Our DE need

tm1119

Reaction score
I would expect the Cowboys to draft one DE and sign a free agent.

Personally I think the situation at DT is good.
The DT spot is fine without McCalin/a replacement? If Thornton were to go down we would have Collins, Crawford and Irving capable of playing DT on the roster. I'll be surprised if McClain isn't back, but if he isn't there will definitely be a replacement on the roster for him. Even if that player isn't dressed, I would think there would have to be another DT on the 53.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
Completely agree with this and think people are getting their hopes too high. A lot of talk of going DE/DL rounds 1 and 2 in the draftzone and I think people are getting their hopes way too high

Lawrence
Mayowa
Tapper
Irving
Crawford
Thornton
Collins

Like it or not that's 7 guaranteed roster spots for DL right there and that's not counting McClain/whoever replaces him because we need DT's. So that's 8. We dress 8 or 9 most weeks and won't carry any more than 10. So basically be prepared to be disappointed...again.
That list makes me cringe

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
I'd wager our #1 pick will be a TE or a CB. Or a trade back into the 2nd round.

Personally I'm not all that enamored with the DEs that might be available at 28.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
I would expect the Cowboys to draft one DE and sign a free agent.

Personally I think the situation at DT is good.
I think the DT situation is good if we re-sign McClain.

In any event, I don't think it's in shape to pass up a great prospect that falls to us at any point.

Howboutdemcowboys31

Reaction score
It seems like most everyone considers DE to be the most critical need area on the team. It's not a want it's a must get. Early in the draft if not in FA and there doesn't look to be anyone realistic in FA. At least with all their fingers and toes.

Here's the deal though. It's not what you think. It's not what I think. It's what the team thinks that's going to actually shape our offseason.

I'm sure there will be a lot of eye rolling to those tweets but these are two recent draft picks. Lawrence has proven he can play in the league, Tapper hadn't had his chance to fail. There's no reason the Cowboys would feel any differently toward his talent now than they did a year ago drafting him in the 4th round. Both appear healthy and ready to go for next year medically.

So is it possible that while the entire Cowboys fan base views this offseason as pass rusher or bust that the team sees it differently? Not that they will have no interest in a pass rusher at some point but the need isn't nearly as critical as the fans believe it is.

Food for thought. Don't dismiss it. This could easily be true and lead to a lot of Coughlin faces on draft week.

Did you get laid recently? Unusually positive

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
It seems like most everyone considers DE to be the most critical need area on the team. It's not a want it's a must get. Early in the draft if not in FA and there doesn't look to be anyone realistic in FA. At least with all their fingers and toes.

Here's the deal though. It's not what you think. It's not what I think. It's what the team thinks that's going to actually shape our offseason.

I'm sure there will be a lot of eye rolling to those tweets but these are two recent draft picks. Lawrence has proven he can play in the league, Tapper hadn't had his chance to fail. There's no reason the Cowboys would feel any differently toward his talent now than they did a year ago drafting him in the 4th round. Both appear healthy and ready to go for next year medically.

So is it possible that while the entire Cowboys fan base views this offseason as pass rusher or bust that the team sees it differently? Not that they will have no interest in a pass rusher at some point but the need isn't nearly as critical as the fans believe it is.

Food for thought. Don't dismiss it. This could easily be true and lead to a lot of Coughlin faces on draft week.

Good thread, I like these ones that make you think.
Is Tapper a SDE or WDE ?
I agree, if the FO believes both players are really healthy, then yes DE may not be our 1st pick. But I do think they will draft one in the first 3 rounds. (Would be looking hard at CB if this actually happens).

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
The only positions that would surprise me at #28 are QB, RB, C, G, FB, P, or Kicker. Everything else will be on the table.

My money would be on a LB or CB, possibly a WR if one of the top ones drop and we do not resign Williams.

AzorAhai

Reaction score

I actually expect them to think that way. We'll probably see a CB in the first because of that.
Biggest issue with Lawrence and DE need is 2017 is a walk year and he has had back issues. He is a guy that can notch 10 sack seasons, but you need to make a commitment to him very soon. I dont question him so much for the 2017 season. I do question giving him 12 million a year if he notches a 10 sack season with the health issues he has had
I don't think there's any way he gets an extension/re-signed here regardless of next seasons production. At least not next year. The Cowboys will tag him before giving him an extension on one years production with a bad back. They will force him to do it twice before committing the money a 10 sack DE requires.

