Our DE need

ShiningStar

Reaction score
thats all fine and good, hey the team can bring back Dunbar. Even if this does that and that does this, its sending the same message, "we are not making the SB our goal" and yes i want to be clear, there are some teams that have that mind set. Buffalo and the Eagles do not set out to win the SB, if they do great, if they dont no biggie. Bottom line the Cowboys might have picked up that mind set as well. Jerry is ok making money, Stephen is comfortable, theres no fire to do what it takes to get to a set goal.

Its going to come down, "what do the cowboys set as their goal" and the reality is "how do the fans react"

These commentators all have the same job , keep the fans reading but in reality we all know what we are waiting for, does FA set up the draft, or does the draft set up FA. We wont know til its over. Most of us know Dunbar is a wasted roster post, at this point so is Morris. I mean really, whos getting exited if both Church and Wilcox are back, the mediocrity crowd? possibly? the real fans know the deal, no matter whats said everything is decided at certain junctions. This is not one of one of those junctions.

When the team starts making cuts and getting things ready than i ll be happy.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
It seems like most everyone considers DE to be the most critical need area on the team. It's not a want it's a must get. Early in the draft if not in FA and there doesn't look to be anyone realistic in FA. At least with all their fingers and toes.

Here's the deal though. It's not what you think. It's not what I think. It's what the team thinks that's going to actually shape our offseason.

I'm sure there will be a lot of eye rolling to those tweets but these are two recent draft picks. Lawrence has proven he can play in the league, Tapper hadn't had his chance to fail. There's no reason the Cowboys would feel any differently toward his talent now than they did a year ago drafting him in the 4th round. Both appear healthy and ready to go for next year medically.

So is it possible that while the entire Cowboys fan base views this offseason as pass rusher or bust that the team sees it differently? Not that they will have no interest in a pass rusher at some point but the need isn't nearly as critical as the fans believe it is.

Food for thought. Don't dismiss it. This could easily be true and lead to a lot of Coughlin faces on draft week.

So, the question now becomes, how many CBs do we pick in the first three rounds?

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The point of this thread isn't hey we're set at DE, no worries. It's are most fans setting themselves up for disappointment thinking DE is a much more critical need than the team thinks it is?

Lawrence and Tapper are options they didn't have last year. Lawrence a little, but he was hurt. The team may very well feel better about the position than you do is all I'm saying. I wouldn't hesitate to take a DE at 28 but I've read plenty of people say it's a must and we might even have to move up for one. They may be the remote control hurlers in April.

Shake_Tiller

Reaction score
The point of this thread isn't hey we're set at DE, no worries. It's are most fans setting themselves up for disappointment thinking DE is a much more critical need than the team thinks it is?

Lawrence and Tapper are options they didn't have last year. Lawrence a little, but he was hurt. The team may very well feel better about the position than you do is all I'm saying. I wouldn't hesitate to take a DE at 28 but I've read plenty of people say it's a must and we might even have to move up for one. They may be the remote control hurlers in April.

Regardless of my opinion, I have the feeling this is exactly what the team thinks. I feel certain they will take an edge rusher somewhere in the first 4 rounds, less certain it will be in 1 or 2.

I would guess that they would love to see the draft fall in such a way that an edge rusher they really like is available to them. But I have my doubts they force anyone far above where they have him slotted.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It seems like most everyone considers DE to be the most critical need area on the team. It's not a want it's a must get. Early in the draft if not in FA and there doesn't look to be anyone realistic in FA. At least with all their fingers and toes.

Here's the deal though. It's not what you think. It's not what I think. It's what the team thinks that's going to actually shape our offseason.

I'm sure there will be a lot of eye rolling to those tweets but these are two recent draft picks. Lawrence has proven he can play in the league, Tapper hadn't had his chance to fail. There's no reason the Cowboys would feel any differently toward his talent now than they did a year ago drafting him in the 4th round. Both appear healthy and ready to go for next year medically.

So is it possible that while the entire Cowboys fan base views this offseason as pass rusher or bust that the team sees it differently? Not that they will have no interest in a pass rusher at some point but the need isn't nearly as critical as the fans believe it is.

Food for thought. Don't dismiss it. This could easily be true and lead to a lot of Coughlin faces on draft week.

I don't think the Cowboys will force a pick on a DE. They didn't do it in the last draft when the need was similar.

camaro69

Benched
Reaction score
Yeah Haley had a bad back.

He was also 35 when he retired. Lawrence is 24. Tapper is 23.
I like Tapper a lot when did his back issue's begin? I had my first back surgery at 24 S1 L5. by the time I was 33 I was on surgery #3 Lawrence is 24 and on back surgery #2 if I was the GM I'd draft a DE just in case

phildadon86

Reaction score
Ryan Anderson and Carroll Phillips are the only potential pass rushers they have talked to so far.

It could mean, they will try and sign a pass rusher before the draft and not target one at #28.

Anderson/Phillips are probably slated as later picks etc.
If they don't go DE in round one. I really want to make a move for Hooker. With his injury he may drop far enough for us to move up for him. Him and Jones in the secondary would be awesome to watch.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like Tapper a lot when did his back issue's begin? I had my first back surgery at 24 S1 L5. by the time I was 33 I was on surgery #3 Lawrence is 24 and on back surgery #2 if I was the GM I'd draft a DE just in case

The prognosis on back issues if very dependent on the specific details of the problem.

