CFZ Opinions vs Trolling- Some Serious Advice

GINeric

Reaction score
And the truth comes out. You don't want equal rights on this board. You just want YOUR rights protected on this board ya tyrant!!

No, im definitely the first to support equal rights. With that said, I just want people to be held accountable for the things they say about players and coaches.

If you make negative claims about Dallas Cowboys players and coaches on a Dallas Cowboys forum.... back your argument up with facts (statistics/videos).

If you're making negative claims against Dallas Cowboys players and coaches on a Dallas Cowboys forum and your claims don't line up with real life statistics, standings, videos.... explain and share with us why your negative claims are so different from the production/proof that we visually see and read.

Whats difficult about that??

When people just shoot out negative claims about players and coaches and NEVER have credible examples to back up their claims.... thats just baseless trolling.....

nobody

Reaction score
No, im definitely the first to support equal rights. With that said, I just want people to be held accountable for the things they say about players and coaches.

If you make negative claims about Dallas Cowboys players and coaches on a Dallas Cowboys forum.... back your argument up with facts (statistics/videos).

If you're making negative claims against Dallas Cowboys players and coaches on a Dallas Cowboys forum and your claims don't line up with real life statistics, standings, videos.... explain and share with us why your negative claims are so different from the production/proof that we visually see and read.

Whats difficult about that??

When people just shoot out negative claims about players and coaches and NEVER have credible examples to back up their claims.... thats just baseless trolling.....

If someone doesn't think a player is great, for whatever reason, you can't force them to back it up with facts. What really needs to be enforced is the attacking people with differing opinions problem.

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
I’m writing this to try and reduce some of the unnecessary vitriol and occasional trolling that pops up on our great forum from time to time that can be easily avoided and make this forum even better for everyone. Probably 90-95% of our members show respect at all times so just trying to increase the respect meter around here.

Let me say upfront, we encourage everyone’s opinions about the Cowboys. Having a variety of opinions is what makes this place interesting. What we don’t encourage is name calling, race-baiting, insults, and general immature, trolling behavior. We are Cowboys fans, not e-girls fans.

Here are some serious suggestions to avoid getting the bench:
  • Once you’ve made the same argument time and time again, and many people have disagreed with that same basic argument, there’s no need to just keep making it over and over and over. At some point, we can all agree to disagree and move on.
  • Very few people dug in an opinion are going to suddenly say, “Wow, that 13th time you made that same point, I saw the light.”
  • The constant criticism and nit-picking of your fellow fans is tiresome.
  • We’re not here to win arguments. We’re here to offer opinions.
  • Once you start calling people names or insulting them, you’ve already lost whatever points you wanted to make.
  • If you don’t like someone’s thread, instead of insulting them and the topic, just don’t post on it. The fastest way to kill a thread is to avoid it. They usually die a quick death that way.
Finally- Sometimes there’s a fine line between sharing an opinion repeatedly and trolling. If we all stopped trying to “own” or “school” someone rather than respect them, this place would be so much better than it already is.

I appreciate our forum and every single Cowboys fan who posts here. In the end, there’s so much more we have in common than the things we disagree on around here.

Let’s Go Cowboys!!!

I agree with what ur saying, about being mature, and not race baiting, and not stooping to insults...but then in the very same sentence you used the phrase "e-girls", which less importantly is completely opposite of being mature and not name calling (minor point), but more importantly uses the female gender as an insult...which would kinda be as bad as making fun of the packers by calling them the Bla*kers, or something equally offensive. I'm not above letting it all hang out and being as non-PC as the next guy....but it does seem kind of a weird term to mix in there with the whole "let's not be offensive to others, and be more mature" rant you just went on.... I'd hate to explain to my daughter why "e-girls" is an insult....unless the answer is "putting down a race = bad...putting down a gender= good"

sandbridge77

Reaction score
Eagle fan here, so maybe I’m stepping over the boundary with my opinion but here it comes. I come here because I enjoy staying abreast of what’s going on with our “hated” rival, and find the majority of the posters are civil and there is a fair amount of good conversations/ discussion and humor on a regular basis.

I read much more than I post because I do tend to be a bit of a smart**s, that’s just a personality flaw or trait depending on your perspective.

Before I decided to offer my .02 I checked the home page to see how many members this forum had, over 38,000 with over 900 logged on currently. I realize that the actual active participants is much smaller but even smaller than that are the posters on the extreme sides of the issue that creates 90% of the angst here. I go out on a limb here and suggest that most active forum members could put both those lists together and they would look very similar.

Maybe it’s time to start addressing those individuals via a warning or a time out until they learn to follow the forum rules or decide to move on.

I’m aware of the workload that would create for the mods, but you guys have a great forum here that would only get better with everyone following the rules.

