CFZ Organizational Momentum

Verdict

Reaction score
When an NFL team makes the playoffs in back to back seasons or even better, make the playoffs in multiple consecutive seasons, that team has what is called organizational momentum”. It’s a good indicator of how well the entire organizational structure is working.

So how often have the Cowboys had ORGANIZATIONAL MOMENTUM in the last 26 seasons?

• The last time the Cowboys made the playoffs in back to back seasons was 15 years ago- 2006-2007.
  • The last time the Cowboys won the NFC East in back to back seasons was 1995-1996, 26 seasons ago.
  • In those 26 seasons since 1996, the Cowboys have only made the playoffs 10 times. That’s 38% of the time. And this is during the “era of parity”.
Compare this to prior Cowboys history:
  • From 1966-1985- 20 seasons- the Cowboys made the playoffs 18 times- that’s 90% of the time.
  • From that same time period 1966-85, the Cowboys won the NFC East 14 times, and won it back to back seven times.
  • From 1991-96, the Cowboys made the playoffs six consecutive seasons.
  • From 92-96, the Cowboys win the NFC East 5 consecutive seasons.
Current Teams with Organizational Momentum:
  • Baltimore- has made the playoffs 13 times in the last 18 seasons. Multiple back to back seasons. Done with 4 different starting QBs.
  • New England- made the playoffs 20 of 22 seasons. Multiple back to back division and playoff seasons. Played in nearly 50 playoff games. All but one playoff season with Tom Brady.
  • LA Rams- made the playoffs 4 of the last 5 seasons and back to back division champs twice. Went to two SBs with two different QBs.
  • GB- made the playoffs 11 of 13 seasons and on a current 3 straight seasons as NFC North champs.
In the era of parity, the Cowboys have made the playoffs 38% of the time, played in 13 playoff games, only winning 3. Organizational momentum means your front office has a viable plan and vision on how to build a team that can compete for a championship. It’s been a loooooong time since we’ve been able to have that kind of consistency.
All valid points. On the other hand, here is the devil’s advocate response:

1. The Cowboys success up through the SB years was pre-salary cap era. (So rules were different)

2. NFCE has historically been one of the strongest divisions in football (up until the last few years). No back to back winners in an eternity is evidence of that fact.

3. It’s easy to dominate a weak division (see Patriots, Steelers)

4. One of the most destructive phenomenons in football is being mediocre. The Cowboys seem to insist on trying to get to .500. That limits draft capital and makes it harder for you to win in later years. It is not coincidence that one of our best years came when we drafted #4 overall and drafted Zeke and Dak.

5. In my opinion there is significant anti-Cowboys bias by the league office and league officiating. I don’t care if you want to admit it, or not, it’s real and is a factor in where we are. Dez caught it both times.

6. Sometimes one aspect of your organization is preventing success. I would argue that has been largely coaching.

7. People want to judge this organization based on the metric of playoffs and titles, and I think that is the appropriate metric for us to use. But the Cowboys have been one of the most successful teams in winning a lot of games over the past 26 years. If you use total wins as a yardstick to measure success the Cowboys are near the top.

Verdict

Reaction score
Yes sir- culture is so important and I’m willing to bet accountability is one of those things the most successful teams have starting at the top.

The interesting thing is if Jerry just held himself and SJ accountable by changing some of their roles would be at least a minor step in the right direction. JJ could keep the title of GM but stop the radio shows and post game press conferences. THAT is a very small way he could hold himself accountable for his past behavior. But he’s incapable of doing that.

If you look at this situation a little bit deeper the Cowboys seem to savor every win as if all wins are created equal. I see fans idiotically state that draft position is unimportant. They savor every win and care about winning games in years that they will miss the playoffs. That’s the wrong strategy.

As long as the Cowboys insist on winning meaningless games they will be at a disadvantage as compared to the rest of the league. The Eagles pulled Hurts in one of the final games of the year a few years ago to seal a loss. They understand competitive advantage.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Unfortunately, this is not the face of organizational momentum. This is just treading water.

6bc05i.jpg
That's what we do.
Status quo, don't take risk, just try to stay relevant in the nfc least.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
If you look at this situation a little bit deeper the Cowboys seem to savor every win as if all wins are created equal. I see fans idiotically state that draft position is unimportant. They savor every win and care about winning games in years that they will miss the playoffs. That’s the wrong strategy.

As long as the Cowboys insist on winning meaningless games they will be at a disadvantage as compared to the rest of the league. The Eagles pulled Hurts in one of the final games of the year a few years ago to seal a loss. They understand competitive advantage.
Our front office does not not seem to think big picture or plan for seasons down the road.
They just react and are not proactive

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
It isn't about actual Championships.

Just have a chance to make a run during the period that you think is the right time.

Are they waiting for something else to happen during this window?

They just seem content to take their chances in the postseason so they are only half screwed with dead money later.....so they can remain relative then also.

It's really not a secret what's going on here and they need to be called out, but if Jerry is gonna use his league influence to get you fired if you do.....I don't blame them for not.
If they really feel dak is a franchise QB, they need to go all in during his prime window.

glimmerman

Reaction score
We would not be the team you prefer to play during the regular season. But the team everyone wants to play in the playoffs..

