Opinions on Cowboys Defense Against TB Run

kskboys

Reaction score
I wouldn't be too concerned if the Buccs had offensive line issues going into the game. The offense sucked far worse and the defense bailed us out so its kind of tough to knock the defense but make no mistake if they play like that? It will get worse for them as the season goes on. If they had problems with Foursette wait until they get ahold of Mixon.
150 yds rushing? No, it's not tough to knock the D at all.

quickccc

Reaction score
I didn't watch it a second time and definitely won't, but it sure seemed like they were weak inside per usual.

Gallimore and OO did nothing that I noticed.

Bohanna made a play or two.

But I thought a 5th round draft pick was supposed to solve this.

Ditto here

i didn't see/get enuff from the DTs ..both vs run or pass ... and even more disappointment since Bucs had 3-4 guys out with injuries including
eventually starting LT Donovan ...

i know the bulk of Bucs Fournette success came at the right side of the defense ... many are pointing to Diggs whiff and duck head tackling, but a CB should never have
to tend to that many runs ... where's the front six or seven ? ... the DL and LBs ?

LVE was credit with leading the team in tackles ..but how many were on His side of the field ?
and i'm not trying too hear how Armstrong or Golston have strong run games anymore... :(.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Early season tackling was poor all over the league and Fournette is a load.

D kept them to one TD and under 20, they did their job.

It seems the mysterious trend of not being able to score on the better teams and beating up on the weakier ones might be continuing. At least the better team part.

Really sloppy opening weekend because few of the starters have seen any action in preseason. And I do not see that changing.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I know the Cowboys gave up a lot of yards rushing last night. Was it scheme, ability, or something else?

The defense looked pretty decent against the run at times last night. Other times it looked like a sieve.

State your case as to the “why”. Thanks in advance.

The offense did little to help the defense. Left it out there to get pounded on and it still held Tampa to 19 points.

Zman5

Reaction score
BS. You don't give a team over 5 yards/carry and 150 yds rushing willingly. That is some major spin, mister.

Yeh because giving up multiple 20 plus yard passes byTB12 for a quick score is a better option when your offense can't even get to the midfield. :facepalm:

exciter

Reaction score
I know the Cowboys gave up a lot of yards rushing last night. Was it scheme, ability, or something else?

The defense looked pretty decent against the run at times last night. Other times it looked like a sieve.

State your case as to the “why”. Thanks in advance.
Brady!

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Miscues....

Playing Parsons in space early...he's more effective as a pass rusher.

Where was Barr? Thought he would get snaps

Same for Cox...inactive? Inexcusable

And why on God's earth do they keep trotting out Anthony Brown? Teams target him ...and he repeatedly gets burned.

Gilmore is on the verge of eating himself our if the league. Keep hearing breakout player...I keep seeing slow get off..lack of change of direction.

Sadly...our pass rush was pretty much non existing without Parsons...

Basham...another guy that brings nothing...progress stopper for Sam Williams.

Our 2nd round picks...on defense. Play them or cut them. We are past the point of ridiculous.

Barr got snaps but they made him run to the sideline, and hes just too slow. Everything else you are spot on.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Our defensive line is too small. Our linebackers are not headhunters. I don't know if y'all have noticed or not but Parsons isn't very good against the run. But maybe that's the guys in front of him hanging him out to dry.

But basically our front seven stinks against the run.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
I really don’t have any issues with the defense at all. We played the GOAT who has two stud WRs. We gave up yards on the ground but only 19 points. 24 hours ago I think all of us would have been happy with that.

Shame on me , I went on record saying If D holds TB and Goat at 16 points we will win , they came close. But sadly our offense ….

Creeper

Reaction score
I didn't watch it a second time and definitely won't, but it sure seemed like they were weak inside per usual.

Gallimore and OO did nothing that I noticed.

Bohanna made a play or two.

But I thought a 5th round draft pick was supposed to solve this.

Bohanna was actually pretty effective clogging things up. I thought Gallimore and Hill also did okay against the double team blocks. But when they take on those double teams where are the LBs and safeties? I recorded the game and I intend to watch it again, but my first impressive is no one was getting off blocks and knifing through the clutter to tackle the ball carrier. It was one game so we will have to see where it goes from here. I'd like to to see the DEs play the run better than they did.

Tussinman

Reaction score
Our defensive line is too small. Our linebackers are not headhunters. I don't know if y'all have noticed or not but Parsons isn't very good against the run. But maybe that's the guys in front of him hanging him out to dry.

But basically our front seven stinks against the run.
One of the things that stood out the last 2 cowboys playoff losses (Rams and 49ers) is how easily the Dallas front 7 got bullied against the run. Weird that it's been such a chronic issue (especially the interior DT spot) yet it never gets addressed in the off-season ?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
150 yds rushing? No, it's not tough to knock the D at all.
It’s tough to knock them for giving up 19 points though when the offense scored 3 points. So yeah I’m he D has a lot to work but they committed no penalties and limited a good offensive team to 19 points. It wasn’t pretty but we all would take that. They have the offense good field position on a interception and still did nothing. At the end of the day it’s about points. Yards look bad for stats purposes but I could careless I’d they give up yards.

Aven8

Reaction score
It’s two fold here with Micha. No one can rush the passer like he can and no one can play LB like he can. When he rushes they switch to runs and we get gashed, and when he’s rushing they pass….