Sorry for the long post.

Swagger

Reaction score
Most of the supposed "trolls" are ironically Dak Prescott fans - their comments often result in unnecessary personal vicious attacks and they are mostly the first to resort to name-calling. Probably due to suffering from an inferiority complex otherwise why would they do it?

It's mostly good natured banter and tongue in cheek comments from the supposed Dak haters when they want to set the record straight.

Swagger

Reaction score
A little bit of advice on this.

Yes it can help and can stop arguments, if it gets to the point where one poster just keeps, basically harassing another. Use the ignore to stop seeing any further responses before it gets too far.
Or you are tired of seeing the same thing repeated, as the OP said, you can just not go in the thread, or if you are already posted, then it starts.

However, at some point remove them from ignore. As many things are said in the "heat of the moment" as it does not mean that poster is always like that.

Also if you have someone on ignore. You do not see any threads they start. Even if you do not agree with them much of the time, you can miss out on some valuable news. Such as player signings or injuries. Also can lead to duplicate threads.
Say it has been posted by a person you have on ignore, so you see the news and create a thread. Only to find out there is already 3 pages about it.

So yes it can be a good feature, but remove them after things have cooled off.
You make a valid point but I disagree.

People have busy lives and the "ignore" button cleans up the forum from a poster having to respond to countless nonsense from certain other posters. Since utilising the "ignore" function this forum has become far more efficient for me personally and it means I avoid the majority of trolls, so I would recommend to all for their own benefit.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
You know why we hate you Eagles fans? Because you come in here acting all superior, bragging about being one the 5 most successful NFL franchises in the new millennium, and all the first round picks you have because of your great GM, and about playing in a third of all NFC Championship games since 2000, and that you've played in as many Superbowls in the last 20 years as we have won playoff games....

And while all of that may be true...it's still obnoxious.

Don't forget, you guys may have won 4 NFL championships....but we have won 5....and I have the VHS tapes to prove it.

We dem....
At least sandbridge77 has the guts to come here as a fan of the team that he’s actually a fan of. Many, like yourself, act like Dallas fans but they’re pretty easy to see through.

You name yourself cowboyslakerbamafan, which of course implies that Dallas fans are just bandwagon fans.

Then you list every accomplishment the Eagles have had in the last 20 years, call Howie a great GM, brag about first round picks, and say Philly is a top 5 franchise… which I’ve heard no Eagles fan say on here except for you.

Then you mention the Cowboys super bowl wins and call them ancient by saying you have them on VHS… I’m sure you thought that one was clever.

I’ve rarely seen a sock puppet fan from a rival team be more blatant and careless. We’ve had a lot of sock puppet Philly fans joining here the last few weeks, but man, none of them were this obvious.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Eagle fan here, so maybe I’m stepping over the boundary with my opinion but here it comes. I come here because I enjoy staying abreast of what’s going on with our “hated” rival, and find the majority of the posters are civil and there is a fair amount of good conversations/ discussion and humor on a regular basis.

I read much more than I post because I do tend to be a bit of a smart**s, that’s just a personality flaw or trait depending on your perspective.

Before I decided to offer my .02 I checked the home page to see how many members this forum had, over 38,000 with over 900 logged on currently. I realize that the actual active participants is much smaller but even smaller than that are the posters on the extreme sides of the issue that creates 90% of the angst here. I go out on a limb here and suggest that most active forum members could put both those lists together and they would look very similar.

Maybe it’s time to start addressing those individuals via a warning or a time out until they learn to follow the forum rules or decide to move on.

I’m aware of the workload that would create for the mods, but you guys have a great forum here that would only get better with everyone following the rules.

Sorry for the long post.
Well said.

GMO415

Reaction score
I’m writing this to try and reduce some of the unnecessary vitriol and occasional trolling that pops up on our great forum from time to time that can be easily avoided and make this forum even better for everyone. Probably 90-95% of our members show respect at all times so just trying to increase the respect meter around here.

Let me say upfront, we encourage everyone’s opinions about the Cowboys. Having a variety of opinions is what makes this place interesting. What we don’t encourage is name calling, race-baiting, insults, and general immature, trolling behavior. We are Cowboys fans, not e-girls fans.

• Once you’ve made the same argument time and time again, and many people have disagreed with that same basic argument, there’s no need to just keep making it over and over and over. At some point, we can all agree to disagree and move on.
  • Very few people dug in an opinion are going to suddenly say, “Wow, that 13th time you made that same point, I saw the light.”
  • Once you start calling people names or insulting them, you’ve already lost whatever points you wanted to make.
  • If you don’t like someone’s thread, instead of insulting them and the topic, just don’t post on it. The fastest way to kill a thread is to avoid it. They usually die a quick death that way.
Finally- Sometimes there’s a fine line between sharing an opinion repeatedly and trolling. If we all stopped trying to “own” or “school” someone rather than respect them, this place would be so much better than it already is.

