Opinion: Sorry to say this: TNEW probably out 6-8 wks...

newlander

Reaction score
For the life of me I don't know why they say this guy will be out only 4 weeks with this sports hernia injury that needed surgery. I know alot of hockey players get it and are out 6-8 weeks. Donovan McNabb had it: ended his season. Ian Kinsler of the Rangers had one in the middle of August: done for the season. Look, I don't mean to pile on when the only piece of good news this team has had this week was the RW trade, BUT I'll attach this Wikipedia info. to back up my point gents: this is a 2 month deal typically.(see last sentence of the Wiki piece I cut and pasted) We should add a vet CB asap IMO because it's very likely he won't be back until sometime in December.:(

How is a sports hernia diagnosed?
There are no diagnostic tests that can be used to detect a sports hernia. The diagnosis is made by the patient's history and physical examination. Your physician may perform tests to rule out other causes of groin pain.
What is the treatment of a sports hernia?
There are no treatments that have been shown to be effective for sports hernia other than surgery. That said, the initial treatment of a sports hernia is always conservative in hopes that the symptoms will resolve. Resting from activity, anti-inflammatory medications, ice treatments, and physical therapy can all be tried in an effort to alleviate the patient's symptoms. If these measures do not relieve the symptoms of a sports hernia, surgery may be recommended to repair the weakened area of the abdominal wall. In number of studies have shown between 65% and 90% of athletes are able to return to their activity after surgery for a sports hernia. Rehabilitation from surgery for a sports hernia usually takes about eight weeks

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Well, at least we'll have him for the playoffs.
Tender mercies and all that. But I believe the more optimistic prediction of 4-6 weeks.

I am not a doctor, but I once dreamed I was.
I would say that with surgery/rehab and some daily lotus exercises, he can recover with the 4-6 time frame.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
Yea lets go add a vet CB

Of course we all know that there is a pool in the middle of the NFL with NFL Vet's just waiting to be chosen.

Thank you for informing of our need for a Vet CB, i will be sure to foward this to Jerry Jones, so he can get right on visting this all powerful pool

Cowboys22

Reaction score
I thought it was reported that it wasn't a sports hernia but a small groin tear that needed surgery. Seems to me that was what was reported on the day of the surgery.

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Shockey played the 1st of the season and was diag. with the same thing, and their expecting him back this week. That would have been 4-5 weeks.

The Dr.'s already said after the operation, that it went better than expected and was not as severe as they had thought.

He'll be back after the bye week. Book it!! :D

newlander

Reaction score
Don't shoot the messenger donkeykong. Just simply pointing out this guy will be gone for 2 months. LOTS of posts saying he'll be back in 4 weeks: no way, no how. I know there aren't alot of vet CB's but their are servicable guys out there to back up Jenkins and Scandrick. Give them some good tips and step in if they get hurt. If it wasn't a sports hernia: then my bad.I was under the impression it was. Still think they should sign a vet IF POSSIBLE.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
They just said monday that he'd be out about 4 weeks from last Friday. So he'll be back after the bye.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
dargonking999;2342801 said:
Yea lets go add a vet CB

Of course we all know that there is a pool in the middle of the NFL with NFL Vet's just waiting to be chosen.

Thank you for informing of our need for a Vet CB, i will be sure to foward this to Jerry Jones, so he can get right on visting this all powerful pool

wow you two guys have good connections. say hi to jerra and tell him I am his biggest fan.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Cowboys22;2342804 said:
I thought it was reported that it wasn't a sports hernia but a small groin tear that needed surgery. Seems to me that was what was reported on the day of the surgery.

Correct... I don't know why there was a report with the Pacman news yesterday that it was a sports hernia. Probably just lazy reporting.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
newlander;2342812 said:
Don't shoot the messenger donkeykong. Just simply pointing out this guy will be gone for 2 months. LOTS of posts saying he'll be back in 4 weeks: no way, no how. I know there aren't alot of vet CB's but their are servicable guys out there to back up Jenkins and Scandrick. Give them some good tips and step in if they get hurt. If it wasn't a sports hernia: then my bad.I was under the impression it was. Still think they should sign a vet IF POSSIBLE.

