CFZ Organizational Momentum

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When an NFL team makes the playoffs in back to back seasons or even better, make the playoffs in multiple consecutive seasons, that team has what is called organizational momentum”. It’s a good indicator of how well the entire organizational structure is working.

So how often have the Cowboys had ORGANIZATIONAL MOMENTUM in the last 26 seasons?

• The last time the Cowboys made the playoffs in back to back seasons was 15 years ago- 2006-2007.
  • The last time the Cowboys won the NFC East in back to back seasons was 1995-1996, 26 seasons ago.
  • In those 26 seasons since 1996, the Cowboys have only made the playoffs 10 times. That’s 38% of the time. And this is during the “era of parity”.
Compare this to prior Cowboys history:
  • From 1966-1985- 20 seasons- the Cowboys made the playoffs 18 times- that’s 90% of the time.
  • From that same time period 1966-85, the Cowboys won the NFC East 14 times, and won it back to back seven times.
  • From 1991-96, the Cowboys made the playoffs six consecutive seasons.
  • From 92-96, the Cowboys win the NFC East 5 consecutive seasons.
Current Teams with Organizational Momentum:
  • Baltimore- has made the playoffs 13 times in the last 18 seasons. Multiple back to back seasons. Done with 4 different starting QBs.
  • New England- made the playoffs 20 of 22 seasons. Multiple back to back division and playoff seasons. Played in nearly 50 playoff games. All but one playoff season with Tom Brady.
  • LA Rams- made the playoffs 4 of the last 5 seasons and back to back division champs twice. Went to two SBs with two different QBs.
  • GB- made the playoffs 11 of 13 seasons and on a current 3 straight seasons as NFC North champs.
In the era of parity, the Cowboys have made the playoffs 38% of the time, played in 13 playoff games, only winning 3. Organizational momentum means your front office has a viable plan and vision on how to build a team that can compete for a championship. It’s been a loooooong time since we’ve been able to have that kind of consistency.
How long did it take you to draft this post, or is cut and paste a wonderful thing?

fivetwos

Reaction score
It isn't about actual Championships.

Just have a chance to make a run during the period that you think is the right time.

Are they waiting for something else to happen during this window?

They just seem content to take their chances in the postseason so they are only half screwed with dead money later.....so they can remain relative then also.

It's really not a secret what's going on here and they need to be called out, but if Jerry is gonna use his league influence to get you fired if you do.....I don't blame them for not.

fivetwos

Reaction score
They have had ZERO success as the primary architects. This is just unfathomable. Of course there are plenty of other failed regimes throughout the history of the NFL....but failed regimes do NOT get 27 years and counting to FAIL. And no, I don't expect Super Bowl every year. But can we at least make a run...even if it is out of nowhere like the Bengals just did? The Bucs had missed the playoffs for 12 straight years prior to winning the Super Bowl 2 years ago. If you are not good (which the Jones are not)...the league is designed for you to at least get lucky. Well....we can't even get lucky!
Part of things is that the Washingtons, Detroits and Clevelands of the NFL tell the Joneses that there are people way worse than them in charge.

It's hardly that, and by no means the SAME people, but it allows them to not be ridiculed for being the very worst.....

Probably the BEST thing this season could bring....is a Miami/Cleveland and Detroit/Washington final four.

Maybe then the talking heads will call Jerry and his act out for what it is.

For now every single media member I've seen anyway is too scared to call him out.

Western

Reaction score
In the last 10 years, the only player drafted that has been worth his selection, and the subsequent contract extension has been Zack Martin.

One player out of 84 players drafted by Dallas since 2012.

Will McClay's drafts have been horrible.

75boyz

Reaction score
Loved it Bob. Particularly the other organizations momentum.
A little surprised Pittsburgh and Seattle (pre Russ departure) didn't make the list as I thought they had been pretty consistent playoff teams during this era of parity as well.

Another great post all the same.

CowboyFanInLexKy

Reaction score
Unfortunately, this is not the face of organizational momentum. This is just treading water.

6bc05i.jpg

He has to look like he's tough...

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Part of things is that the Washingtons, Detroits and Clevelands of the NFL tell the Joneses that there are people way worse than them in charge.

It's hardly that, and by no means the SAME people, but it allows them to not be ridiculed for being the very worst.....

Probably the BEST thing this season could bring....is a Miami/Cleveland and Detroit/Washington final four.

Maybe then the talking heads will call Jerry and his act out for what it is.

For now every single media member I've seen anyway is too scared to call him out.
Wow...I wonder why that is. I guess the have the best facilities, food, and swag bags for the media?

fivetwos

Reaction score
Wow...I wonder why that is. I guess the have the best facilities, food, and swag bags for the media?
If you're seriously asking....the media aren't fans and don't care the way we do.

