OT Fabini & CB/FS Coleman's future with the Cowboys??

sago1

Reaction score
Understand it's very early in TC and much will change as we move along & into the preseason games, but I want to talk about the future of Jason Fabini & Marcus Coleman with the Cowboys. Both were brought in as starters at RT & FS, but it seems things are beginning to change in regard to how much either can help this team.

1. OT: Reportedly Fabini did not look good in minicamps & so far in TC that continues. One report said Parcells demoted Fabini to 3rd string yesterday to make him an example. Now Fabini is a vet who might easily simply not be putting his best out there & TC has barely begun so he's got lots of time, but what happens if he doesn't improve? Hope Cowboys continue to check out any other OTs who become available just in case--unless of course Fabini's less then stellar performance to date is better then anything else out there. Sure hope Pettiti and Colombo develop into the quality players we want them to be. And maybe we need develop McQuistan as fast as his talent will allow.

2. CB/FS: Haven't heard much about Marcus Coleman's performance so far but we've started hearing quite a bit about Pat Watkins from Parcells--that's much earlier then even I hoped for cause I'm really rooting for Watkins. Most of us thought Coleman was brought in to start at FS but Parcells playing him at CB & not giving him reps at FS cause Parcells wants Watkins to get all the reps he can. Watkins is still on 3rd team behind Davis & Pile but I'd expect that to change soon. Anyway at CB, we all know Newman & Henry are locks & Reeves looking real good; A.Glenn seemed look better yesterday. That leaves Coleman as #5 CB & possible FS backup behind Davis & hopefully Watkins. In my mind the only way Coleman hangs on would be if Nate Jones (do we have any other young CBs?) doesn't step it up.

Realize it's waaaaayyyyy too early to even raise possibility that Cowboys won't keep either Fabini or Coleman (and no doubt many on this board are going to jump all over me about even bringing this matter up cause they'll point at me as one of those "the sky is falling" posters) but what else should we be discussing at this point. Also, Parcells has sprung surprises in past seasons by cutting vets to keep younger players who showed some talent. I'm just getting an early bid in that one or both of these players might not make the team. Now I'm going to cover my head while the flack comes down on me.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I agree... Sounds like Fabini might not make it. That would hurt after giving him a decent contact.

But I think Coleman will stick, not because he's a very good player, but because I don't think Beriault's knee is going to make it.

Canadian BoyzFan

Reaction score
Fabiani has been a huge disapointment for me. Thought for sure he would start. Sure isn't looking that way right now.

ravidubey

Reaction score
Too early to tell on Fabini, Rivera, and Kosier, but yeah it sounds like they are average players. In fact, none of our OL stands out much in a positive way. They are going to need teamwork and help from the skill positions and TE's to succeed. Hopefully, greater balance in multiple dimensions: run v pass; left side vs right side; and short, deep, and intermediate will help greatly. Defenses will have a harder time stacking any one place-- makes me wish Payton (or drool, Norv Turner) was still coordinator.

pittdawg

Proud Father
Reaction score
ravidubey said:
Too early to tell on Fabini, Rivera, and Kosier, but yeah it sounds like they are average players. In fact, none of our OL stands out much in a positive way. They are going to need teamwork and help from the skill positions and TE's to succeed. Hopefully, greater balance in multiple dimensions: run v pass; left side vs right side; and short, deep, and intermediate will help greatly. Defenses will have a harder time stacking any one place-- makes me wish Payton (or drool, Norv Turner) was still coordinator.

are you saying they should play as a team? i like that and think you are 100 % correct.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
I don't know what to make of the Fabini and Coleman "demotions" -- it could be that Bill wants to get younger guys more playing time.

NorTex

Reaction score
It all comes down to injuries in TC...waaaaay too early to judge.

wileedog

Reaction score
Fabini's an older guy coming of an injury. He hasn't played football in a while, so I'm not horribly surprised he's taking a little longer to round into shape.

I'll start worrying if he's still struggling after the 2nd pre-season game.

