CFZ Organizational Momentum

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When an NFL team makes the playoffs in back to back seasons or even better, make the playoffs in multiple consecutive seasons, that team has what is called organizational momentum”. It’s a good indicator of how well the entire organizational structure is working.

So how often have the Cowboys had ORGANIZATIONAL MOMENTUM in the last 26 seasons?

• The last time the Cowboys made the playoffs in back to back seasons was 15 years ago- 2006-2007.
  • The last time the Cowboys won the NFC East in back to back seasons was 1995-1996, 26 seasons ago.
  • In those 26 seasons since 1996, the Cowboys have only made the playoffs 10 times. That’s 38% of the time. And this is during the “era of parity”.
Compare this to prior Cowboys history:
  • From 1966-1985- 20 seasons- the Cowboys made the playoffs 18 times- that’s 90% of the time.
  • From that same time period 1966-85, the Cowboys won the NFC East 14 times, and won it back to back seven times.
  • From 1991-96, the Cowboys made the playoffs six consecutive seasons.
  • From 92-96, the Cowboys win the NFC East 5 consecutive seasons.
Current Teams with Organizational Momentum:
  • Baltimore- has made the playoffs 13 times in the last 18 seasons. Multiple back to back seasons. Done with 4 different starting QBs.
  • New England- made the playoffs 20 of 22 seasons. Multiple back to back division and playoff seasons. Played in nearly 50 playoff games. All but one playoff season with Tom Brady.
  • LA Rams- made the playoffs 4 of the last 5 seasons and back to back division champs twice. Went to two SBs with two different QBs.
  • GB- made the playoffs 11 of 13 seasons and on a current 3 straight seasons as NFC North champs.
In the era of parity, the Cowboys have made the playoffs 38% of the time, played in 13 playoff games, only winning 3. Organizational momentum means your front office has a viable plan and vision on how to build a team that can compete for a championship. It’s been a loooooong time since we’ve been able to have that kind of consistency.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Unfortunately, this is not the face of organizational momentum. This is just treading water.

6bc05i.jpg

fivetwos

Reaction score
What I don't understand is why it's so surprising when people that arent qualified to do the job that they have....don't succeed.

I'm the fool for sitting here hoping it can somehow be overcome because a decision I made at seven years old just cannot be undone.

Maybe, just maybe, one day that will be defied, and we will win in spite of the sub par leadership.

Winning an NFL championship is rare and tough enough. When you add that other layer, it becomes next to impossible.

Part of me understands this and wants to not be a fool. The other 51% of me won't allow it.

What's frustrating about these two is most people learn from mistakes.....Jerry and son sit there and grin as if it's a proven formula.

Man I hope McClay is making at least 5m per....because he is the only thing allowing this charade to continue, and now that I mention it....maybe his existence isn't the best thing for the fans overall.

It allows these two to pretend they have it all figured out when they clearly do not.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What I don't understand is why it's so surprising when people that arent qualified to do the job that they have....don't succeed.

I'm the fool for sitting here hoping it can somehow be overcome because a decision I made at seven years old just cannot be undone.

Maybe, just maybe, one day that will be defied, and we will win in spite of the sub par leadership.

Winning an NFL championship is rare and tough enough. When you add that other layer, it becomes next to impossible.

Part of me understands this and wants to not be a fool. The other 51% of me won't allow it.

What's frustrating about these two is most people learn from mistakes.....Jerry and son sit there and grin as if it's a proven formula.

Man I hope McClay is making at least 5m per....because he is the only thing allowing this charade to continue, and now that I mention it....maybe he existence isn't the best thing for the fans overall.

It lows these two to pretend they have it all figured out when they clearly do not.
It’s amazing how poorly this FO has performed compared to the team’s prior history and reputation. The Cowboys have become consistently mediocre and that’s being generous. If not for the drafts where Will McClay has made a big difference, we would be the jets or the jags.

Regarding the Jones boys learning from their mistakes- I think the fundamental flaw for the entire organization is the lack of accountability at the top. When the top of the organization is completely unaccountable for failure, it’s impossible to have accountability anywhere in the organization.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
When an NFL team makes the playoffs in back to back seasons or even better, make the playoffs in multiple consecutive seasons, that team has what is called organizational momentum”. It’s a good indicator of how well the entire organizational structure is working.

So how often have the Cowboys had ORGANIZATIONAL MOMENTUM in the last 26 seasons?

• The last time the Cowboys made the playoffs in back to back seasons was 15 years ago- 2006-2007.
  • The last time the Cowboys won the NFC East in back to back seasons was 1995-1996, 26 seasons ago.
  • In those 26 seasons since 1996, the Cowboys have only made the playoffs 10 times. That’s 38% of the time. And this is during the “era of parity”.
  • From 1966-1985- 20 seasons- the Cowboys made the playoffs 18 times- that’s 90% of the time.
  • From that same time period 1966-85, the Cowboys won the NFC East 14 times, and won it back to back seven times.
  • Baltimore- has made the playoffs 13 times in the last 18 seasons. Multiple back to back seasons. Done with 4 different starting QBs.
  • New England- made the playoffs 20 of 22 seasons. Multiple back to back division and playoff seasons. Played in nearly 50 playoff games. All but one playoff season with Tom Brady.
  • LA Rams- made the playoffs 4 of the last 5 seasons and back to back division champs twice. Went to two SBs with two different QBs.
  • GB- made the playoffs 11 of 13 seasons and on a current 3 straight seasons as NFC North champs.
In the era of parity, the Cowboys have made the playoffs 38% of the time, played in 13 playoff games, only winning 3. Organizational momentum means your front office has a viable plan and vision on how to build a team that can compete for a championship. It’s been a loooooong time since we’ve been able to have that kind of consistency.
Our best organizational movement was from 2014-2018 as we won 3 division titles and appeared in 3 Divisional Playoff games on the brink of breaking thru to our first championship game appearance since 1995. That’s the best run we’ve had this era despite however disappointing our endings were.

The only other similar run we had was from 2006- 2009. But while winning 2 division titles we only appeared in 2 Divisional Playoff games which only one we were in contention.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Most likely this is about as good as it’s going to get with our dysfunctional leadership with an 80 year old owner and part time GM who also undermines the coaching staff.

Fortunately we’ve lucked out on an undrafted and 4th rd QB and hit on a few 1st round picks( which almost anyone could) or we’d be more of a bottom tier football franchise.

There’s really no reason to expect anymore. Now go sell some jerseys , tickets and hype up the season so we can retain our top revenue.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score

Man I hope McClay is making at least 5m per....because he is the only thing allowing this charade to continue, and now that I mention it....maybe his existence isn't the best thing for the fans overall.

It allows these two to pretend they have it all figured out when they clearly do not.
Great post. And here is the TRUTH. Since Jimmy Johnson's influence left the building (coaches, players he drafted and developed etc..)...the Jones have done ZERO. Of course Jerry was the owner when we won those 3 Super Bowls. But that proved he was a great OWNER. But that was not enough for him. He watched Jimmy do it...and Jimmy made it look so "easy"...that Jerry thought HE could do it. Hell, Jerry thought there were 500 other coaches that could do what Jimmy did. And to be honest...Jerry did not want to share the credit....which is why he longed to do it without Jimmy. Much like Kobe wanted to win WITHOUT Shaq.

So they have had ZERO success being the architects of a successful on field football product. And the part that bothers me and should bother every fan....they have the money and allegiance from the fans...to continue DOING it THEIR way with no end in sight. I fully expect Stephen to be WORSE than Jerry going forward.

fivetwos

Reaction score
The bar has been lowered to the point where I would consider an NFC title game loss a good season.

They can't even come CLOSE to THAT.

The 'telling everyone how its done' attitude lately is rubbing me very wrong.

I guess that's just the latest sales approach.

They will never see the damn conflict of having to sell a product vs run a football team.

Great star players, crappy coaches, all friends, everyone laughing at Jerry's dumb jokes, no edge...but we will just be so great we will beat everyone.....just like Jerry did all himself in the 90s but with a big party going on at the same time.

You can do it Jerry!! You can do anything.

And would of course "do anything to win," as if its an option on the catering menu.

Personally I think the kid has Jerry hoodwinked as to the direction of things....and that's part of the problem, but a way different topic, and maybe one that some of the regular thread starters may want to think about.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is a locally family owned and operated business with little accountability and is financially and perceptively successful.

Organizational momentum is not achieved through luck.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score

Nail on the head.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I can tell you the older I get, the more deflated I feel about this team. The optimism is about gone and each new season that comes along has me feeling, "meh, whatever." That's sad. It's not the way it's suppose to be. The Jones' are successfully killing my fandom.

I know there will be a few to come along here and question my love for the team on the comment. Hey, I've sunk a ton of emotion into this team since I was 12 years old. About 85% of that has been futile. When is the team going to turn around and sink some emotion back into us fans?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The bar has been lowered to the point where I would consider an NFC title game loss a good season.

They can't even come CLOSE to THAT.

The 'telling everyone how its done' attitude lately is rubbing me very wrong.

I guess that's just the latest sales approach.

They will never see the damn conflict of having to sell a product vs run a football team.

Great star players, crappy coaches, all friends, everyone laughing at Jerry's dumb jokes, no edge...but we will just be so great we will beat everyone.....just like Jerry did all himself in the 90s but with a big party going on at the same time.

You can do it Jerry!! You can do anything.

And would of course "do anything to win," as if its an option on the catering menu.

Personally I think the kid has Jerry hoodwinked as to the direction of things....and that's part of the problem, but a way different topic, and maybe one that some of the regular thread starters may want to think about.
If the Jones boys did nothing but shut their mouths, we would have a little better shot at success. I’ve never seen the top of an organization so frequently undermine their HC and their entire team because they think what they have to say is so important. I could handle this whole era so much better if those guys would just shut up.

fivetwos

Reaction score
If the Jones boys did nothing but shut their mouths, we would have a little better shot at success. I’ve never seen the top of an organization so frequently undermine their HC and their entire team because they think what they have to say is so important. I could handle this whole era so much better if those guys would just shut up.
I have no problem losing. That's fine.

I have a problem losing because of Jerry's ego.

And that's really why it happens. The two times he had a real coach in place we had a chance.....and each time it was..."thanks, I'll take it frome here" as if he would fool the world into thinking it was all him......and THEREFORE...Jimmy Johnson was irrelevant.

It's so childish and delusional that's its beyond a joke at this point.

There's nothing Jerry can do to accomplish what he wants to.....and that's saying that he built a championship team all on his own, and that Jimmy Johnson was just there for the early success.

That's already over, but I'd swear they think so highly of themselves that they honestly and truly believe that no one could do better than them.

Good thing for PSLs and people being stuck....but they know this. Sorry for all of you that got sucked beyond emotion and I hope you all have the means to recover because some of it is really sad.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
It’s amazing how poorly this FO has performed compared to the team’s prior history and reputation. The Cowboys have become consistently mediocre and that’s being generous. If not for the drafts where Will McClay has made a big difference, we would be the jets or the jags.

Regarding the Jones boys learning from their mistakes- I think the fundamental flaw for the entire organization is the lack of accountability at the top. When the top of the organization is completely unaccountable for failure, it’s impossible to have accountability anywhere in the organization.
They have had ZERO success as the primary architects. This is just unfathomable. Of course there are plenty of other failed regimes throughout the history of the NFL....but failed regimes do NOT get 27 years and counting to FAIL. And no, I don't expect Super Bowl every year. But can we at least make a run...even if it is out of nowhere like the Bengals just did? The Bucs had missed the playoffs for 12 straight years prior to winning the Super Bowl 2 years ago. If you are not good (which the Jones are not)...the league is designed for you to at least get lucky. Well....we can't even get lucky!

JonesBoys

Reaction score

They don’t need to be accountable when the money keeps rolling in. That’s how the Jones boys track success. We as a fan base are screwed with these two bozos running the show. We have to pray for a miracle season where they win in spite of these two idiots.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sorry, but I have a problem losing, especially after you study the historical facts offered by BobH. This team always had a winning attitude. There was never a time the fans had to worry about the FO not doing everything in its power to win. And that includes monumental trades and FA acquisitions. They always did what it took to win