OT Fabini & CB/FS Coleman's future with the Cowboys??

sago1

Reaction score
First off, I don't object at all to Parcells bringing in some of his former players who can help us out. Not to do so is stupid. I guess we should cut Terry Glenn right away and feel so proud of ourselves cause we got rid of an over 30 player. Of course we'd have to watch most of the other teams line up to sign him for big bucks. Parcells brought Keyshawn in cheap and we eventually cut him (tomake room for the over 30 TO) & Keyshawn signs with Panthers for more money then we paying him. And I'd rather have Bledsoe then at least 15-20 of the other QBs in the NFL. And CB Aaron Glenn, he was absolutely awful last year, right? so let's cut him.

Has Parcells brought in former players who haven't contributed as much as we hoped; answer is yes but most times he has selected well. As matter of fact, I wish he had brought in more of his former Jet players, in particular their starting center--Mawai (sp)--who could mentor whichever of the 2 (Johnson/Gurode) we decided to keep while Mawai was our starting center. Of course there some other good centers (not anywhere near as expensive as Bentley) who we should have at least taken a look at.

As for the draft, frankly we have been light on the offensive side of the ball & frankly on the OL. Some of you say only Colledge (sp) could have helped us this year, but 1-2 of other OL might have helped cause we forcefeeding 7th round pick McQuisten & 2 yr PS player Cory Proctor so why not use a higher pick to get a player who further along then a 7th rounder. And no I don't want to give up any of the players we drafted cause we need them all, including our 2 7th rounders (unfortunately Whitely now on IR) but now we got to wait for next year's draft or pay the money to sign a GOOD FA OL.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
junk said:
And I agree on signing free agents over 30....if that is the plan to fix the hole. Fabini obviously isn't the long term answer, but what do you do if you are unsure if Petitti/Colombo are going to pan out? You want to continue to develop them while still having an option that won't cripple the team as tackle did last year.
You make OT the focus of your Day 1 draft. We didn't and I knew we weren't going to. The reason to me is obvious and always has been.

junk said:
Sure, it is a concern, but that is why they didn't pay him anything. He also played 114 games. You don't play through an injury or two with a streak like that.
No you don't. Let me ask this though. Is there a magic line in number of games played where the performance starts to dip? See, I don't think so. I wasn't impressed with Fabini the last couple of years and felt the Jets should replace him. Apparently they did too. I feel his injury was the final straw with them. Just my opinion.

junk said:
Well, that is quite the optimistic approach.
Don't know what to tell you junk. I'm not what you'd call an eternal optimist. If that makes me a bad person, then I guess I'm a bad person. I'm not going to apologize for having strong football opinions.

junk said:
Yet you are rooting for Petitti to win the job full time? Did you see him play last year?
First of all I am also rooting for Fabini and every other athlete wearing our colors. I always have and I always will. I believe I can still be critical when they aren't living up to what it takes.

Yes, I saw Petitti play last year and I did not agree with the assessments of many on this forum. I saw good run blocking and room for improvement.

junk said:
Do a search for my post on OL. High draft picks and throwing big money at the OL rarely works. Schaffer was the only other tackle candidate I can think of off the top of my head and he got big money as a LT candidate.
Rarely works? Do you have a stat somewhere that says drafting OL on day 1 is a recipe for failure? I don't buy into the you must have an OL all drafted on Day 1 theory. However, if you want to plug a gaping hole it is a proven recipe. Is it immediate? Nope.

junk said:
Really? I must have imagined the plethora of sacks that the tackles were giving up. Must have been an illusion that the offense went in the crapper once Flozell went down.
I must have imagined them playing better when Flozell was there and the stories of his return in 2006. Torrin Tucker is gone. Sayonara, thank you for giving your best. Good luck Tampa Bay if you need to use him. Apparently the Dallas Cowboys do not agree with your assessment that RT was as bad.

junk said:
Spending big money on interior linemen is a serious mistake in my opinion. Again, search for my offensive line thread (about how the top lines in the NFL have been built). Paying Steinbach 5-6 million per year is a much bigger mistake than signing Fabini as a potential stop gap tackle. He isn't available yet anyway, so why are we discussing him like he was even an option?
I started discussing him after a Ben Maller note, linked to an article, that said Cincy might be interested in shopping him. I don't agree with you on "serious mistake" though. I think a hole is a hole and with an immobile QB a hole right up the middle only means the defender can get to him faster than around the edge.

junk said:
It does come back to Petitti. Like any fan, I hope he pans out. Last year didn't leave me with a lot of optimism. I'm glad he worked hard and seems to have improved physically, but I think he has a lot more fans around here because his Dad posts around here. It probably shouldn't be due to his performance.
I guess you will need to explain to me who Montavious Stanley's dad on this forum is then, because I am rooting for him to win the NT job. Will he? I doubt it.

