Opinions of New SUVs

rags747

Reaction score
Bronco will ride like a truck, great for off-roading though. I would do a new Jeep Grand Cherokee, class leading suv. Great ride and quiet!

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
Bronco will ride like a truck, great for off-roading though. I would do a new Jeep Grand Cherokee, class leading suv. Great ride and quiet!
I had a 2001 Grand Cherokee with the strait 6 Got treble gas mileage Ran and rode great Are they better on mpg now?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Thanks for the thoughts everyone. I should have added, I live in suburban NJ so I won't do much off-roading. I do prefer a trucky feel to the crossover look and feel. I use my Jeep as a utility vehicle (hauling stuff and pulling the occasional small tree stump) but also as my primary car to drive. I have done some long distance driving so I don't want to go too trucky.

The Bronco seems to fit in more with my driving needs for the most part, at least the models that are not completely off-road ready. But I have read some negative reviews about build quality. I have read reviews about the 4Runner being kind of sparse inside but everyone who owns one loves it for its build quality and durability. I just think they are a bit pricey. I once owned a Ford Explorer, but that is a vehicle that has really moved closer to the cross-over realm. Do they even make one without the 3rd row seating?

As for the used vs new argument, I don't know how it is everywhere else, but around here used cars are extremely pricey right now due to lack of inventory. It is so bad I have dealers texting me asking how much will it take for me to sell them my Jeep! I understand some new models are going for over sticker price as well, but I will avoid that even if it means keeping my Jeep another year or two.
I was hoping the prices would have gone down by now, but it almost seems as though they realized people need cars, and many are willing to buy one at any price...so I don't know if the prices are ever going back down.

Creeper

Reaction score

The only problem I have with getting another Jeep is the dealer near me is the worst. Their service department is about as bad as one can imagine. There is a Ford dealer just a couple of miles from my house with a good reputation which is why I would consider a Ford.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How about this Bentley Bentayga for only 250K loaded. However, if you need the cargo space, I'd go Ford.

I have actually seen this as well as the Rolls Cullinan at 350K where I live and in both cases, they were being driven by 90 year old men.

2023-bentley-bentayga-carbuzz-992912.jpg

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Ford Broncos are incredible looking. If you look at them, make sure to get the 3.5 Ecoboost. The 2.7 motors are having major valvetrain problems, so much so, Ford might be forced to issue a recall on that motor. Just an FYI.

Here is one out of left field for you, and I am sure some will scoff at this, but I'm just throwing it out there: Kia Sorrento.

We needed something a little bigger for my wife than her Mazda so she could tow our jetskis. We went around, primarily focusing on finding a Ford Explorer. Between the Ford inventory being depleted, and some prices nearing $70k (for an Explorer!!) we started looking at other things. The Chevy Blazer was OK, but I cannot stand Chevy interiors. So, we continued on looking, and while driving down the road the wife says to me, "What's that??!". I look over and have no idea what it is, but it does look sharp. We pull in and I realize it's a Kia. Even though I know Hyundai/Kia have come along way, I still am like "I don't know." Well, she tests drives it, and we both fell in love with it. It's sharp looking (IMO), has AWD, has a 2.5-liter turbo (has solid power), and is fully loaded. Absolutely packed with tech, full digital changeable gauges, lane assist, adaptive cruise control, BOSE stereo, turn signal cameras, automatic tailgate, full moonroof, just everything. They only had a couple left, so she snagged this one. It's been great for us and she loves it. I know most guys will say "I won't drive a Kia", but I am just saying it's a great mid-size SUV for the money. We drove off the lot with the X-Line model at right around $44k.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
Ford Broncos are incredible looking. If you look at them, make sure to get the 3.5 Ecoboost. The 2.7 motors are having major valvetrain problems, so much so, Ford might be forced to issue a recall on that motor. Just an FYI.

Here is one out of left field for you, and I am sure some will scoff at this, but I'm just throwing it out there: Kia Sorrento.

We needed something a little bigger for my wife than her Mazda so she could tow our jetskis. We went around, primarily focusing on finding a Ford Explorer. Between the Ford inventory being depleted, and some prices nearing $70k (for an Explorer!!) we started looking at other things. The Chevy Blazer was OK, but I cannot stand Chevy interiors. So, we continued on looking, and while driving down the road the wife says to me, "What's that??!". I look over and have no idea what it is, but it does look sharp. We pull in and I realize it's a Kia. Even though I know Hyundai/Kia have come along way, I still am like "I don't know." Well, she tests drives it, and we both fell in love with it. It's sharp looking (IMO), has AWD, has a 2.5-liter turbo (has solid power), and is fully loaded. Absolutely packed with tech, full digital changeable gauges, lane assist, adaptive cruise control, BOSE stereo, turn signal cameras, automatic tailgate, full moonroof, just everything. They only had a couple left, so she snagged this one. It's been great for us and she loves it. I know most guys will say "I won't drive a Kia", but I am just saying it's a great mid-size SUV for the money. We drove off the lot with the X-Line model at right around $44k.
Had a KIA Sorento was a great vehicle The luxury version is loaded and fast Several years back Kia hired an Audi engineer and said make up better he did gave um a kinda European look also

Last edited:

jrumann59

Reaction score
in todays market popular vehicles that are a couple of years used are priced stupidly high. For the difference in price at least buy new for now, longer warranty and you may not be inheriting someone else's problem or vehicle that may or my not have been properly maintained.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score

I’m going to plug this 16 minute review because I haven’t been in the new Bronco, but I trust these guys, and they seem to really like it. Specifically way more than a comparable Wrangler.

