OT (Sort of): Big XII Championship

Draegerman

Internet Somebody
Reaction score
Wow, does anybody else think that is as meaningless of a game as much as I do? Currently, they're a little more than halfway through the 3rd quarter and already Texas is leading Colorado by a score of 70 - 3!

And it's not like we're all shocked with the score so far. Everybody knew that Texas was the heavy favorite going in to this matchup (having already beaten the Buffaloes by a large margin in the regular season).

What I do think is important is how badly Vince Young needed a great game here if he is to have any chance at winning the Heisman Trophy. Last week on Thursday against A&M, his team didn't fare too well and the media shifted it's focus from Vince as the clear frontrunner for the Heisman back to Reggie Bush of USC (who's combined 500 yards against Fresno St. gave him the edge again).

It was noted earlier that Vince was more like the MVP in the league rather than a Heisman candidate (given to the best player in college), but I don't agree. To me, Vince Young has demonstrated his worthiness for the Heisman in every game but the A&M victory (which has always been a tough game regardless of their collective records).

Time will tell, but if I was a sportswriter who had a vote for the Heisman, I wouldn't be so quick to write off Vince in favor of Reggie Bush just yet.

Having said that, let's see what Bush can do in the late game today as his team faces UCLA - then let the voting begin.

HOOK'EM!

Draegerman

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
yea, thanks a lot iowa state!!!

thanks a lot for making this the worst big 12 championship known to mankind.

couldn't even beat the freaking jayhawks.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
I'm a Notre Dame fan, but I'm also a Texan so...

GO 'HORNS!

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Draegerman said:
Wow, does anybody else think that is as meaningless of a game as much as I do? Currently, they're a little more than halfway through the 3rd quarter and already Texas is leading Colorado by a score of 70 - 3!

And that's no dog team the Horns are doing that to...

Draegerman

Internet Somebody
Reaction score
Another thing that gave me cause for concern. Texas could have probably beaten Colorado with their third string players suited up and playing out there today. But Mack Brown has this fierce loyalty to Young and is passionate in his beliefs about why he should win the Heisman.

So with all the talk about Reggie Bush now being the frontrunner in the Heisman voting, he had no choice but to play Vince today so he could showcase his skills again; reminding everyone why he should win the Heisman.

Texas is just fortunate that there were no significant injuries incurred as a result of playing their starters in this meaningless game today.

And the silver-lining in all of this is that if Vince doesn't win the Heisman this year or if somehow UT loses to USC in the BCS Championship, then maybe it'll solidify his decision to remain with Texas for his senior year.

I firmly believe that Young needs another year under his belt in college if he's ever to have any chance at success as a pro quarterback in the NFL.

ghosttown cowboy

Wyoming's #1 boys fan
Reaction score
silverbear said:
And that's no dog team the Horns are doing that to...

Colorado is a joke, they got blown out by Nebraska and backed into the champ game again. I would take the texas 6A champ over the buffs today. Texas is a good team and they played well today, but they hammered a sorry Colorado team.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Did the running up of the score (looked like they weren't even trying to, but did in spite of themselves) have anything to do with the BCS formula...points scored component... is it still possible that Texas can overcome USC as the top ranked? Or are the standings 'final' now?

If UCLA grows a defense over the next three hours, and Texas scored so many points today..will it effect the final standings? Both USC and Texas are goin to the Rose Bowl, regardless.

PS Draegerman, sorry I acted like such a jackarse earlier this week. The name calling was over the top and totally uncalled for. Mea culpa, and that is sincere.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Point differential has been gone from the BCS for a couple of years now.
Its strictly win or lose.

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
PS Draegerman, sorry I acted like such a jackarse earlier this week. The name calling was over the top and totally uncalled for. Mea culpa, and that is sincere.[/QUOTE]

did you get a little snooty ltn?

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
burmafrd said:
Point differential has been gone from the BCS for a couple of years now.
Its strictly win or lose.