Flamma

Reaction score
The last time the Cowboys won the NFC East in back to back seasons was 1995-1996, 26 seasons ago.

That's also the last time the Cowboys had back to back double digit win seasons. Think about that. We haven't won at least 10 games in back to back seasons since '95 and '96.

Who else you ask? Jets, Panthers, Browns, Lions, and Commies.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Dallas is toast this year.

The lack of effort from the front office will definitely carry over to the team and you will see a team who isn’t all in because they know management isn’t all in.

Our standard right now is at a all time low.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Dallas is toast this year.

The lack of effort from the front office will definitely carry over to the team and you will see a team who isn’t all in because they know management isn’t all in.

Our standard right now is at a all time low.
We know we won't get any better without a significant improvement in the run game.

With Moore as OC, and Schultz and Elliott playing most snaps due to salary, I dont see how that happens for 2022.

Hardline

Reaction score
I blame the fans that keep selling out that stadium and buying all that merch.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
When an NFL team makes the playoffs in back to back seasons or even better, make the playoffs in multiple consecutive seasons, that team has what is called organizational momentum”. It’s a good indicator of how well the entire organizational structure is working.

So how often have the Cowboys had ORGANIZATIONAL MOMENTUM in the last 26 seasons?

• The last time the Cowboys made the playoffs in back to back seasons was 15 years ago- 2006-2007.
  • The last time the Cowboys won the NFC East in back to back seasons was 1995-1996, 26 seasons ago.
  • In those 26 seasons since 1996, the Cowboys have only made the playoffs 10 times. That’s 38% of the time. And this is during the “era of parity”.
  • From 1966-1985- 20 seasons- the Cowboys made the playoffs 18 times- that’s 90% of the time.
  • From that same time period 1966-85, the Cowboys won the NFC East 14 times, and won it back to back seven times.
  • Baltimore- has made the playoffs 13 times in the last 18 seasons. Multiple back to back seasons. Done with 4 different starting QBs.
  • New England- made the playoffs 20 of 22 seasons. Multiple back to back division and playoff seasons. Played in nearly 50 playoff games. All but one playoff season with Tom Brady.
  • LA Rams- made the playoffs 4 of the last 5 seasons and back to back division champs twice. Went to two SBs with two different QBs.
  • GB- made the playoffs 11 of 13 seasons and on a current 3 straight seasons as NFC North champs.
In the era of parity, the Cowboys have made the playoffs 38% of the time, played in 13 playoff games, only winning 3. Organizational momentum means your front office has a viable plan and vision on how to build a team that can compete for a championship. It’s been a loooooong time since we’ve been able to have that kind of consistency.

I dont think most of the fan base would even recognize it if it happened. The fact of the matter is the Cowboys team is getting younger and better. Talk all you want about the last 25 years, there has been a difference in the way the team is run after Garrett.

CWR

Reaction score

Yes and MM only has to make the playoffs this season to have been better than JG. Back to back winning seasons is a start. It's not enough, but an improvement nonetheless.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
According to history, we don't have organizational momentum.......we take one step forward, followed by 2 or 3 backwards.

Right.....to me organizational momentum begins with the FO....do they have a specific plan in place and do you actually see the building process and progress of the team... There is none here. Each season is just a crap shoot. When Jimmy's teams, yes Jimmy's ....were losing the first couple of seasons you still could see the team building in progress and so you didn't mind the losing. You knew success was about to happen. I don't get that feeling here. It's more of just wanting to tread water, stuck in neutral approach.

MoistMayonnaise

Devil's Advocate
Reaction score
Great post. And here is the TRUTH. Since Jimmy Johnson's influence left the building (coaches, players he drafted and developed etc..)...the Jones have done ZERO. Of course Jerry was the owner when we won those 3 Super Bowls. But that proved he was a great OWNER. But that was not enough for him. He watched Jimmy do it...and Jimmy made it look so "easy"...that Jerry thought HE could do it. Hell, Jerry thought there were 500 other coaches that could do what Jimmy did. And to be honest...Jerry did not want to share the credit....which is why he longed to do it without Jimmy. Much like Kobe wanted to win WITHOUT Shaq.

So they have had ZERO success being the architects of a successful on field football product. And the part that bothers me and should bother every fan....they have the money and allegiance from the fans...to continue DOING it THEIR way with no end in sight. I fully expect Stephen to be WORSE than Jerry going forward.

Truth

zekecowboy

Reaction score
The bar has been lowered to the point where I would consider an NFC title game loss a good season.

They can't even come CLOSE to THAT.

The 'telling everyone how its done' attitude lately is rubbing me very wrong.

I guess that's just the latest sales approach.

They will never see the damn conflict of having to sell a product vs run a football team.

Great star players, crappy coaches, all friends, everyone laughing at Jerry's dumb jokes, no edge...but we will just be so great we will beat everyone.....just like Jerry did all himself in the 90s but with a big party going on at the same time.

You can do it Jerry!! You can do anything.

And would of course "do anything to win," as if its an option on the catering menu.

Personally I think the kid has Jerry hoodwinked as to the direction of things....and that's part of the problem, but a way different topic, and maybe one that some of the regular thread starters may want to think about.

The bar has actually been lowered to the Cowboys winning a playoff game