Our DE need

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sounds like Terrell McClain has got some real leverage to work with.

The challenge evaluating McClain is that he had one good season with Dallas, due to injuries.

And now you're going to offer him "Thornton-type" money ($4 mil a season)?

Could be a mini-Tyrone Crawford situation.

TheHerd

Reaction score
The Cowboy defense is not good enough and it will kill the club for at least 2 more years. It eeds a serious boost in talent starting with down linemen an going from there. Don't kid yourself!!

This. Just remember, Dak did exactly what the goat did. Led his team on an amazing comeback to tie the score with under a minute left.

The difference is Brady's defense came up big and didn't let him down in that last minute. Dak's defense did what most of us expect of the Dallas defense in the highest pressure moment of big games.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This. Just remember, Dak did exactly what the goat did. Led his team on an amazing comeback to tie the score with under a minute left.

The difference is Brady's defense came up big and didn't let him down in that last minute. Dak's defense did what most of us expect of the Dallas defense in the highest pressure moment of big games.

Also didn't hurt that Green Bay's play calling was a might better than Atlanta's...

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It seems like most everyone considers DE to be the most critical need area on the team. It's not a want it's a must get. Early in the draft if not in FA and there doesn't look to be anyone realistic in FA. At least with all their fingers and toes.

Here's the deal though. It's not what you think. It's not what I think. It's what the team thinks that's going to actually shape our offseason.

I'm sure there will be a lot of eye rolling to those tweets but these are two recent draft picks. Lawrence has proven he can play in the league, Tapper hadn't had his chance to fail. There's no reason the Cowboys would feel any differently toward his talent now than they did a year ago drafting him in the 4th round. Both appear healthy and ready to go for next year medically.

So is it possible that while the entire Cowboys fan base views this offseason as pass rusher or bust that the team sees it differently? Not that they will have no interest in a pass rusher at some point but the need isn't nearly as critical as the fans believe it is.

Food for thought. Don't dismiss it. This could easily be true and lead to a lot of Coughlin faces on draft week.

That just brings up another question. Does the team feel that it is wise to count on players trying to return from significant back issues and injuries?

If they do, I think there's every reason to question it. And based on their own experiences, it unwise to do so. Nobody should have learned this lesson better than this team.

From Haley to Aikman to Darren Woodson to Marco Rivera to Tony Romo to these players today. Back injuries can limit, impede, or end sports careers, and they do all the time.

It would be both careless and reckless for this team to base their decisions on counting on the health of these players.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Biggest issue with Lawrence and DE need is 2017 is a walk year and he has had back issues. He is a guy that can notch 10 sack seasons, but you need to make a commitment to him very soon. I dont question him so much for the 2017 season. I do question giving him 12 million a year if he notches a 10 sack season with the health issues he has had

I'm not considering it at all. Not paying big money to a guy coming off of two back surgeries.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That just brings up another question. Does the team feel that it is wise to count on players trying to return from significant back issues and injuries?

If they do, I think there's every reason to question it. And based on their own experiences, it unwise to do so. Nobody should have learned this lesson better than this team.

From Haley to Aikman to Darren Woodson to Marco Rivera to Tony Romo to these players today. Back injuries can limit, impede, or end sports careers, and they do all the time.

It would be both careless and reckless for this team to base their decisions on counting on the health of these players.

Depends. Is it the same kind of back injury? You can't just paint it with a broad brush as if they're all the same. Every player you named there was well over 30 before the back got them. Lawrence is 24. Tapper is 23.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Depends. Is it the same kind of back injury? You can't just paint it with a broad brush as if they're all the same. Every player you named there was well over 30 before the back got them. Lawrence is 24. Tapper is 23.

Also back surgery has progressed since many of the players Stash mentioned quit participating in the sport.

camaro69

Benched
Reaction score
But it wouldn't be the same defensive line. You'd have a healthy Lawrence and Tapper added to the mix. You'd also have a 2nd year Maliek Collins with a training camp and preseason. A more seasoned David Irving.