Tapper's issue is different than what most people with back issues have had. In theory, if it was not the severe version of that condition, then it should heal with no problem. It's basically a hairline fracture. Bones usually heal in young people.

I don't know what type of surgery Lawrence had the 1st time or the 2nd time. Many people these days have arthroscopic back surgery and never have another problem. I don't know if he had the same area operated on or if he just had the same problem with on a different disc.

Western

Reaction score
Why draft the 5th or 6th rated DE, if an impact BPA is an LB is at 28?
Hitchens (last year of his rookie contract), Durant (older player), Gachkar, (role player), Nzeocha (injury history), Wilson (back-up player), & Wilber (drafted in 2012) -- just average guys.

With the uncertainty of Jaylon Smith, the versatility of drafting an LB at 28, who can play all 3 downs should trump the desire of over-drafting for a situational DE.
If available at 28, Zach Cunningham (Vandy) or Ryan Anderson (Bama), imo would be solid picks.

If Jaylon Smith is able to "fire" on all cylinders, solidify the linebacking core into an all-star game-changing play-making unit (just like the OL).

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I wouldn't rely on either of them. If we take a DE and he beats out tank so be it. Good teams don't hold affinity to highly drafted players. Especially ones that don't see the field or make plays when on it.

Another poster mentioned it but I would love a true 1t. I know it won't happen but having a great big plugger inside can only help this team imo.
Having said that I see a CB at 28 in our future

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Is its just me or did a bad back end Haley's career. I hope D Lawrence comes back better but not bigger he looks to Big

After having back surgery, additional back trouble was the main culprit in ending Haley's career (1996) in Dallas. After being out of football for two years, he later returned to put in a 2nd stint with the 49'ers. He served only as a backup there before retiring again in '99.

Demarcus Lawrence reportedly had returned to good health and is anticipating his return to Dallas for another year at DE. I have no idea if his physical conditioning is up to snuff or not, though. I'm sure we'll find out in camp. Tapper has also laid claim to being physically ready and able for another attempt at playing DE for us. I'm just hoping they're both what they claim to be. If so, it might hopefully help our cause.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is its just me or did a bad back end Haley's career. I hope D Lawrence comes back better but not bigger he looks to Big

Yes, but Haley's career ended some 20 years ago... Back surgery has changed a great deal since then.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
After having back surgery, additional back trouble was the main culprit in ending Haley's career in Dallas. After being out of football for two years, he later returned to put in a 2nd stint with the 49'ers. He served only as a backup there before retiring, yet again, at the end of 1999.

Demarcus Lawrence reportedly had returned to good health and is anticipating his return to Dallas for another year at DE. I have no idea if his physical conditioning is up to snuff or not, though. I'm sure we'll find out in camp. Tapper has also laid claim to being physically ready and able for another attempt at playing DE for us. I'm just hoping they're both what they claim to be. If so, it'll hopefully help our cause.

The back is a large area of the body, comparing one's back issues with another is fruitless. Then you have degrees of severity.

All we can do is see how it plays out with Lawrence.

tm1119

Reaction score
Completely agree with this and think people are getting their hopes too high. A lot of talk of going DE/DL rounds 1 and 2 in the draftzone and I think people are getting their hopes way too high

Lawrence
Mayowa
Tapper
Irving
Crawford
Thornton
Collins

Like it or not that's 7 guaranteed roster spots for DL right there and that's not counting McClain/whoever replaces him because we need DT's. So that's 8. We dress 8 or 9 most weeks and won't carry any more than 10. So basically be prepared to be disappointed...again.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wouldn't rely on either of them. If we take a DE and he beats out tank so be it. Good teams don't hold affinity to highly drafted players. Especially ones that don't see the field or make plays when on it.

I wouldn't rely on them (Tapper & Lawrence) either.

Right now I see one legit 4-3 DE (Mayowa) and lot's of question marks...

That being said I wouldn't be surprised if either Lawrence or Tapper came back and were somewhat productive in '17.

That would leave two openings at DE, which will probably be filled by a draft pick and FA signing.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Completely agree with this and think people are getting their hopes too high. A lot of talk of going DE/DL rounds 1 and 2 in the draftzone and I think people are getting their hopes way too high

Lawrence
Mayowa
Tapper
Irving
Crawford
Thornton
Collins

Like it or not that's 7 guaranteed roster spots for DL right there and that's not counting McClain/whoever replaces him because we need DT's. So that's 8. We dress 8 or 9 most weeks and won't carry any more than 10. So basically be prepared to be disappointed...again.

I would expect the Cowboys to draft one DE and sign a free agent.

Personally I think the situation at DT is good.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
The back is a large area of the body, comparing one's back issues with another is fruitless. Then you have degrees of severity.

All we can do is see how it plays out with Lawrence.

Yeah, I wasn't comparing Lawrence and Tapper to Haley -- just answering a question about how Haley's career ended.

I'd agree with your words about back injuries, although, generally speaking, back injuries are often susceptible to re-injury in many cases. I do know Lawrence's injury turned out to be considerably more severe than what was originally thought to be the case. Both he and Tapper seem pretty confident that they'll return successfully, though. Admittedly, that sounds good to me -- it's surely what I wanted to hear.

There's no denying that only time will tell what the future has in store for them, though. I'm just hoping their recovery goes well. I think the upside is there, provided they stay healthy. I'd be inclined to draft a DE at some point anyhow, however, just in case. Securing a pass rush is huge for us.

Last edited: