OPINION: Phillips HC/JG as OC/Bowles as DC...

AbeBeta

Reaction score
theogt;1340651 said:
I think there's a very good chance one of them comes over. One gets the SD DC job and the other gets the Dallas DC job. It makes sense to allow him to at least put his guys on defense, since that's apparently not happening on offense.

I worry that SD might not want to let either of them get away -- keep in mind that Cam Cameron left and wasn't able to take any of his guys.

DipChit

Reaction score
The Realist;1340603 said:
The present - O finished 4th. JG/Sparano good combo. Look what Phillips did with SD's D. We need that now.

I suppose.. but it still sounds like a weak staff to me when it comes to guys that have proven anything in their specific roles.

Look at the teams that made it to the final 8. With the exception of the Saints I guess, all the rest had either stout HC's or at least one really good coordinator.. or both. Saints too if we wanna annoit Payton already.

Maybe you could exclude Indy too depending on what you think of Dungy and his staff. But whether it was that team or the Saints if nothing else there you could fall back on having a couple of the better QB's going.

With a staff like we'd have, and Romo still at this stage, we'd have question marks in all 4 of those areas. HC, DC, OC and QB.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
WV Cowboy;1340669 said:
Whoever the next guy is that comes in to work with Romo, I hope they take the positive approach and attempt to build him up, instead of constantly attempting to tear him down.

That may have worked in the olden days, but I don't think today's athletes respond to that myself.

Gotta remember these kids have grown up where everyone plays equal time, .. everyone gets a trophy, .. you always "did good today", .. 2nd place is good too, .. let's celebrate with ice cream.

I have watched it happen and am seeing the results everywhere.

You can hold off on the "annointing oil" without dwelling only on the "warts".

I just think humans respond better with positive reinforcement instead of negative.

it depends, Romo is a competitive person, and most competitive people rise to challenges, that's how Romo made it as far as he has, "you're not big enough", "you're too slow", players that are as competitive and confident as Romo don't need constant pats on the back

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
summerisfunner;1340683 said:
it depends, Romo is a competitive person, and most competitive people rise to challenges, that's how Romo made it as far as he has, "you're not big enough", "you're too slow", players that are as competitive and confident as Romo don't need constant pats on the back

I agree that he doesn't need pats on the back, but it only builds confidence if someone is pulling for you instead of pushing you down.

My only point is positive is better than negative.

Some may not agree.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
abersonc;1340652 said:
Of course, we've also had tons of trouble finding a pass rusher since Haley left.....

I think that issue has been more of who's doing the coaching than the players...Ware can rush the passer...Ellis can rush the passer...Ekuban had pass rush skills and has been decent since he left...even Kavika Pittman got 8 sacks one yr after he left..Carpenter looks like he is gonna be a good blitzer...Hatcher has pass rush skills...Spears had 15 sacks in his last two yrs at LSU

jsut not having Zimmer around as DC should improve the pass rush

David

The Realist

Reaction score
DipChit;1340680 said:
I suppose.. but it still sounds like a weak staff to me when it comes to guys that have proven anything in their specific roles.

Look at the teams that made it to the final 8. With the exception of the Saints I guess, all the rest had either stout HC's or at least one really good coordinator.. or both. Saints too if we wanna annoit Payton already.

Maybe you could exclude Indy too depending on what you think of Dungy and his staff. But whether it was that team or the Saints if nothing else there you could fall back on having a couple of the better QB's going.

With a staff like we'd have, and Romo still at this stage, we'd have question marks in all 4 of those areas. HC, DC, OC and QB.

The final 8's staff being strong or weak depends on who you ask.

Name the coordinators in SEA, CHI, NE, IND........?

AbeBeta

Reaction score
dbair1967;1340701 said:
jsut not having Zimmer around as DC should improve the pass rush

David

Just when I thought I could have an intelligent exchange.....

ddh33

Reaction score
And what you have is more evidence of how underrated the hiring of Garrett was.

In Jerry's mind, he has a guy who will develop Romo the right way and get the most out of him. Now, he doesn't have to worry about hiring an offensive guy. He can pick the guy he feels most comfortable with - the guy who he thinks an do the most good, be it Phillips, Norv, or anyone else.

DipChit

Reaction score
The Realist;1340702 said:
The final 8's staff being strong or weak depends on who you ask.

Name the coordinators in SEA, CHI, NE, IND........?

Uh, I said.... at least 1 good coordinator *or* HC's

So ..

SEA: Holmgren (who might as well be his own OC anyway)

Bears: Lovie or Rivera DC take your pick

NE: Bill B.

Philly: Jim Johnson DC even if one doesnt like Reid

SD: Phillips DC even if one doesnt like Marty

Balt: Ryan DC

Saints/Indy: gave caveats about thier staffs.. some might think highly of Dungy/Payton some may not..... but got the decidedly proven QB's if nothing else.

The Realist

Reaction score
DipChit;1340731 said:
Uh, I said.... at least 1 good coordinator *or* HC's

So ..

SEA: Holmgren (who might as well be his own OC anyway)

Bears: Lovie or Rivera DC take your pick

NE: Bill B.

