Our corners are alright we need some safties

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I'm not being a hypocrite if I believe neither ILB and especially Brooking is not able to cover well. It's my opinion the vast majority believe the same as I do. Also there is a reason Brooking came off the field last year for Carpenter. That should say it all. The only reason Brooking is on the field on third and long is because no one else worked out in the nickel LB position. It's not because he's a pass covering genius.

You're way out on a limb here. And you're not helping yourself by calling people names.

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
jobberone;3722728 said:
I'm not being a hypocrite if I believe neither ILB and especially Brooking is not able to cover well. It's my opinion the vast majority believe the same as I do. Also there is a reason Brooking came off the field last year for Carpenter. That should say it all. The only reason Brooking is on the field on third and long is because no one else worked out in the nickel LB position. It's not because he's a pass covering genius.

You're way out on a limb here. And you're not helping yourself by calling people names.

No, no, no, didn't you hear? Apparently Webster's has come out with a new definition of the word "hypocrite."

hyp-o-crite [hip-uh-krit]

1. When someone says something that you personally don't agree with they are being a hypocrite.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
jblaze2004;3721877 said:
just move ball back to corner he is not good at the safty position.

I dont think its the corners. I mean yeah corners get beat but most of the time its the safties that was suppose to give the corner help and our safties just are not providing help to our corners. I dont know if its because our linebacker coverage is not good or what.
for ex: When Drew Bree threw the touchdown pass to lance moore who jenkins had pretty good coverage on. But guess who was the saftey that bit on the playaction when he was suppose to provide help in the middle of the field? no not Ball, Sensabaug did. Dree Brees saw sensabaugh cheating on a inside route and he threw it pass him on a perfect pass to Lance moore. Sensabaugh almost kinda set a pick on jenkins.
With a good saftey play, a good scheme and pass rush our secondary would look alot better. I think jenkins hit a wall and will be back to being good next year.

So personaly I think we need to get better in the trenches. The D-line and O-line and maybe a tough physical middle linebacker with good coverage skills and we will be back to top dawg.

Bring me Nick fairley and a saftey in the second round. In free agency pick up a good Guard, or move Gurode to guard and get a center in free agency and draft a Tackle (if Sam Young doesn't show he can handle the job).

I would love to see Fairley at DE...then people would be reminded that DE's in the 3-4 can still be a vital part of the pass rush when they have a pass rush. I'm also high on Safety, DeAndre McDaniel, Clemson's 6-1, 215-pound projected first-round draft choice, with eight interceptions and 102 tackles last season.

This kid played LB as a freshman; he plays SS at Clemson because they love his big hit tackling and blitzing, but he also mans the deep patrol in certain situations and is great in coverage, as his interception totals attest, 15 for his career so far.

He was the only player in college football last year with at least eight interceptions and at least 100 tackles. He was the first player in Clemson history to do both in the same season.

jblaze2004

Reaction score
wayne motley;3722812 said:
I would love to see Fairley at DE...then people would be reminded that DE's in the 3-4 can still be a vital part of the pass rush when they have a pass rush. I'm also high on Safety, DeAndre McDaniel, Clemson's 6-1, 215-pound projected first-round draft choice, with eight interceptions and 102 tackles last season.

This kid played LB as a freshman; he plays SS at Clemson because they love his big hit tackling and blitzing, but he also mans the deep patrol in certain situations and is great in coverage, as his interception totals attest, 15 for his career so far.

He was the only player in college football last year with at least eight interceptions and at least 100 tackles. He was the first player in Clemson history to do both in the same season.

is it clemson scheme that makes the safty have many ints or something because didnt mike hamlin have alot in college. And we know how he turned out. But I just have a question because i really do not watch college football. How do he stack up in the Eric berry, thomas, Nate allen, Bennett...the safties from last year class.
Where would u rank the safties in this class right now to the safties in last year draft?

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
wayne motley;3722812 said:

And he hasn't played that well this season. I don't know what that's going to do to his draft status. He was positioned for the 1-2 round.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
Need a corner and safeties.

Also, I've been watching other teams' safeties a lot lately, and Dallas isn't the only team with poor safety play. It's almost like an epidemic.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
newnationcb;3722242 said:
I don't know what games you guys are watching to say Brooking has been bad in coverage.

One on one with TEs, he's had tight coverage all year. Even balls that have been completed have been done in extremely tight coverage. That's been apparent in the last 2 weeks against Pettigrew and Thomas.

And the hypocritical part comes from wanting to improve our coverage by replacing our best ILB in coverage. Except you want to argue that Brooking hasn't been our best LB in coverage?

I am watching the same stuff that you are. Brooking has issues keeping up with TE 10 yards within the LOS. Thats why you see him being turned around all different ways when the ball gets there. Just because he can flop around and manage(barely) to get a hand on the ball on 5 yard patterns does not indicate good coverage.

He is never asked to do anything down field at which puts more stress on the safeties and so on and so forth. He is very very limited because he just cannot run anymore.

Patton

Benched
Reaction score
Chief;3722869 said:
Need a corner and safeties.

Also, I've been watching other teams' safeties a lot lately, and Dallas isn't the only team with poor safety play. It's almost like an epidemic.

It is. There are 64 starting safeties in the league and you'd be hard pressed to name 10 consistently good ones. The key is just getting someone back there who can make a few plays and isn't a complete liability. A game changer at safety is some kind of commodity.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;3722154 said:
No he hasn't had good coverage all year. We have been making TE look like probowlers all year long. Deep in the middle of the field all year long is not all on the safteties. You cannot ask Brooking and James to cover their zones too deep. Ball just makes it worse because he lets people behind him all the time.

They just cannot run very well. Its stuff like this that makes the combine so important. Sean Lee and AOA can both run. In retrospect this past years draft can be a really good one for this team.

We have had that problem for a long time at ILB they do not get deep enough in their zone which is why we rarely see the tipped Balls for INT from the LB. This has been a weakness for Bradie James since he has been here but when we add another LB with the same issue it compounds the issue