Our corners are alright we need some safties

jblaze2004

Reaction score
just move ball back to corner he is not good at the safty position.

I dont think its the corners. I mean yeah corners get beat but most of the time its the safties that was suppose to give the corner help and our safties just are not providing help to our corners. I dont know if its because our linebacker coverage is not good or what.
for ex: When Drew Bree threw the touchdown pass to lance moore who jenkins had pretty good coverage on. But guess who was the saftey that bit on the playaction when he was suppose to provide help in the middle of the field? no not Ball, Sensabaug did. Dree Brees saw sensabaugh cheating on a inside route and he threw it pass him on a perfect pass to Lance moore. Sensabaugh almost kinda set a pick on jenkins.
With a good saftey play, a good scheme and pass rush our secondary would look alot better. I think jenkins hit a wall and will be back to being good next year.

So personaly I think we need to get better in the trenches. The D-line and O-line and maybe a tough physical middle linebacker with good coverage skills and we will be back to top dawg.

Bring me Nick fairley and a saftey in the second round. In free agency pick up a good Guard, or move Gurode to guard and get a center in free agency and draft a Tackle (if Sam Young doesn't show he can handle the job).

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Better safeties, MLB play, and an overall better pass rush and our corners will be much improved. I know that sounds like a lot to fix rather than just upgrading the corners, but any corners will struggle when stranded like ours are.

jblaze2004

Reaction score
Future;3721882 said:
Better safeties, MLB play, and an overall better pass rush and our corners will be much improved. I know that sounds like a lot to fix rather than just upgrading the corners, but any corners will struggle when stranded like ours are.

exactly...we do not create constant pressure. Another d-lineman like Nick fairley next to ratliff and spencer step up his game big time then it will be money in the bank.

birdwells1

Reaction score
jblaze2004;3721877 said:
just move ball back to corner he is not good at the safty position.

I dont think its the corners. I mean yeah corners get beat but most of the time its the safties that was suppose to give the corner help and our safties just are not providing help to our corners. I dont know if its because our linebacker coverage is not good or what.
for ex: When Drew Bree threw the touchdown pass to lance moore who jenkins had pretty good coverage on. But guess who was the saftey that bit on the playaction when he was suppose to provide help in the middle of the field? no not Ball, Sensabaug did. Dree Brees saw sensabaugh cheating on a inside route and he threw it pass him on a perfect pass to Lance moore. Sensabaugh almost kinda set a pick on jenkins.
With a good saftey play, a good scheme and pass rush our secondary would look alot better. I think jenkins hit a wall and will be back to being good next year.

So personaly I think we need to get better in the trenches. The D-line and O-line and maybe a tough physical middle linebacker with good coverage skills and we will be back to top dawg.

Bring me Nick fairley and a saftey in the second round. In free agency pick up a good Guard, or move Gurode to guard and get a center in free agency and draft a Tackle (if Sam Young doesn't show he can handle the job).

I agree, if we get better safties then our cb play will improve. I don't think our cb's have any faith in our safeties and that's a big part of the problem.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I mostly agree with the OP. Newman has been hurt and has just not been himself. Jenkins has regressed. And the two safeties are marginal. Also the DBs have poor coaching IMO. This is a big deal. We need competition at DB. We mostly do need a better pass rush. The ILBs don't cover well and don't blitz well. Brooking needs to be replaced. We need a nickel LB. We need another pass rusher and Spencer needs to be taught well or replaced.

lostinomiya

Reaction score
jblaze2004;3721877 said:

hmmm..almost verbatim what vela said on his page....

21Savage

newnationcb
Reaction score
jobberone;3721950 said:
I mostly agree with the OP. Newman has been hurt and has just not been himself. Jenkins has regressed. And the two safeties are marginal. Also the DBs have poor coaching IMO. This is a big deal. We need competition at DB. We mostly do need a better pass rush. The ILBs don't cover well and don't blitz well. Brooking needs to be replaced. We need a nickel LB. We need another pass rusher and Spencer needs to be taught well or replaced.

You say the ILBs don't cover well and in the same breath say Brooking needs to be replaced when in fact he's had very good coverage all year and might be our best coverage LB, even at his age.

Hypocritical much?

Wrangler87

Reaction score
I just don't think Sense got terrible over night. I think a lot of the struggles of our secondary is directly related to Ball, whether players are trying to cover for his deficiencies or he is not in the right spot and the other DB's are playing differently than they normally would.

