Our DE need

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
We'll just disagree. Age is most definitely a factor. Anyone can get hurt. Tapper was born with his issue. How you heal from an injury absolutely has to do with age.

That is true, and going back to most of the players that were mentioned they dealt with their back problems for a long period of time yet still were exceptional players for a good portion of that time.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is definitely frustrating and there isn't an easy answer. We definitely need playmakers on the DL but they just don't come that easily and in particular this year it doesn't seem like there are great pass rushers in free agency nor in the area of the draft where we will be picking.

That means we might have to try trading up to get the guy we want as a pass rusher, or that we just means we may end up reaching for another guy that has issues. The other alternative is try building up the secondary but it seems that idea has been proven an ill advised one. How many teams have really been dominating due to a great secondary?

Hate to say it, but it might be time to make a really bold move. Big trade in draft or big free agent signing at whatever cost.

I do not see that happening... They've tried the "trade-up" repeatedly and just about every time when it involved a DE it blew up in the Cowboy's face.

Certainly the secondary needs attention.

I watched an Atlanta defense sack a terrific QB and pressure him on numerous occasions but their secondary was so awful that it didn't matter.

You need both.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That is true, and going back to most of the players that were mentioned they dealt with their back problems for a long period of time yet still were exceptional players for a good portion of that time.

And again you can't compare back injury diagnoses, surgery and subsequent rehab of today to what they were doing 20 years ago.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
I see us maybe adding 1 DE. It's not as big of a need as most think. I think LB is more of a need. You can't ask Sean Lee to make every tackle his entire. That's what it's seemed like for the last 2 seasons. Hopefully smith is ready.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I see us maybe adding 1 DE. It's not as big of a need as most think. I think LB is more of a need. You can't ask Sean Lee to make every tackle his entire. That's what it's seemed like for the last 2 seasons. Hopefully smith is ready.
They have 4 young guys for what is basically 1 LB job. The SLB only plays a few snaps per game, so most snaps there are just 2 LBs in the game. Lee is one of them. That leaves:
Jaylon Smith - Super Talent if healthy.
Damien Wilson - Played well at SLB. Could move to MLB this year.
Mark Nzeocha - Showed excellent physical abiiity in the preseson but was derailed by injury.
Anthony Hitchens - Reliable but lower upside than the others. Good run down player if they had a coverage type LB to rotate with him.

Whoever does not win the MLB and Nickel LB job, can play SLB. Wilson played 9% of the snaps in the playoff game as the SLB.

DC Cowboy

Reaction score
It seems like most everyone considers DE to be the most critical need area on the team. It's not a want it's a must get. Early in the draft if not in FA and there doesn't look to be anyone realistic in FA. At least with all their fingers and toes.

Here's the deal though. It's not what you think. It's not what I think. It's what the team thinks that's going to actually shape our offseason.

I'm sure there will be a lot of eye rolling to those tweets but these are two recent draft picks. Lawrence has proven he can play in the league, Tapper hadn't had his chance to fail. There's no reason the Cowboys would feel any differently toward his talent now than they did a year ago drafting him in the 4th round. Both appear healthy and ready to go for next year medically.

So is it possible that while the entire Cowboys fan base views this offseason as pass rusher or bust that the team sees it differently? Not that they will have no interest in a pass rusher at some point but the need isn't nearly as critical as the fans believe it is.

Food for thought. Don't dismiss it. This could easily be true and lead to a lot of Coughlin faces on draft week.

I see what you are saying and I kind of agree with the point that we work with what we have and who we draft. I really want us to build through the draft. Try to find a D Lineman with a NASTY attitude.

haleyrules

Reaction score
This. Just remember, Dak did exactly what the goat did. Led his team on an amazing comeback to tie the score with under a minute left.

The difference is Brady's defense came up big and didn't let him down in that last minute. Dak's defense did what most of us expect of the Dallas defense in the highest pressure moment of big games.
Yep. Exactly right.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
And again you can't compare back injury diagnoses, surgery and subsequent rehab of today to what they were doing 20 years ago.