Who was Beriault's dad last year when I was openly rooting for him to win the FS job?

Who was Chris Canty's dad when I rooted for him to be the steal of the Draft and be our starting DE?

Who is Watkins' dad this year for FS?

Who was Larry Brown's dad so many years ago when I was thrilled that he got the starting CB job?

I root for the late round Draft picks to be steals. It's just the way I'm wired. It has nothing whatsoever to do with the man's father being a member here. Not one blessed thing. On top of that I saw something in the kid.

junk said:
It's just like the Quincy fans. Any threat to their guy and the competition is the enemy.
Sorry junk, this was less accurate than a scud missile. If you tell me right now that we can have the best RT in the game of football straight up for Greg Ellis I'm going to be giddy to see a deal done. I have no loyalty to any player if a better option can be had. I had a friend on this team a few years ago. We drafted a guy clearly superior and my friend got cut. I was thrilled because the team got better.

junk said:
Sure, I hope so too. There have also been a lot of hard workers that didn't make it in the NFL though.
Sure have. I still respect effort. I respected it in Q. If the effort doesn't make him a better player then move on. I'll be fine with it. Right now I'd say the kid is about to prove a lot of folks wrong. Good for him. Better for the team which is more important to me every time.

junk said:
Vinny also played in the league for 19 years. Parcells may have been on to something regarding his conditioning.

A guy with that kind of knowledge and a familiarity with what Parcells likes to do is like having another coach on the field and in the film room. I fail to see how that isn't a good thing.
I don't know, 6-10 and a QB who at the end of 2004 looked like he had a wet noodle for an arm just didn't do much for me. 2004 was probably my least favorite year as a fan. A lot of that has to do with Vinny and his free ride.

junk said:
So, if Fabini never measures up physically and gets cut, yet Petitti credits him for developing him into a tackle, is it a bad signing then?
Why is this even a question? The story has been that Marco Rivera has taken him under his wing, not Fabini. I'm not thrilled with Marco yet, but I appreciate this fact about him. Now you need to invent a scenario where he has worth that I need to acknowledge?

junk said:
And who has looked good on the OL? Defense is always ahead of the offense. Especially if you haven't played since November. I'll wait and see myself before I make rash declarations after 4 practices.
So will I. As I said last post. I was mostly just joking around with MW because we took a lot of crap for not being all blue and silver happy about acquiring him.

junk said:
Right. I like seeing QBs sacked too.
Gets the juices flowing. I like them better when we sack the other guy.

junk said:
Because the options are RT without Fabini are Colombo and Petitti. I know you aren't selling Colombo. You are squarely in Petitti's corner. I don't want the options at a position to be a guy who failed miserably last year and a guy who is trying to overcome a potentially career ending set of injuries. Hence, Fabini.
Actually I'm squarely in the corner of the Dallas Cowboys regardless of who the RT is. I'm of the opinion, key word being opinion, that too many people wrote Petitti off too soon and I'm standing on that opinion. I saw something in the kid I really liked. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

junk said:
What good does Steinbach do this team this year? It is irrelevant to the discussion. Of course, Dallas needs to address the OL.
If they need to address the OL how is talking about an option irrelevant? Is it only relevant if it is a candidate you bring up? Help me out here.

junk said:
I guess I get annoyed see a bunch of back slapping over the poor play of a player that I consider somewhat critical to the team's success.
First of all it was a "bunch" of back slapping. Second it was celebrating poor play. Third it was a joke between MW and I who took a lot of heat. Fourth it is no different than the joking around you and I did when Ty Law signed with the Jets last year. I was joking with a friend. Nothing more.