Philly: Jim Johnson DC even if one doesnt like Reid

SD: Phillips DC even if one doesnt like Marty

Balt: Ryan DC

Saints/Indy: gave caveats about thier staffs.. but got the decidedly proven QB's if nothing else.

Good.....so we hire Phillips and we're set on D + how do we know Bowles isn't the next Rivera?

Grossman vs Romo.

Tough call.

Multiple teams wanted Sparano.

visionary

Reaction score
WV Cowboy;1340699 said:
I agree that he doesn't need pats on the back, but it only builds confidence if someone is pulling for you instead of pushing you down.

My only point is positive is better than negative.

Some may not agree.

studies have consistently shown that positive reinforcement is better than negative reinforcement. people use negative reinforcement more because it comes more 'naturally' ie we tend to be critical when things are going poorly but are not as effusive in praise when someone does a good job. human nature.

DipChit

Reaction score
The Realist;1340743 said:
Good.....so we hire Phillips and we're set on D + how do we know Bowles isn't the next Rivera?

Grossman vs Romo.

Tough call.

Multiple teams wanted Sparano.

Well Wade as HC is a question mark right off the bat as HC's go.

Whoever the DC is going to be is going to be a question mark as DC's go.

Sparano was doing OC by committee which means I have no idea how good he really is.... and most of the committee will be gone Haley/Palmer/BP.

And Romo is far from proven over the long haul.

That makes all 4 slots unproven in my mind.

If it doesnt in yours, and/or you think it'll all mesh together nicely regardless, thats cool.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
abersonc;1340715 said:
Just when I thought I could have an intelligent exchange.....

do you evidence to show otherwise? he WAS the DC for 3yrs before Parcells got here, and we never had a pass rush then either

Wade Phillips makes double digit sackers out of guys like Steve Foley and Shaun Phillips, why couslnt our coaches? Is Aaron Campman the reincarnate of Reggie White?

At some point when something happens YEAR AFTER YEAR, you start to look for whats been the common denominator

David

AbeBeta

Reaction score
dbair1967;1340776 said:
At some point when something happens YEAR AFTER YEAR, you start to look for whats been the common denominator

David

Gee could it be crappy drafting?

AbeBeta

Reaction score
visionary;1340764 said:
studies have consistently shown that positive reinforcement is better than negative reinforcement. people use negative reinforcement more because it comes more 'naturally' ie we tend to be critical when things are going poorly but are not as effusive in praise when someone does a good job. human nature.

A huge part of that is how people perceive the critical comments -- some folks see criticism as helpful because it allows them to improve -- meaning that to those people it is a positive -- in fact, some players might be very pleased that a master coach is taking the time to be so critical of their work.

Others are thin-skinned and can't take criticism and see it as a negative.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
abersonc;1340678 said:
I worry that SD might not want to let either of them get away -- keep in mind that Cam Cameron left and wasn't able to take any of his guys.
Well, technically they couldn't prevent either from leaving. They could get into a bidding war, I guess, but that seems unreasonable to not let a coach take at least 1 of his guys with him to a new HC gig.

visionary

Reaction score
abersonc;1340794 said:
A huge part of that is how people perceive the critical comments -- some folks see criticism as helpful because it allows them to improve -- meaning that to those people it is a positive -- in fact, some players might be very pleased that a master coach is taking the time to be so critical of their work.

Others are thin-skinned and can't take criticism and see it as a negative.

agreed

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
abersonc;1340794 said:
in fact, some players might be very pleased that a master coach is taking the time to be so critical of their work.

You're right, some might, .. so you better make sure the kid you are talking to is one of those rare kids.

Otherwise, we always would use what we called the, "positive-corrective-positive" sandwich.

Say something small that was positive about what the player had done, then get to the corrective "meat" of what you were wanting to coach him on or wanted him to improve on, and then share the positive again.

Always insinuating that you had confidence in him, and that you knew he could do it or get it right if he worked at it.

Negative negative negative gets old, it's human nature to tune that out.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
WV Cowboy;1340830 said:
You're right, some might, .. so you better make sure the kid you are talking to is one of those rare kids.

Otherwise, we always would use what we called the, "positive-corrective-positive" sandwich.

Say something small that was positive about what the player had done, then get to the corrective "meat" of what you were wanting to coach him on or wanted him to improve on, and then share the positive again.

Always insinuating that you had confidence in him, and that you knew he could do it or get it right if he worked at it.

Negative negative negative gets old, it's human nature to tune that out.

in practice you could hear BP screaming 'atta boy' constantly, and that's not even accouting for the 1-on-1 time, BP isn't straight negative guys, he just knows how to push buttons, and it varies for certain players

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
abersonc;1340781 said:
Gee could it be crappy drafting?

it could be some of it...but other teams figure out how to rush the passer and dont always have elite players up front

we have alot of highly regarded guys on this defense now...guys that made a ton of plays in college...when the same thing happens every yr despite new players, new scheme, new opponents, but ONE thing is constant...you dont exactly have to be a rocket scientist, ya know?

David