Well, that's probably good....the teams who didn't play 'anybody' when they scheduled their out of-conference games were must been cleaning up on it.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
lanecity1975 said:
did you get a little snooty ltn?
More like a lot wacko.

My annual late season meltdown. :rolleyes:

I should be banned every late November.

My apologies to the baord as well for the middle school crap.

Draegerman

Internet Somebody
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
Did the running up of the score (looked like they weren't even trying to, but did in spite of themselves) have anything to do with the BCS formula...points scored component... is it still possible that Texas can overcome USC as the top ranked? Or are the standings 'final' now?

If UCLA grows a defense over the next three hours, and Texas scored so many points today..will it effect the final standings? Both USC and Texas are goin to the Rose Bowl, regardless.

PS Draegerman, sorry I acted like such a jackarse earlier this week. The name calling was over the top and totally uncalled for. Mea culpa, and that is sincere.

The only way that the standings can now be affected is if USC finds a way to lose against an inferior UCLA team. If that happens, then don't be surprised if USC drops from #1 to possibly #3 or lower and won't go to the BCS Championship (same would have happened to UT if they had lost today). Even if USC wins today in a close one, little will change in the BCS standings (re: still remain #1) because they're playing a more difficult opponent. You're right about Texas not intentionally running up the scoreboard today, turnovers can be blamed for that and the fact that CU has a crappy defense. Mix that in with UT having the best scoring offense in college, makes for a long day for the Buffaloes. No, this really had more to do with showcasing Vince's skills than anything else (even though he was pulled early in the 3rd quarter).

As far as the apology goes, no need to. I was wrong as well and said so to BrainPaint in a pm. The way that I look at it, I know why you said some of the things that you did and it's understandable. In your eyes, I was either some "troll" coming on here that wanted to bash Irvin or someone who was just trying to take advantage of a bad situation and perhaps make a name for myself by being linked to his arrest through my brother's actions.

For that, you're owed an apology as well.

As far as I'm concerned, we have a really important football game coming up and the last thing that we need are silly distractions like this one causing disruption on the forum. So let's put this mess behind us so we can all collectively (as Cowboy fans) make a concerted effort and focus on the game at hand.

Take care,

Draegerman

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
One injury away - and lets revist the Price cut....

Either Price asked to be cut or he whined about PT -

Trip

Reaction score
jigernt09 said:
i think its safe to say Reggie Bush is mr. heisman after that performance

Yep. I don't see any way he doesn't get it now. I was hoping for Vince but it ain't going to happen.

Draegerman

Internet Somebody
Reaction score
Trip said:
Yep. I don't see any way he doesn't get it now. I was hoping for Vince but it ain't going to happen.

Unless Leinart can somehow take votes away from his fellow teammate, causing Young to win by default.

But yea, I'll have to agree that it looks like Reggie is going to take it this year.

It's a pity that the sportswriters will have to cast their votes for the Heisman before these guys can square off against one another in the BCS Championship. Perhaps Young and his fellow Longhorns can use this as motivation even though I'm sure it's not needed.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
ghosttown cowboy said:
Colorado is a joke, they got blown out by Nebraska and backed into the champ game again. I would take the texas 6A champ over the buffs today. Texas is a good team and they played well today, but they hammered a sorry Colorado team.

Colorado went 7-5 this year, which is hardly a "dog team"... I didn't say they were top 25 caliber, but usually the only time ANYBODY beats another team by a score like 70-3, the losing team is very, very bad...

Of course, what USC did to UCLA is just about as brutal, given that UCLA is a bit better than Colorado is...

That Rose Bowl is gonna be one ENTERTAINING game, between two very good teams... Texas actually has an offense that can equal USC's, the only team in the nation that could make that claim with a semi-straight face, and the Horns' defense is clearly superior... so even if I wasn't a Horns fan, and if I was a betting man, my money would be on Texas in that game...