Also, remember, the ideal for the Cowboys is for Pettiti to grab the RT spot and have Fabini as depth on both sides, and initial reports on Rob seem relatively positive. That's not to say its a good thing if Fabini is worse than expected, but hopefully he'll mostly be depth when the season starts.

Reaction score
Actually Rivera is close to what he was before injury, He'll be fine. Give Fabini a couple of more weeks sometimes it takes a little longer for vets

boysfanindc

Reaction score
abersonc said:
I don't know what to make of the Fabini and Coleman "demotions" -- it could be that Bill wants to get younger guys more playing time.

I think they stated as much on Coleman, playing him at CB to give the younger guys some reps, mainly Watkins, problem for Coleman is Watkins may be playing into a starters role.

I think Coleman stick just because he is versatile

AbeBeta

Reaction score
boysfanindc said:
I think Coleman stick just because he is versatile

especially given that Beriault is already limping and favoring his knee. I hate to say it but that kid may never see the field again.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Fabini hasn't played football since something like November and he looks rusty? Shocking.

I think he'll round into form and hopefully be the game day swing tackle provided Petitti can outright win the job.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Coleman is just insurance. It will be great if someone else can step it up and make Coleman expendable.

sago1

Reaction score
Actually I've seen some reporting that Riveria is playing much better this year so I left him off any consideration that he won't be around cause I think he definitely will be here, at least thru 07 season. As for Kosier, I'm just waiting for him to feel familiar with his teammates & OL structure cause don't see him in any peril--unlike Fabini. I mentioned Fabini's future cause he standing out so far because of his poor play. The other guys like Kosier just look average at this his point. I'm not ragging on our OL just think Fabini might be in trouble if he can't step it up.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I think Coleman will make it, mainly because Bariualt won't. I think his knees won't hold up. Fabini will be a big name cut. Columbo is going to be the back up to pettiti and I think its going to be a tough competition between those two. My surprise players on the OL are proctor and McQUistan. McQuistan will make it as a back up LT and guard. Proctor will be the back up guard that might push for some playing time.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chocolate Lab said:
I agree... Sounds like Fabini might not make it. That would hurt after giving him a decent contact.

Well some got all "ga-ga eyed" over the prospect of signing Fabini. I mean this guy was barely above average even when he was younger and not trying to come back from a major injury. We "panicked" as an organization and could very well take a shot in the wallet because of it.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
junk said:
Fabini hasn't played football since something like November and he looks rusty? Shocking.

I think he'll round into form and hopefully be the game day swing tackle provided Petitti can outright win the job.

I think that would be the best scenario.

But if Lincoln Kennedy is signed that means Fabini is far worse off than any of us could have imagined.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
Well some got all "ga-ga eyed" over the prospect of signing Fabini. I mean this guy was barely above average even when he was younger and not trying to come back from a major injury. We "panicked" as an organization and could very well take a shot in the wallet because of it.
MW, when all the "sign Fabini right now" stuff was going on at the start of FA, who was the tag team that was anti-sign Fabini? Their names escape me right now.

;)

baj1dallas

Reaction score
I disagree with the premise that Fabini was brought in to be the starter. He's there for depth and if Petiti falters. He could certainly be a much better backup LT than Torrin Tucker. I still think he'll make the team, along with Columbo, as backups.

As for Coleman, I'm not sure he makes the team either. There is a lot of depth in the secondary and I think they'd rather go with youth over experience, other things being equal. With the same 5 corners as last year, along with Davis and Watkins as the free safeties, there's not really room for Coleman, especially if Beriault can stay healthy.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:

I don't think "ga ga" is the correct term. But signing a solid, established vet that has the ability to play right and left tackle is a prudent move especially considering the price.

How short people's memories are. Last year's starting right tackle was putrid and the backup left tackle was even worse.

A guy that starts 114 straight games for a running back that collected some serious yardage is probably a little better than "barely above average".

The team hardly "panicked". They signed Fabini to a low rent deal that will have little to no long term affects on the cap status of the team.

I think people are so dead set in their desire to see a player they like succeed that they say will say outlandish things to justify it in their mind.