Opinion: Sorry to say this: TNEW probably out 6-8 wks...

joseephuss

Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;2342821 said:
TNew has the best doctors

Does he? There were doctors that did not catch this when he was first hurt in early training camp. Perhaps if they had made the correct diagnosis back then he could have had surgery at that time and now be back and fully healthy.

Neman, Hurd, Spencer and Kosier have all been injured, came back to play and then aggravated the same injuries causing more missed time. Which doctors are making these decisions? Their current track record is suspect.

Doctor32

Hi-Definition Warrior
Reaction score
There is a degree of severity involved with Sports Hernia. Its hard to cut & paste verbiage from WebMD.com and make a blanket statement that all Sport Hernia surgeries require 6 to 8 weeks recovery and healing.

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
Burgundy&Gold;2342811 said:
assume:

*** u me

are you saying we dont make the playoffs or he doesn't come back for them?

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
the kid 05;2342874 said:
are you saying we dont make the playoffs or he doesn't come back for them?

I took it to mean that he was making a pass at one or more of the Posters on the Board.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
newlander;2342838 said:
We'll do donkeydong. My money is on a December return; "groin tear" or not.

Could you just agree to not post your 'expert' medical knowledge anymore after you're proven wrong?

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
AdamJT13;2342835 said:
I'm guessing that the world's foremost surgeon for these types of injuries -- the same guy who actually operated on Newman and knows exactly what types of procedures were performed -- knows more about how long it will take him to recover than about.com does.

Worse, I might give about.com more credence than Wiki site he had quoted, lol.

juck

Reaction score
I think he will be back by Thanksgiving at full strength,hopefully its not too late by then to matter.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
dargonking999;2342801 said:
Yea lets go add a vet CB

Of course we all know that there is a pool in the middle of the NFL with NFL Vet's just waiting to be chosen.

Thank you for informing of our need for a Vet CB, i will be sure to foward this to Jerry Jones, so he can get right on visting this all powerful pool

:clap2:

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
AdamJT13;2342835 said:
I'm guessing that the world's foremost surgeon for these types of injuries -- the same guy who actually operated on Newman and knows exactly what types of procedures were performed -- knows more about how long it will take him to recover than about.com does.

The surgeon's estimate means absolutely nothing. He can say 3 weeks and he wouldn't be held accountable for that because several variables can affect the outcome so surgeons tend to underestimate how quickly players return from these injuries for business reasons. If he said he would return in 8-10 weeks, another surgeon will promise a quicker recovery time and guess where the patient is going. Not only am I a physician, I've assisted on this exact procedure. The truth is the surgeon doesn't really know because it depends on several variables that he isn't aware of until he operates and sees it directly in the OR. Surgeons provide these estimates based on clinical signs, MRI and CT results. They are not held accountable for their return date because as just mentioned, several variables can alter the return time and he won't know that until he or she performs the procedure and follows up with the patient because are there are post-operative complications such as infection and the patient's own ability to heal.

Based on my personal experience, for a cornerback or a receiver to be 100%, it's going to take much longer 4 weeks. And to be honest, I don't think he will be 100% this season, even in January. You have to understand that cornerbacks put an incredible amount of stress on that muscle because they sprint on every snap. He will play but you will see that he won't be the same this season. I'm not suggesting he can't suit up in 4 weeks but he won't be the same.

joseephuss

Reaction score
mr.jameswoods;2343042 said:
The surgeon's estimate means absolutely nothing. He can say 3 weeks and he wouldn't be held accountable for that because several variables can affect the outcome so surgeons tend to underestimate how quickly players return from these injuries for business reasons. If he said he would return in 8-10 weeks, another surgeon will promise a quicker recovery time and guess where the patient is going. Not only am I a physician, I've assisted on this exact procedure. The truth is the surgeon doesn't really know because it depends on several variables that he isn't aware of until he operates and sees it directly in the OR. Surgeons provide these estimates based on clinical signs, MRI and CT results. They are not held accountable for their return date because as just mentioned, several variables can alter the return time and he won't know that until he or she performs the procedure and follows up with the patient because are there are post-operative complications such as infection and the patient's own ability to heal.

Based on my personal experience, for a cornerback or a receiver to be 100%, it's going to take much longer 4 weeks. And to be honest, I don't think he will be 100% this season, even in January. You have to understand that cornerbacks put an incredible amount of stress on that muscle because they sprint on every snap. He will play but you will see that he won't be the same this season. I'm not suggesting he can't suit up in 4 weeks but he won't be the same.

Isn't sprinting the easiest part? I would think that twisting, turning and changing directions is more difficult with this type of injury.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
joseephuss;2343058 said:
Isn't sprinting the easiest part? I would think that twisting, turning and changing directions is more difficult with this type of injury.

He would have significant pain starting his sprint in addition to experiencing pain changing direction.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
AdamJT13;2342835 said:

:clap: :clap: :clap:

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
It was not a hernia. It was a tear in the groin muscle. Those are totally different procedures and not related.

The estimate is very reasonable. Unless there is a complication then he will be back in the 4 week range. In ten days the tissue has 90% of the original strength.

There is no need to fight over this. The OP is confused by what the media is saying. To a lay person the groin area is all the same. Not to the surgeon.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
jobberone;2343087 said:
It was not a hernia. It was a tear in the groin muscle. Those are totally different procedures and not related.

The estimate is very reasonable. Unless there is a complication then he will be back in the 4 week range. In ten days the tissue has 90% of the original strength.

There is no need to fight over this. The OP is confused by what the media is saying. To a lay person the groin area is all the same. Not to the surgeon.

It depends on your expectations. For a cornerback, there is no way he will be close to 100% in 4 weeks and you can quote me on that even with no complications.

joseephuss

Reaction score
mr.jameswoods;2343126 said:
It depends on your expectations. For a cornerback, there is no way he will be close to 100% in 4 weeks and you can quote me on that even with no complications.

I would be happy with 8 weeks. That would mean he could play in the final 3 regular season games and then the playoffs.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
mr.jameswoods;2343126 said:

Newman at 85-90% will be better than 95% of the other corners in the league.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
joseephuss;2343058 said:
Isn't sprinting the easiest part? I would think that twisting, turning,

His Groin Region's Burning, He's Going to Hurl.....

red_hot_chili_peppers.jpg