I do have a neighbor down the road that has the new Bronco, and he definitely has good things to say about it. He loves it and loves driving it at like 50 mph down our 25 mph street.

Those new Broncos look nice! They’ve come a long way from the OJ Getaway car.

I can’t back it up with much facts, but I have rented a lot of SUVs this year, and have two conclusions. As much as I want to like Jeeps, I don’t think I would buy one. And Hondas are by far the most surprisingly pleasant, even for big men.

I’m still a Ford Truck man and haven’t seen reason yet to change even though I get to test drive so many different cars.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Cannot go wrong with a 4Runner.

I had a 2007 that my dad gave me that I drove for 8-9 years before giving it to my mom (she’s still driving it). Has close to 300,000 miles on it with no major issues.

I bought a new 4Runner back in 2018 that I’m still driving. The 4.0 liter V6 which is in both vehicles is absolutely bulletproof. The drawback is that it’s only a 5 speed. You’re only going to get 17-20 MPGs max.

Resale value is probably the best in the car industry. They are finally going to retires h the design in 2024. Toyota is supposed to be going to a more powerful 4-cylinder turbo.

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
If you want an SUV that's almost impossible to run into the ground? 4 Runner. That 4.0L (1GR-FE) and transmission (A750) is one of the most bullet-proof combinations in the auto industry. Virtually bomb-proof, which is why it's been a mainstay with Toyota. Sure, not as fuel efficient as most modern SUVs, but you'll save money in the long run by not having it in the shop. Fully boxed frame, coil-sprung rear suspension, basic but very functional interior, made in Japan with great fit and finish.

Now, if I've got you interested in a 4-Runner, let me take you a step further into 4th-Dimensional option:

Lexus GX460.

Now, here me out. I know what you're thinking "What? 4-runner is a tough, offroad vehicle. Lexus is a soft, luxury SUV for yuppy soccer moms. Plus expensive".
First off, it's known as a Toyota Landcruiser Prado outside of the US and they're very common. Lexus decided to upgrade it and bring it to the US market as a Luxury SUV.
- They share the same chassis as the US 4-runner
- 4.6 V8 and 6-speed auto instead of the 4.0 V6 and 5-speed trans in the 4Runner. Now I talked about the 4.0L and 5-speed being bulletproof in the 4Runner, right? The 4.6 V8 in the GX is virtually the Million Mile Tundra engine but with a timing chain, not belt. The 6-speed transmission is the same as the Million-mile Tundras (I believe there are two of them). They're built to be under more load than what a GX will ever put them through.
- Leather interior
- Barn door style rear door
- KDSS (hydraulic swaybar system) is standard. Corners unusually flat for such a tall, heavy vehicle.

And...
You can get them used for the same or most times cheaper than a same year 4Runner. A $40-45K 4Runner new, will maybe depreciate $1-2K after 3 years. A $58-60K GX460 will depreciate ~$18K after 3 years (typically a leased vehicle).
Why do they depreciate harder than 4Runners? Because they're usually leased by yuppies. And people tend to shy away from used Lexus because they perceive them as expensive to maintain like other luxury vehicles like BMWs and Mercedes. If they only knew that they're just Toyotas mechanically, they'd change their mind. Their loss can be your gain. Toyota dealerships will service them for you as well, no need to go to a Lexus dealership.

So basically, you can pay ~$40K for a 3 year old 4Runner or ~$40K for a 3 year old V-8 version with leather interior and all of the bells and whistles (LED lights, power everything, etc).

Wife's 2018 GX460 Premium Sport Edition. Bought it last year with 31K miles for $41K. Actually was $37K out the door because of trade-in with our 2nd Gen Highlander (Toyota Tax is awesome when you're selling/trading in!).
IMG-2240.jpg

Next to my 2015 Tacoma TRD Offroad (4.0L and 5-speed Auto). And the Evo MR that's been broke since 2018. :(
Inked-IMG-2239-LI.jpg

Last edited:

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
The only problem I have with getting another Jeep is the dealer near me is the worst. Their service department is about as bad as one can imagine. There is a Ford dealer just a couple of miles from my house with a good reputation which is why I would consider a Ford.
If the Escape fits your needs try one out.

My wife is on her second one. I didn't like the Subaru or the Toyota she had prior but both the 2013 and 2020 Escapes have impressed the hell out of me. Both have the 4 cyl, turbo and can get up and go when the turbo spools up. We had no problems with the 2013 and would probably still have it if not for good old New England rust factor.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
My wife is on her 3rd 4 runner and I'm on my 4th Tacoma over the last 30 years. In those 30 years I've never had any of the 7 vehicles into the shop...ever! We're probably going to buy the 2024 Sequoia Pro as our next vehicle. Toyota has been a very reliable manufacturer for me and probably all I'll ever drive.

RS12

Reaction score
Owned a lot of different vehicles in my time. From just about every manufacturer. As many have all ready stated in this thread you cant go wrong with a Toyota. Car or truck will go from A to B virtually every time you start it up. Maintainance has been minimal. Vehicle should go at least 300k miles. Once you pay it off you will have another 5 plus years of trouble free driving, which I call the pay you back period. Finally they hold their resale value as good or better than just about anything on the road. Bottom line is for the every day person a Toyota is a no brainer, and there arent many decisions in life you can say that about.