OT: Stupid things that commentators say

kmd24

Reaction score
Some buddies and I were talking about this on Saturday, but I was reminded about it tonight when Salisbury said the one thing I hate the most on Sportscenter

I don't know who said it first (probably Madden), but the commentator who first said that receivers or defensive backs jump to catch the ball at its highest point should be drawn and quartered.

The highest point of the ball occurs about halfway between the receiver and the quarterback.

Players should time their jumps so that the ball arrives at the highest point of their jump.

The statement itself is stupid enough, but folks that mindlessly parrot this misstatement are even stupider.

[/rant]

I just needed to vent.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
The all time gaff was by the late Great Harry Caray of Chicago Cubs fame.

In HS my best friend was a Cubs fan. On days when the Cubs had a Wrigley game we'd go to his house for lunch and watch.

One day the cameras kept showing this young couple in the stands kissing. Steve Stone and Harry were calling the game.

Camera shows the pitch. Camera jumps to young couple kissing. Back to the pitch. Back to the kissing. Back to the pitch. Back to the kissing.

This went on for a couple of minutes.

Finally Harry rather innocently stuck his foot in his mouth. I am not making this up.

Harry: "I think I've figured this out. He's kissing her on the strikes and she's kissing him on the balls."

There was dead silence on WGN for at least 2 minutes. I spit baloney sandwich all over Tim's house. He had Coke running out of his nose.

When they finally came back from silence Steve Stone could still barely contain himself. He took such a deep breath before he tried to get back to the game.

Tim and I decided to ditch the rest of the day. Damn I miss Harry.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Hostile said:

In HS my best friend was a Cubs fan. On days when the Cubs had a Wrigley game we'd go to his house for lunch and watch.

One day the cameras kept showing this young couple in the stands kissing. Steve Stone and Harry were calling the game.

Camera shows the pitch. Camera jumps to young couple kissing. Back to the pitch. Back to the kissing. Back to the pitch. Back to the kissing.

Finally Harry rather innocently stuck his foot in his mouth. I am not making this up.

Harry: "I think I've figured this out. He's kissing her on the strikes and she's kissing him on the balls."

There was dead silence on WGN for at least 2 minutes. I spit baloney sandwich all over Tim's house. He had Coke running out of his nose.

When they finally came back from silence Steve Stone could still barely contain himself. He took such a deep breath before he tried to get back to the game.

:lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2:

Jimz31

The Sarcastic One
Reaction score
Hostile said:

That is HILARIOUS! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2:

Natedawg44

Reaction score
Fricking hilarious

Hey check out the kid in the Sombrero

Marty Lemmer (Mark Lemke) now up to bat for the Braves, he hit .528 (.258) last year. Hey that's kinda high.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile said:

That's freaking hilarious Hos.

Man, some of the stories you post. I can't even time how long I laughed... :lmao2:

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile said:

OK now you owe me a new keyboard after I just knocked my Coke over and it spilled all over. Damn funny Hos!!!!!