Actually, I think you can. The processes have become more precise and less invasive, but bodies haven't changed over that time and the healing process is the same now as it was then. Any multiple back surgeries to a person in their early 20's has to raise a flag at some point. Maybe he can play at a high level for 4-5 years...or maybe we have already seen the best of Tank.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
They have 4 young guys for what is basically 1 LB job. The SLB only plays a few snaps per game, so most snaps there are just 2 LBs in the game. Lee is one of them. That leaves:
Jaylon Smith - Super Talent if healthy.
Damien Wilson - Played well at SLB. Could move to MLB this year.
Mark Nzeocha - Showed excellent physical abiiity in the preseson but was derailed by injury.
Anthony Hitchens - Reliable but lower upside than the others. Good run down player if they had a coverage type LB to rotate with him.

Whoever does not win the MLB and Nickel LB job, can play SLB. Wilson played 9% of the snaps in the playoff game as the SLB.

All those guys you mentioned are backups. Yes I know it would be functional but if you had lee paired with another " War Daddy " that would be ideal. I'm hoping smith is that guy. We should still draft another LB in the 1st 3 rounds.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Actually, I think you can. The processes have become more precise and less invasive, but bodies haven't changed over that time and the healing process is the same now as it was then. Any multiple back surgeries to a person in their early 20's has to raise a flag at some point. Maybe he can play at a high level for 4-5 years...or maybe we have already seen the best of Tank.

At this point we have no idea what was wrong, what was fixed and what the experts in the profession think about it. All we have is forum opinion.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At this point we have no idea what was wrong, what was fixed and what the experts in the profession think about it. All we have is forum opinion.

We also have the fact that this is now two back surgeries in consecutive years. And that runs counter to the claims being made that age is a plus or modern medicine makes a big difference.

Neither factor helped Demarcus Lawrence avoid back-to-back back surgeries, did it?

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We also have the fact that this is now two back surgeries in consecutive years. And that runs counter to the claims being made that age is a plus or modern medicine makes a big difference.

Neither factor helped Demarcus Lawrence avoid back-to-back back surgeries, did it?

I sense of hint of "Stash anger".

I leave this topic here, but let me say...

Let's see what happens.

I think making any prognosis good or bad on February 13th is premature.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I sense of hint of "Stash anger".

No "anger" whatsoever, sorry if it comes across that way. Merely a differing opinion on the subject and the thought of basing decisions on back injuries 'getting better' and no longer being a factor. I've seen too much of the opposite - and so has this team - to think things will change.

I leave this topic here, but let me say...

Let's see what happens.

I think making any prognosis good or bad on February 13th is premature.

Fair enough. But there's no need to "leave". Maybe I'd feel better if people claiming that things will be fine could give some examples where players had back surgeries and never had issues again.

John813

Reaction score
Well, I don't see them reaching for a DE in the draft due to that. However, D-Law is an UFA at the end of the following season(17-18).
With his inconsistent play/health, he may or may not be retained. So, I'm sure the staff feels like they have an ok group of guys, with some upside, going into next year, but the "best" one will be due for a contract soon.
If their DE guy is gone at 28, I could see them drafting another player and seeing what falls to them later on.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All those guys you mentioned are backups. Yes I know it would be functional but if you had lee paired with another " War Daddy " that would be ideal. I'm hoping smith is that guy. We should still draft another LB in the 1st 3 rounds.
If LB is BPA fine; otherwise, you could say they need to a "War Daddy" at Safety, CB, DE and probably some others. At least they have Lee at LB. They don't have a Lee type player at other position groups on defense.

If Reddick is available, he should be a consideration. He looks like a guy that could play 4-3 at a high level and be used as a situational pass rusher.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Stay away from all the free agent DE's.

Pair Irving, DLaw, Mayowa, Tapper, and at least one DE in the draft, and you have a decent rotation, all of whom still have their best ball ahead of them. You could add Crawford that that mix, but I really think he belongs back inside.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
If LB is BPA fine; otherwise, you could say they need to a "War Daddy" at Safety, CB, DE and probably some others. At least they have Lee at LB. They don't have a Lee type player at other position groups on defense.

If Reddick is available, he should be a consideration. He looks like a guy that could play 4-3 at a high level and be used as a situational pass rusher.
Byron jones is suppose to be a "war daddy " . He's a 1st round pick he better start playing like one. Our cbs are fine if re-sign Carr. LB And DE are the real "war daddy's " of the NFL .