OTA observations

stilltheguru

Reaction score
In a salary cap environment, teams can’t afford to wait for year 3 or 4. Either they show it or they don’t. And Wright showed so poorly that they went to every other corner on the roster. And then went out and traded for a pricey veteran. That tells us all we need to know.
One corner they didn't go back to is Joseph. So what does that tell you smart guy?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You're always going to have players who need more than 2 years at the bottom of the roster. Every team has those players. 3rd year guys who haven't shown much yet. Even with 4 year contracts. Development is still important.
Teams can’t afford to nor should they wait. They’ve shown what they think of Wright, by trading for Gilmore and then drafting Scott. Wright very likely won’t make this year’s 53. He’s a bust.

Big_D

Reaction score
Teams can’t afford to nor should they wait. They’ve shown what they think of Wright, by trading for Gilmore and then drafting Scott. Wright very likely won’t make this year’s 53. He’s a bust.

These players exist around the league. There are plenty of year 3s on this roster that need to show something. You can point to Wright but it doesn't matter. Every team will continue developing players like that. There isn't a large enough turnaround to think you're gonna strike gold every year or be deep enough to not need development. It's very wishful thinking. The draft nets 2 starters probably on average and you get maybe a handful of free agents every year. That bottom of the roster is the one thing the team can actually afford to pay.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
You’re free to think whatever you like, but to me that was McClay falling on the sword and being a ‘company man’. And that ultimately worked out well for him, as he’s been promoted and well compensated since.
That's exactly what happened. He wasn't going to go on air and say that's on the coaches.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nahshon Wright was a massive reach. This is news only around here. He was borderline draftable but our coordinator has a length fetish and too much influence.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
These players exist around the league. There are plenty of year 3s on this roster that need to show something. You can point to Wright but it doesn't matter.
I’m ‘pointing’ to Wright because that’s who the conversation is about. So it certainly does matter.

Every team will continue developing players like that. There isn't a large enough turnaround to think you're gonna strike gold every year or be deep enough to not need development. It's very wishful thinking. The draft nets 2 starters probably on average and you get maybe a handful of free agents every year. That bottom of the roster is the one thing the team can actually afford to pay.

I have no idea what you tried to say here.

Big_D

Reaction score
I’m ‘pointing’ to Wright because that’s who the conversation is about. So it certainly does matter.

I have no idea what you tried to say here.
You're still developing 3rd year players which you said can't happen in the salary cap era. Wright is just 1 example.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You're still developing 3rd year players which you said can't happen in the salary cap era. Wright is just 1 example.
That’s not what I said.

At all.

I said that players need to show the team something to prove they deserve to stick around. Because teams can’t wait for year five when players hit free agency.

Wright hasn’t shown anything to indicate he deserves another ‘year of development’.