Opinions about Flo and available OT's

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
I was just looking at some of the veteran OT's available in FA. I can't see Dallas allowing a unproven rookie or 2nd year player protecting Romo's blind side. Now if they do let Flo walk there are some interesting names out there but how much do you think Dallas would save and improve with these guys or are you ok with who we have waiting in the wings?

Jordan Gross UFA Carolina

Max Starks UFA Pittsburgh (took over the LT spot when Marvel Smith was hurt and really proved he could take his game to the next level. A rising star who has only scratched the surface)

Travelle Wharton UFA Carolina (this is a name that peaks my interest. He is only 26 years old and really started coming into his own as a LT before suffering a knee injury last year. Would come much cheaper then Adams or the prior mentioned OT's)

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
HomeOfLegends;1928286 said:
I was just looking at some of the veteran OT's available in FA. I can't see Dallas allowing a unproven rookie or 2nd year player protecting Romo's blind side. Now if they do let Flo walk there are some interesting names out there but how much do you think Dallas would save and improve with these guys or are you ok with who we have waiting in the wings?

Max Starks UFA Pittsburgh (took over the LT spot when Marvel Smith was hurt and really proved he could take his game to the next level. A rising star who has only scratched the surface)

Travelle Wharton UFA Carolina (this is a name that peaks my interest. He is only 26 years old and really started coming into his own as a LT before suffering a knee injury last year. Would come much cheaper then Adams or the prior mentioned OT's)
If Flo would accept a reasonable deal we should sign him.

Other than that I would take my chances with a guy like Wharton.

IronCowboy

Benched
Reaction score
Barry Richardson, Cherlius, Otah, Chris Williams, Oniel Cousins, Clady.

TONS of options in the draft. No need to blow money and overpay on a LT when we can get a great one in the draft.

cowboysfan31

Reaction score
Gross and Starks are both true RT's IMO. I'd be interested in Wharton if the price was right though.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
IronCowboy;1928319 said:
Barry Richardson, Cherlius, Otah, Chris Williams, Oniel Cousins, Clady.

TONS of options in the draft. No need to blow money and overpay on a LT when we can get a great one in the draft.
no way we have a shot at Clady. Other than that it's hardly a guarantee the guy we draft will be great. He could be another Flo, he could be Jacob Rogers.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Has anyone seen McQ play this year aside from special teams? Preseason? He's going into his 3rd year here. Not saying he's the answer but what's his story? Full time back up and nothing more?

cowboysfan31

Reaction score
ELDudearino;1928382 said:
Has anyone seen McQ play this year aside from special teams? Preseason? He's going into his 3rd year here. Not saying he's the answer but what's his story? Full time back up and nothing more?

I believe the Cowboys were wanting to move him inside to G, but injuries during training camp forced him to stay at OT. Drafting both Marten and Free last year was probably an indication of the organization's view of him as an OT.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score

With Hudson Houck back in charge of the offensive line, I don't know if Wharton or Gross has the kind of size he likes... but Starks might be a good fit... I like that he's only 25...

Really, though, if I was gonna raid the Steelers' roster for offensive linemen, I think I'd go for big ol' Chris Kemoeatu to play guard... another intriguing option (to me) is Floyd "Pork Chop" Womack from Seattle, who can play either guard or tackle...

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
ELDudearino;1928382 said:

Hey, don't be surprised if Dallas re-signs Flo and moves Pat McQuistain at LG to take over for Kossier. With Hudson Houck back as OL coach I could see this move. I also see Dallas going back to an I-formation backfield set, by bringing back the true-fullback position as a lead-blocker for Barber (with Deon Anderson in a Moose Johnston type role). So I predict there will be much more emphasis on a power-running game in 2008, and this would justify OL moves like re-signing Flo and upgrading the OL with McQuistain's size.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Wharton sucks. The Panthers want to find someone else who can come in at LT and produce.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
silverbear;1928459 said:
With Hudson Houck back in charge of the offensive line, I don't know if Wharton or Gross has the kind of size he likes... but Starks might be a good fit... I like that he's only 25...

Really, though, if I was gonna raid the Steelers' roster for offensive linemen, I think I'd go for big ol' Chris Kemoeatu to play guard... another intriguing option (to me) is Floyd "Pork Chop" Womack from Seattle, who can play either guard or tackle...

Both Seattle and Pittsburgh are going to have issues along the OL. If I correct both of them have 3 of 5 starters who are FA's this year.

rw54

Reaction score
I would like to see Flo resigned. If that proves to be too expensive, I would move Columbo to left tackle and let Free, McQ, and Marten battle it out for RT. Davis could help the new guy. Columbo is a vet and I think would do a better job than a rookie or one of our young guys at LT. I would also use a second round pick on an OT like Carl Nicks from Nebraska. Depending on Coumbo's performance and price, eventually I would like to see a line consisting of some combination of 5 of the 7: Columbo, Free, McQ, Gurode, Davis, Nicks and Marten.

MetalHead

Benched
Reaction score
Vintage;1928505 said:
Wharton sucks. The Panthers want to find someone else who can come in at LT and produce.

Agreed.
I'd keep Flo instead of going after any of those 3.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
rw54;1928624 said:
I would like to see Flo resigned. If that proves to be too expensive, I would move Columbo to left tackle and let Free, McQ, and Marten battle it out for RT. Davis could help the new guy. Columbo is a vet and I think would do a better job than a rookie or one of our young guys at LT. I would also use a second round pick on an OT like Carl Nicks from Nebraska. Depending on Coumbo's performance and price, eventually I would like to see a line consisting of some combination of 5 of the 7: Columbo, Free, McQ, Gurode, Davis, Nicks and Marten.

Don't think Colombo has the footwork needed for a LT.

Mansta54

Reaction score
Flo isn't going anywhere. JJ is no fool and knows he needs him protecting Romo back.. Flo will be here!!!!

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mansta54;1928638 said:
Flo isn't going anywhere. JJ is no fool and knows he needs him protecting Romo back.. Flo will be here!!!!

Yeah he did a great job during the playoff game.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score

Flo is better than all of them at left tackle.

Gross is a good right tackle. They tried to move him to left tackle in 2004 and it was a flop. Starks had a restriction put on him by the Steelers last year to keep him in town and then lost his job to Willie Colon. He's not athletic enough to be a left tackle. He's another right tackle.

Wharton is decent, but Flo is better and I guess I'm just not into getting Wharton when Doug Free may be a year or two away and we can have Flozell.

YAKUZA