They are better off sucking up and advancing career wise than calling out someone who has much league influence.

I'm surprised there isn't at least one media member in the DFW area that is able to get away with it.....

Of course those are probably Jerry's best buddies.

It's all corrupt.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
When an NFL team makes the playoffs in back to back seasons or even better, make the playoffs in multiple consecutive seasons, that team has what is called organizational momentum”. It’s a good indicator of how well the entire organizational structure is working.

Bob, I like you posts and the thought you have put into them.

A lot of what you have pointed out is about culture.

Talent ebbs and flows. Coaches come and go and take their schemes with them.

What stays is typically the longitudinal indicators. Stuff that is there year after year sun up and sun down. All that stuff is defined as culture.

There is a culture problem that allows the Cowboys to be successful in one arena, but lacking in others. I think we have beaten it to death.

Winning is not the most important thing to the front office of the Dallas Cowboys. I think a forensic investigation into the patterns of behaviour with teams you have highlighted would reveal glaring differences in attention, focus and effort between the Cowboys and those teams.

It probably for a different thread, but there are obvious reasons why the team is mired in a pattern of behaviour and results.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

So how often have the Cowboys had ORGANIZATIONAL MOMENTUM in the last 26 seasons?

• The last time the Cowboys made the playoffs in back to back seasons was 15 years ago- 2006-2007.
  • The last time the Cowboys won the NFC East in back to back seasons was 1995-1996, 26 seasons ago.
  • In those 26 seasons since 1996, the Cowboys have only made the playoffs 10 times. That’s 38% of the time. And this is during the “era of parity”.
  • From 1966-1985- 20 seasons- the Cowboys made the playoffs 18 times- that’s 90% of the time.
  • From that same time period 1966-85, the Cowboys won the NFC East 14 times, and won it back to back seven times.
  • Baltimore- has made the playoffs 13 times in the last 18 seasons. Multiple back to back seasons. Done with 4 different starting QBs.
  • New England- made the playoffs 20 of 22 seasons. Multiple back to back division and playoff seasons. Played in nearly 50 playoff games. All but one playoff season with Tom Brady.
  • LA Rams- made the playoffs 4 of the last 5 seasons and back to back division champs twice. Went to two SBs with two different QBs.
  • GB- made the playoffs 11 of 13 seasons and on a current 3 straight seasons as NFC North champs.
In the era of parity, the Cowboys have made the playoffs 38% of the time, played in 13 playoff games, only winning 3. Organizational momentum means your front office has a viable plan and vision on how to build a team that can compete for a championship. It’s been a loooooong time since we’ve been able to have that kind of consistency.
As long as we have amatuars running the front office and not professional football people
we are at too significant of a competitive disadvantage to have sustained success.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bob, I like you posts and the thought you have put into them.

A lot of what you have pointed out is about culture.

Talent ebbs and flows. Coaches come and go and take their schemes with them.

What stays is typically the longitudinal indicators. Stuff that is there year after year sun up and sun down. All that stuff is defined as culture.

There is a culture problem that allows the Cowboys to be successful in one arena, but lacking in others. I think we have beaten it to death.

Winning is not the most important thing to the front office of the Dallas Cowboys. I think a forensic investigation into the patterns of behaviour with teams you have highlighted would reveal glaring differences in attention, focus and effort between the Cowboys and those teams.

It probably for a different thread, but there are obvious reasons why the team is mired in a pattern of behaviour and results.
Yes sir- culture is so important and I’m willing to bet accountability is one of those things the most successful teams have starting at the top.

The interesting thing is if Jerry just held himself and SJ accountable by changing some of their roles would be at least a minor step in the right direction. JJ could keep the title of GM but stop the radio shows and post game press conferences. THAT is a very small way he could hold himself accountable for his past behavior. But he’s incapable of doing that.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score

This may be one of the best posts on here. Great job Bob. Always appreciate your well thought out posts

BoyzBlaster

Reaction score
If you're seriously asking....the media aren't fans and don't care the way we do.

They are better off sucking up and advancing career wise than calling out someone who has much league influence.

I'm surprised there isn't at least one media member in the DFW area that is able to get away with it.....

Of course those are probably Jerry's best buddies.

It's all corrupt.
It really is a Dallas thing I think. Or maybe that the other teams in the division are in the northeast where people aren't so laid back. The media in PHI and NY is brutal when the teams aren't winning. WAS I am not as familiar with.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hard to tell what those guys are sensitive to.
I'm kinda certain they are sensitive to cash flow and ratings. Fans missing a few games might just knock the Cowboys out of the highest viewership rating. That might just get old Jerry's attention