RomoFor6

Reaction score
I've said it all along, biggest need is receiver. Butler is going through be our WR2 next year. He shouldn't even be in the league.

Bluefin

Reaction score
Someone on here made a point that we really will not have a ton of open roster spots for DE. It's easy to say we need to add 2-3 pass rushing defensive ends but who do you cut for them?

You don't have to cut anyone right now., and once you get to training camp, you just let things get sorted out.

Right now, we have DeMarcus Lawrence, Benson Mayowa, and Charles Tapper at DE. Maliek Collins and Cedric Thornton are at DT. Tyrone Crawford and David Irving can play both.

That's seven players.

Rod Marinelli prefers to dress eight DL for games in order to have a quality rotation. Ideally, I'd like to keep 10 DL on the 53 man roster and 2-3 more on the practice squad.

There will be multiple factors at play when the initial cut to 53 takes place next September, but there is definitely room to add 3 more DL.

Terrell McClain (29 July), Jack Crawford (29 Sept) and Ryan Davis (28 Feb) are all set to become unrestricted free agents.

McClain's a good player, but Dallas opted to pay Cedric Thornton instead of him last year and he will probably find more money elsewhere. It would be better to add another young DT to the unit instead.

Crawford's a solid utility player without a true home position. I would look to spend some money on a true veteran DE to take his spot.

Davis' spot can go to a draft pick.

RDE: Benson Mayowa, veteran FA, possible rookie
NT: Cedric Thornton, possible rookie
UT: Maliek Collins, Tyrone Crawford (can play together in Nickel a lot)
LDE: DeMarcus Lawrence, David Irving, Charles Tapper

Jason Garrett is big on competition and adding three more legit DL would allow for a lot of it. Starters would be worried about losing snaps to the back-ups and those guys would be fighting with each other every week in order to dress for the game.

robbieruff

Reaction score

I hope more than anything that DLaw pulls a Sean Lee and nips the injury bug he's experienced early on and goes on to be a pro bowl contributor for the foreseeable...and frankly, I have no idea how Sir Charles will pan out other than he appears to be a freakish athlete for his size but I'm not clear on what, if any, long-term issues exist from his back condition...even if it is now technically "fully healed"...

I must admit I am a little on the fence for this upcoming draft/off season...I particularly think we need to make a quantum leap via the draft at DE (Mayowa being our highest paid DE says everything we need to know about the position's current talent level). While I am no draft guru (don't follow the college game like I used to), I'm certainly familiar with the narrative about this draft being deep in DE/Edge players (and DT's for that matter). I must say that I am suffering a little bit from shiny new object syndrome in that I have these visions of packaging Collins and/or Romo and a premium pick and jumping up to get Myles Garrett or some other elite, blue chip DE prospect. Sure, that is wild fantasy at this point but it would be great to get a new DWare or even better...I have some doubts about us being able to do that at the bottom of the first round, despite the apparent depth...I certainly would welcome being pleasantly surprised (Fred Beard style) on the latter score.

My biggest fear is we end up drafting some other surprise pick at the end of round one (e.g., a Jason Witten replacement such as the kid from Bama) as a BPA and then we end up not addressing the issue of DE (and DB for that matter) until round 3 or even later under the auspices that "the board didn't fall that way"...blah blah. In other words, WE MUST find dynamic talent in this draft and the next to solidify any short-/long-term SB aspirations in my view...I don't care how dominant our Oline and running game is (TOP)...we have to change the story on taking the ball away and winning on 3rd down in order to affect outcomes come playoff (money) time.

Fingers crossed...thanks for sharing!

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good thread, I like these ones that make you think.
Is Tapper a SDE or WDE ?
I agree, if the FO believes both players are really healthy, then yes DE may not be our 1st pick. But I do think they will draft one in the first 3 rounds. (Would be looking hard at CB if this actually happens).

I see Tapper as a WDE.

He was one of the most athletic DE's at the combine. He's been timed as fast as 4.59 in the forty and has a quick burst.