I would never draft a FS in the first round to fix this problem. Almost all rookie DB's struggle at least one year in the NFL, if not more. I do not want a repeat of this season with a new name while he learns the ropes.

I think you pay the money and sign the best available youg FS on the market. I think Sense will improve next year, and even some of the corner might play better with a good FS back there.

You use the draft for O-line, LB, and CB depth.....and maybe a kicker.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
While Brooking had a decent game against the Saints in coverage he has been awful most of the year. He doesn't have the quickness and speed to cover anymore. We just totally disagree and I'd bet most people on this forum recognize the need to improve at ILB next year. Esp with Brooking. Let's hope Lee is up to the task next year. And James isn't great in coverage either although I don't see him being replaced next year.

cml750

Reaction score
We desperately need to upgrade the safety position. We have not had a GOOD safety in a long time. A good safety would make our entire secondary look better as would a better pass rush. I believe our pass rush issues can be cured by moving to a 4-3. Lining Ware and and Ratliff up on the same side would create havoc for offensive lines. Think Charles Haley and Leon Lett version 2.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I sincerely doubt we are switching to a 4-3. We just need someone opposite Ware to pick it up. And for the DE to do a little better. While I don't expect a lot of pass rush from the DE position in the 3-4 we could do a little better.

dwmyers

Reaction score
jobberone;3721994 said:
While Brooking had a decent game against the Saints in coverage he has been awful most of the year. He doesn't have the quickness and speed to cover anymore.

This was known before Dallas picked him up. It's why Atlanta let him go. He's at best a 2 down LB these days.

D-

dwmyers

Reaction score
Fairley and a safety would please me, but we really do need to think seriously about OL depth if we're ever going to win consistently.

Can we draft the line of the future without first rounders? Can we patch LB and the line with free agents and mid round draft picks?

Can Fairley play a one gap NT or is he doomed to be a 3-4 DE if drafted?

David.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
dwmyers;3722027 said:
This was known before Dallas picked him up. It's why Atlanta let him go. He's at best a 2 down LB these days.

D-

Which was why I questioned the move to get rid of Carpenter without having his replacement. That may not be popular given the distain for Carpenter but he was a servicable nickel LB.

7footer

Reaction score
I agree that safety is a big concern. However, there isn't a safety talented enough to draft in the first round. Rahim Moore out of UCLA will probably be the first safety picked, and he will likely go in the late first, early second. I would love to take him with our 2nd round pick, but I could see him being gone by then.

The other safety I really want, and believe is very underrated is Ahmad Black from Florida. He is Florida's leading tackler and is a natural leader (something we desperately need in our secondary). He is projected to be picked between the 3rd and 5th rounds, and I think he would be an absolute steal anywhere in that range.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
All 3 CBs (Newman, Jenkins, and Scandrick) have sucked at man-to-man coverage this year.

Newman is done. Jenkins is back to being a wuss and plays like Courtney Brown now. Scandrick is toast most of the time.

The only thing that may help is drafting a top CB like Peterson from LSU or Prince from Nebraska.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
ninja;3722050 said:
All 3 CBs (Newman, Jenkins, and Scandrick) have sucked at man-to-man coverage this year.

Newman is done. Jenkins is back to being a wuss and plays like Courtney Brown now. Scandrick is toast most of the time.

The only thing that may help is drafting a top CB like Peterson from LSU or Prince from Nebraska.

They suck because they've been exposed too often and had too little pass rush. They are pretty good CBs esp when Newman is healthy.

Wrangler87

Reaction score
7footer;3722044 said:
I agree that safety is a big concern. However, there isn't a safety talented enough to draft in the first round. Rahim Moore out of UCLA will probably be the first safety picked, and he will likely go in the late first, early second. I would love to take him with our 2nd round pick, but I could see him being gone by then.

The other safety I really want, and believe is very underrated is Ahmad Black from Florida. He is Florida's leading tackler and is a natural leader (something we desperately need in our secondary). He is projected to be picked between the 3rd and 5th rounds, and I think he would be an absolute steal anywhere in that range.

We cannot draft a first round Safety. Free Agency is the only route there. We need some degree of immediate success from the FS position next year.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
What's the single personnel difference between last year's defense (one of the best in the league) and this year's defense (one of the worst in the league)?