 LB's and 5 DB's.

Pretty much same thing BB did vs Philly in SB.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Oh_Canada;1341144 said:
Ware will have 15 sacks easy with Wade as coach.
Agreed. The number of blitzes with Wade will literally double, giving Ware many more opportunities for sacks.

DipChit

Reaction score
The Realist;1341142 said:
Well that leaves you where Saints fans were when they got Payton as HC (OC by committee here in Dallas) and our LB coach as DC.

Or where Chicago fans were when they got Phillies LB coach as DC.

Or when we brought in a bunch of college guys with Jimmy.

Or when Bill brought in Weis from HS.

Or when we brought in the Giants figurehead OC in Payton.

Or when we brought in Sparano after he was let go twice (Jax/Cleveland).

Or when Del Rio went from Ravens LB coach to DC of the Panthers.

In my mind Sparano got it done last year on O.

Wade has gotten it done in the past as HC in Buffalo and as DC in SD. And he's never had this kind of talent overall.

For all we know Bowles is the next hot name as a DC.

One repeat performance by Sparano on O and we have zero chance of keeping him when his contract expires.

Yup.

And how many of those scenarios lead to a team winning something significant the year they did those things?

Hey coaches come and go.. no doubt. All I'm saying is to enter a year with so many question marks at the top tier coaching level as well as QB when you otherwise feel you got a legit shot is concerning to me.

Hey, if Wade decides he doesnt want the job afterall, lets just bring in Rich Kotite. He "got it done" in the past. Couple 10-6, 11-5 type seasons.. playoff victory.

The Realist

Reaction score
DipChit;1341192 said:
Yup.

And how many of those scenarios lead to a team winning something significant the year they did those things?

Hey coaches come and go.. no doubt. All I'm saying is to enter a year with so many question marks at the top tier coaching level as well as QB when you otherwise feel you got a legit shot is concerning to me.

Hey, if Wade decides he doesnt want the job afterall, lets just bring in Rich Kotite. He "got it done" in the past. Couple 10-6, 11-5 type seasons.. playoff victory.

Do you have a solution or are you just talking?

Who would you hire as HC, DC, OC right now and who would be your quarterback?

If you don't have an answer that speaks volumes.

What did the top 5-10 coaches all time do in their first year?

Reality is we were 2 Bledsoe picks 6's, a holding issue on a FG and a few coverage issues by Oy! Williams/Braie James from being 12-4 and possibly still playing.

DipChit

Reaction score
The Realist;1341248 said:
Do you have a solution or are you just talking?

Who would you hire as HC, DC, OC right now and who would be your quarterback?

If you don't have an answer that speaks volumes.

What did the top 5-10 coaches all time do in their first year?

Reality is we were 2 Bledsoe picks 6's, a holding issue on a FG and a few coverage issues by Oy! Williams/Braie James from being 12-4 and possibly still playing.

I wouldnt have to keep talking if what I wrote in the first place would ever sink in with you.

For the umpteenth time all I said was is that since the premise in this thread is Wade as HC, JG is OC and Bowles as DC, we'd have a HC that never amounted to alot in that role, 2 coordinators who've never been coordinators before, and an unproven QB.

If my concern is that all 4 of those segments are weak/unproven compared to other upper end teams who have at least *something* decidedly proven in at least 1 of those 4 segments.. (just 1.. not all 4), well I guess I wouldnt be able to make that very simple comment if Wade was our DC instead of our HC. Because he is one of the better DC's out there. He's proven that over a number of years.

And no, him being the HC isnt "close enough" because theres a big difference between being a really good DC and being a really good HC.

I dont know how much more clear I can make it. But if you wanna come back and infer I said that we need 53 studs and 3 HoF coaches, be my guest.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
dbair1967;1340553 said:
I still think it'll be Norv instead of Wade...but agree on JG and Bowles

I think Norv will get the nod because at the end of the day, Jones will probably decide he cant take a chance and not have Romo develop to fullest.

I do think that whether its Wade or Norv, people are going to be quite surprised at the results (positive) for 2007

David

I believe this too. The purge of Tuna and the creation of more dynamics at the top coaching level is going to be a major positive. Though some, mainly one or two people, think I am a fool for thinking we go to the playoffs in 07 and possibly win a playoff game. It's going to happen. Ms. Cleo told me so. ;)