First before you start trying to act like the innocent bystander, you might wanna try using my actual name, not some pathetic attempt at a derogatory dig.

Second before you come in trying to fix our sense of when T-new will be out you might wanna get the injury right. Newman did not have a hernia, rather a tear in his groin.

Third, if you’re going to make such a silly statement as we need to get a vet CB asap, without understanding that there is no Vet CB on the market better than what we have the roster, and that since the Trading deadline has now passed the likelihood of getting one is all but gone.

4th even if he was gone for two months, that still leaves him returning for the end of the season and playoffs, which would be a waste of money to sign a vet CB just to play for 7 games.

You want someone to respond to you nicely, then you might wanna start thread that doesn’t show your obvious lack of knowledge.

Edit: BTW the injury ended Mcnabb's season mainly, because he had it late in the season, and he also had to rectify his groin injury as well. Again misinformation is not going to get you responses you desire

Aven8

Reaction score
newlander;2342792 said:
For the life of me I don't know why they say this guy will be out only 4 weeks with this sports hernia injury that needed surgery. I know alot of hockey players get it and are out 6-8 weeks. Donovan McNabb had it: ended his season. Ian Kinsler of the Rangers had one in the middle of August: done for the season. Look, I don't mean to pile on when the only piece of good news this team has had this week was the RW trade, BUT I'll attach this Wikipedia info. to back up my point gents: this is a 2 month deal typically.(see last sentence of the Wiki piece I cut and pasted) We should add a vet CB asap IMO because it's very likely he won't be back until sometime in December.:(

How is a sports hernia diagnosed?
There are no diagnostic tests that can be used to detect a sports hernia. The diagnosis is made by the patient's history and physical examination. Your physician may perform tests to rule out other causes of groin pain.
What is the treatment of a sports hernia?
There are no treatments that have been shown to be effective for sports hernia other than surgery. That said, the initial treatment of a sports hernia is always conservative in hopes that the symptoms will resolve. Resting from activity, anti-inflammatory medications, ice treatments, and physical therapy can all be tried in an effort to alleviate the patient's symptoms. If these measures do not relieve the symptoms of a sports hernia, surgery may be recommended to repair the weakened area of the abdominal wall. In number of studies have shown between 65% and 90% of athletes are able to return to their activity after surgery for a sports hernia. Rehabilitation from surgery for a sports hernia usually takes about eight weeks

GROIN SURGERY FOR NEWMAN

Posted by Mike Florio on October 10, 2008, 9:47 p.m. EDT
Cowboys cornerback Terence Newman underwent groin surgery on Friday and will miss roughly a month, according to Adam Schefter of NFL Network.
Specifically, doctors repaired a tear in Newman’s groin muscle.
It apparently wasn’t full-blown hernia surgery, which would have knocked him out for six to eight weeks.
The absence of Newman makes the presence of Pacman Jones even more important to the Cowboys. The stakes are now raised considerably as to the question of whether the NFL takes action in light of his recent fight with one of the men hired by the Cowboys to keep him out of fights.

Case closed......next question.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
I'm guessing that the world's foremost surgeon for these types of injuries -- the same guy who actually operated on Newman and knows exactly what types of procedures were performed -- knows more about how long it will take him to recover than about.com does.

newlander

Reaction score
We'll do donkeydong. My money is on a December return; "groin tear" or not.

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
Burgundy&Gold;2342811 said:

Is this one of your want ads? You may want to try putting this on a DC bathroom wall instead.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
newlander;2342838 said:
We'll do donkeydong. My money is on December; "groin tear" or not.

well since you obviously don't comprehend calling me my by username. My money is you joining my ignore list.

So sorry to say, your December prediction really kind of won't matter to me.

Plumfool

Reaction score
Bach;2342840 said:
Is this one of your want ads? You may want to try putting this on a DC bathroom wall instead.

thats just plain funny:lmao:

newlander

Reaction score
Fair enough DK: just checked your "sites" out. Nice work.(insert sarcasm)