Of course injuries can change everything but on paper it's not the same.
I have not seen Tapper play but I'm hopeful. Collins will be better and stronger he needs to play the run better. whatever the scouts did for this draft I hope they can repeat it. And please kick Jerry out of the draft room when we pick in the second round.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
The challenge evaluating McClain is that he had one good season with Dallas, due to injuries.

And now you're going to offer him "Thornton-type" money ($4 mil a season)?

Could be a mini-Tyrone Crawford situation.
Awesome.

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
Another way they may approach this is to take a player like Ryan Anderson who could play SLB and RDE. That would give you a player that could stil contribute if Tapper emerges as a RDE or Gregory returns at some point.

Reddick, if he is there at #28, would be a dynamic LB and a nickel pass rusher that would be a terror for most tackles.

Big D

Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised at all if we don't see a DE drafted early. There are a lot of needs and factor in the way the team usually try's to address needs that will come up in the future as well. TE and OT are two positions that I would wait a year on but the team might see it differently. The secondary needs at least a couple and maybe more additions. We might need two WR's. We could even draft a RB especially one that doubles as a kick returner. Even backup QB could see a player. With the way this team focuses on DT's I wouldn't be surprised if they jump on one if the right guy is there.

If they added a one trick pony late in the draft at DE like say a Darius English I would not be the least bit surprised.

That part. Christian McCaffery is the guy I'd get. He would allow us to get rid of Dunbar, Morris, Whitehead, and Butler in one shot.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I'd rather err on the side of caution. If that means "broad brush" criticisms, so be it. I'm good with that. I know that you're correct that each case is unique, but I also know that these things more often that not don't get better, surgery or not. It's tough enough for regular people to deal with, it's quite another asking a professional athlete whose body takes a much more physical pounding to do it.

And personally, I don't look at age as necessarily a positive factor or advantage. After all, age didn't prevent either Lawrence or Tapper from suffering these back injuries in the first place, right? I see no reason to assume that age would prevent them from occurring again.

CWR

Reaction score
Of course the team is relying on the guys we have. They are young and they have shown promise at various points.

I do however, believe we would love a stud defensive lineman or two. Wanting and actually signing these guys is a different thing altogether. From all accounts this is a weak FA crop so getting there that route seems unlikely. Our draft position also may limit us in our ability to land a pass rushing stud.

If we are able to manage a trade wether involving Romo for a veteran pass rusher or moving up in the draft the fan base may get the sizzle they are demanding. If we are unable to make a trade I expect we can go anywhere from TE to DB early in the draft. So yes in the end there is a very strong chance our DL does not change much from last year.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd rather err on the side of caution. If that means "broad brush" criticisms, so be it. I'm good with that. I know that you're correct that each case is unique, but I also know that these things more often that not don't get better, surgery or not. It's tough enough for regular people to deal with, it's quite another asking a professional athlete whose body takes a much more physical pounding to do it.

And personally, I don't look at age as necessarily a positive factor or advantage. After all, age didn't prevent either Lawrence or Tapper from suffering these back injuries in the first place, right? I see no reason to assume that age would prevent them from occurring again.

We'll just disagree. Age is most definitely a factor. Anyone can get hurt. Tapper was born with his issue. How you heal from an injury absolutely has to do with age.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
It is definitely frustrating and there isn't an easy answer. We definitely need playmakers on the DL but they just don't come that easily and in particular this year it doesn't seem like there are great pass rushers in free agency nor in the area of the draft where we will be picking.

That means we might have to try trading up to get the guy we want as a pass rusher, or that we just means we may end up reaching for another guy that has issues. The other alternative is try building up the secondary but it seems that idea has been proven an ill advised one. How many teams have really been dominating due to a great secondary?

Hate to say it, but it might be time to make a really bold move. Big trade in draft or big free agent signing at whatever cost.