Opinion: Sorry to say this: TNEW probably out 6-8 wks...

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I realize its bag on newlander time but its not as if Newman has been dealing well with injuries the last couple of years.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
joseephuss;2343138 said:
I would be happy with 8 weeks. That would mean he could play in the final 3 regular season games and then the playoffs.

I would be content if he can return to 100% at any point this season. These injuries are very tender and there is risk of reinjuring it. Of course, it depends on the particular muscle injured and the degree of the tear.

Skin

Reaction score
mr.jameswoods;2343327 said:
I would be content if he can return to 100% at any point this season. These injuries are very tender and there is risk of reinjuring it. Of course, it depends on the particular muscle injured and the degree of the tear.

You are 100% correct that recovery from these injuries depends on the muscle injured and the degree of tear, which makes your speculation worthless, since you don't know the details. As far as I know being a physician does not make you omniscient. I have no idea when he will return nor do you.

Regardless, T-New is going to get his own line of Waterford crystal if he keeps this up.

BLEU3ASY

Reaction score
newlander;2342792 said:
For the life of me I don't know why they say this guy will be out only 4 weeks with this sports hernia injury that needed surgery. I know alot of hockey players get it and are out 6-8 weeks. Donovan McNabb had it: ended his season. Ian Kinsler of the Rangers had one in the middle of August: done for the season. Look, I don't mean to pile on when the only piece of good news this team has had this week was the RW trade, BUT I'll attach this Wikipedia info. to back up my point gents: this is a 2 month deal typically.(see last sentence of the Wiki piece I cut and pasted) We should add a vet CB asap IMO because it's very likely he won't be back until sometime in December.:(

How is a sports hernia diagnosed?
There are no diagnostic tests that can be used to detect a sports hernia. The diagnosis is made by the patient's history and physical examination. Your physician may perform tests to rule out other causes of groin pain.
What is the treatment of a sports hernia?
There are no treatments that have been shown to be effective for sports hernia other than surgery. That said, the initial treatment of a sports hernia is always conservative in hopes that the symptoms will resolve. Resting from activity, anti-inflammatory medications, ice treatments, and physical therapy can all be tried in an effort to alleviate the patient's symptoms. If these measures do not relieve the symptoms of a sports hernia, surgery may be recommended to repair the weakened area of the abdominal wall. In number of studies have shown between 65% and 90% of athletes are able to return to their activity after surgery for a sports hernia. Rehabilitation from surgery for a sports hernia usually takes about eight weeks

it ended up not being a sports herina...

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
mr.jameswoods;2343126 said:
It depends on your expectations. For a cornerback, there is no way he will be close to 100% in 4 weeks and you can quote me on that even with no complications.

Sorry but that's not true. It is true that the procedure is not completely reliable and that area could be the source of recurrent injury. In two weeks you'll have close to 95% of normal strength. My guess is there's enough mesh in there that it will need time to adhere and encapsulate.

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
Don't know much about them really. But I do know that if I use Wiki in a paper or anything I'll get torched. Not always the best source really.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Skin;2343400 said:
You are 100% correct that recovery from these injuries depends on the muscle injured and the degree of tear, which makes your speculation worthless, since you don't know the details. As far as I know being a physician does not make you omniscient. I have no idea when he will return nor do you.

Regardless, T-New is going to get his own line of Waterford crystal if he keeps this up.

No one can predict the future but after many cases like that you get a feel for it. And then there's the literature to support you as well.

True, you can look at it like an educated guess but it's well charted waters and generally you'll be right on with 3-4 weeks. That's assuming it was as small as the surgeon reported and it went well which means it was easy, small and there wasn't a lot of bleeding and injury of tissue.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
jobberone;2344154 said:
Sorry but that's not true. It is true that the procedure is not completely reliable and that area could be the source of recurrent injury. In two weeks you'll have close to 95% of normal strength. My guess is there's enough mesh in there that it will need time to adhere and encapsulate.

Are you a doctor?

And don't tell me you stayed at a Holiday Inn because that doesn't count. ;)