I appreciate our forum and every single Cowboys fan who posts here. In the end, there’s so much more we have in common than the things we disagree on around here.

Let’s Go Cowboys!!!
AMEN BULLET
p1517868_e_v8_aa.jpg

meddleroidz

Reaction score
come on lol at the cheap shot with "e-girls" remark, the phillies are playing in the WS, flyers are doing great aswell, the philly teams are balling yes sir!

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score

Let’s Go Cowboys!!!
As it turns out your post was a waste of time. The front page is full of Dak hate threads by the usual suspects. Perhaps making a Dak hate page is the best option.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
You make a valid point but I disagree.

People have busy lives and the "ignore" button cleans up the forum from a poster having to respond to countless nonsense from certain other posters. Since utilising the "ignore" function this forum has become far more efficient for me personally and it means I avoid the majority of trolls, so I would recommend to all for their own benefit.

I can only surmise that some folks enjoy having the same arguments, with the same people, over and over again. Otherwise, they'd ignore people they believe to be a "troll" or "hater" instead of responding to everything they say with "troll" or "hater". I haven't seen anyone change another's opinion by coming at them that way. Quite the opposite.

It doesn't matter to me either way. Activity is a good thing as long as having these debates isn't affecting their emotional well-being (and they abide by the site rules).

Cowboys1966

Reaction score

Let’s Go Cowboys!!!
Just curious… let’s say one of the main players has the fan base split. Half hate him and half like him. In that situation wouldn’t it be as much trolling to praise him as it would to denigrate him?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Okay, this is going to violate one of the forum rules, but if it's a discussion about opinions vs trolling then it should be addressed. Without benchings when someone is obviously constantly violating the rules, they feel they can keep up the behavior indefinitely without repercussion. I'm not going to name names but there are a couple of posters who seem allowed to personally insult with impunity. They can insinuate, bait, and troll to their heart's content and never seem to get benched.

As far as the suggestion that some "ignored" people should be taken off ignore after some time has passed. Why? When those people have consistently insulted and baited with impunity and never showing signs of maturing and stopping or even being benched until they realize it's not acceptable, what's the point of taking them off ignore? It would be better if more people ignored them.

These discussions should be about football and should be civil. There are a few posters who always try to turn to personal insults and insinuations. It's always the same culprits too. Nothing ever happens. That's why threads like this are nice, but don't really help.
Comes back to those "Come to Jesus" group meetings most of us have attended and some held.

The non-perps get worried and the ones the meeting was intended for don't think it's about them.

But the reason those are held are the same reason Bullet's thread is here. The non-perps need to know we are aware of what is happening but are faced with the task of really being cops and not moderators. When I took this position, I understood it to be foremost trying to keep posters out of jail and was probably a little too 5th chance with some but I hoped just drawing their attention with warnings might work. And it did with some.

I look at this in the most simplest form when anyone signs up here, caveat emptor. You are entering a social media forum with all that brings and are responsible for how you conduct yourself and also how you process the actions of others. That Ignore button is to help that process with some that are here just to make waves and aggravate you to the point of distraction. You do not have to play along.

What is misleading is those actions of the few reflect on the whole. The nastiness isn't prevalent here and sometimes it is exacerbated by giving that poster what they want most of all, attention. Some are here for the derail and the only way to make them stop is to not play with them.

We used to have this poster on DC.com, a Giants fan we all believed, that would start threads just to get some riled up and they'd decide to play along and then get pissed and want him banned. I was laughing all the time at how he could get action and he'd even come back and remark about how many pages he'd gotten on that thread. Now, was that on those mods to police or on the members not to play along and get played? That poster was getting exactly what he came for and would stay as long as he did.

Moral of the story: Don't feed the trolls unless you enjoy the banter.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As it turns out your post was a waste of time. The front page is full of Dak hate threads by the usual suspects. Perhaps making a Dak hate page is the best option.
I disagree, did you really expect the first post of this thread to get those Bullet is speaking of to change?

If you think you are tired of it, think about having to moderate it and try keeping our forum moving forward, which is our main function.

There is no way to stop those threads from coming because we have this polarizing QB to follow up on the one before him and the QB is the player on all of these teams.

Mr. Cowboy, what would happen to those threads if the Dakfenders stopped fighting with the Dakaters? And check out the post count and pages on those threads. Everybody seems to hate them and everybody seems to be participating in them. The Dakaters are just like the Romorooters, they are relentless and that's about all they want to talk about.