OT: Hurricane Katrina - Pray for us!!!

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Tuna Helper said:
Manster, be safe. I am in Baton Rouge and we should be on the west side of the storm. Our prayers are with you.

They have not forced an evacuation of Baton Rouge at this time.

Are houses in Baton Rouge designed to withstand hurricane winds? You folks are going to get some huge winds even though the eye is going over New Orleans. Speaking as someone who was 100+ miles inland from a Category 4, it still tore the hell out of our city. I was really shocked how much force it kept across land.

I hope all of you folks stay safe. Get out of dodge if you can. I've found that no one in this country really builds to resist these monster storms until they get hit with one. :(

Reaction score
Manster68 said:
I'm signing off folks.

I had to work last night so there is not going to be an Analysis like I love to do after each game.

I am currently in Gulfport, MS and will be heading east as far as I can on a trickling I-10 with my family.

I know there are several other posters here thatare in this area, so my prayers fo out to you too.

Long live the Cowboys!!!!!

Down here in SW florida, we have been truly spared the last 13 months with all the tropical activity 6 hurricanes and weve gotten some rai and wind...thats all

Katrina came ashore dues east of us but then to the WSW all we got eas some breezy conditions and a few light rain bands

And that was when she was a cat 1 storm

The weather guys are saying the center of this storm is like an f-3 Tornado but 30 or so times wider...

Good luck and God Bless!!

Mitcha68

Reaction score
Good Luck and my prayers are with you.

I live in Fort Lauderdale. We go slammed but my family is safe and sound.

Be careful after the storm. More people die after the storm due power lines and unsafe homes. Be careful driving. There are still about 50% of the traffic lights out down here. I seen some crashes too.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
I'm in the Pensacola area and we just went through Ivan last year. Believe me, people who have never been through a direct hit of a major hurricane have no idea what is coming. Ivan was a 3-4 level hurricane. Katrina looks like she could be a 5. That is scary!!

Be safe on the road.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
CaptainAmerica said:
I'm in the Pensacola area and we just went through Ivan last year. Believe me, people who have never been through a direct hit of a major hurricane have no idea what is coming. Ivan was a 3-4 level hurricane. Katrina looks like she could be a 5. That is scary!!

Be safe on the road.

I've been through one category 5 in my life. (It was actually called a typhoon over there.) This was on an island that required all houses and power poles to be built with thick concrete, that could withstand maintained winds of 150 mph and it still took out water for a week and power for even longer. I can only imagine what it's going to do to a regular city that isn't built like that. When Charlie hit Florida, I noticed the only people who took it serious where the folks who lived through Hurricane Andrew in Miami. You are dead right, you really have no idea how powerful nature is until you go through a direct hit with one of these storms. It is an awesome spectacle. And it's also sad because folks aren't going to take the warning serious and stay and learn the hard way.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
May God protect you, your family, and everyone that is in harms way of the Hurricane.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good luck, I lived in South Florida for 14 years, so I know how you feel, and what a hectic time this is, be safe.

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
This could be the worst we've ever seen.
Please don't take it lightly.

You're in our prayers.

Champsheart

Reaction score
My prayers, and my families prayers are with you, and everyone in the way of this storm.

OMG, I just got done reading on this storm and I feel very scared for folks in that area.

Category 5, New Orleans being evacuated, 28 foot floods possible with waves being higher, and winds of 175 miles per hour.

This thing is no joke!

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
Manster68 said:
I'm signing off folks.

I had to work last night so there is not going to be an Analysis like I love to do after each game.

I am currently in Gulfport, MS and will be heading east as far as I can on a trickling I-10 with my family.

I know there are several other posters here thatare in this area, so my prayers fo out to you too.

And long live the zone posters!!!

You guys ALL get your butts out of there safely. It'll all be there when you all get back.

God bless the masses that will be effected by this storm.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Manster68 said:
I'm signing off folks.

You can give us your analysis when you're back home safe and sound with all your family. No matter how much it is appreciated (and believe me it is) your health and safety is far more important.

Tuna Helper

Benched
Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
Are houses in Baton Rouge designed to withstand hurricane winds? You folks are going to get some huge winds even though the eye is going over New Orleans. Speaking as someone who was 100+ miles inland from a Category 4, it still tore the hell out of our city. I was really shocked how much force it kept across land.

I hope all of you folks stay safe. Get out of dodge if you can. I've found that no one in this country really builds to resist these monster storms until they get hit with one. :(

No, the houses around here are typical of what you find in the south. We have brick all around, but that doesn't mean anything. The eye looks like it is headed straight for us, but still no evacuation yet.

I lived through Andrew in 1992, but this is much worse.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I'm going to ride it out in Hattiesburg. I'm about 70 miles north of the coast and have been through quite a few here. No worry about storm surge ovbiously... but the winds could be still very significant by the time they get here.

It's time to hunker down and ride it out. Wish me and my family luck!

Hopefully, I'll be able to log back on in a couple of days and give ya'll the lowdown.

Talk to ya'll then.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
There are times in life where we all learn to bond as one; this is such a time.

Please take good care. We'll all be pulling for your safe return.

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
AsthmaField said:
I'm going to ride it out in Hattiesburg. I'm about 70 miles north of the coast and have been through quite a few here. No worry about storm surge ovbiously... but the winds could be still very significant by the time they get here.

It's time to hunker down and ride it out. Wish me and my family luck!

Hopefully, I'll be able to log back on in a couple of days and give ya'll the lowdown.

Talk to ya'll then.

Asthma - you and your family stay safe man!

It wouldn't hurt you to get gone for a while just in case.

If you chose to stay, God Bless and good luck to you.

S. Fla Sting

Reaction score
Hello all my Southern friends and Cowboy fans, I would like to take time to warn any of my friends in Lous., Miss., Tex. and Ala.. This storm is no joke, this hurricane will devastate anything in its path. Take heed and take every pre-caution you can. I know this is a football website but I have seen first hand what these storms can do as I live in Sarasota FLA. My family and I are just getting our lives back to normal after last years storms ripped apart our house and our lives. So please take this thing serius. I have seen houses, trees, fences, and buildings shredded to confedy through category 3 storms, this is a category 5. My prayers are with all of you.
Pete

wiccgypsy1

Reaction score
good luck brother and be safe. i live in central florida so i know what you are going through. get somewhere safe and dig in.