Our defense; not to nit pick

playmakers

Reaction score
First off, I like to compliment whoever it was that designed the more pressure defense we started playing against the Commanders. In addition, having Newman cover the teams top reciever for most of the game. With that said lets keep up the aggressiveness, however.........

What concerns me is the amount of open recievers theres been in the last 2 games. Seattle, if these guys could catch a pass they would of put up 20 on us, and SF drove down the field for 3FG's and 2 touchdowns. If they could of converted one field goal into a td and were talking giving up 27 points to them.

Conclusion............ Our defense is really only winning half the game against the other teams offense. We have been bailed out a few times by turnovers(JJOnes ring a bell). Sf scored on 5 of their drives and a team usually gets about 10 a game(dont quote me). When our defense wins series they flat out dominate. On the other half of the series you have recievers/te's flying all over the field open. We need to clean this up because if when we play a good team like Pittsburgh we need to limit 5 scoring drives to 3 for example. If we give up those 5 scoring drives to Pitt, like we did SF, they will put up 31 points(4tds and a fg) instead on 22. just my opinion.

Has anyone else noticed this? Im not trying to be a pessimiest(sp) either. Im just stating what I seen in the last 2 games. I will say major improvements though from previous 10 weeks or so.

Last question, where has Canty and Spears been the last 8 weeks or so. If they were playing corner you would say they're doing great because you never hear their name. Maybe Im just not noticing their play thats why I ask.

popcorn

Reaction score
Good Post, and I agree. We haven't had any contunity in the secondary all year. Newman has helped tremendousely, and Scandrick's play has been very encouraging. Those two, even when passes are caught the coverage is tight. I am concerned becaues too often recievers are left WIDE open. Hopefully, Jenkins is back and everyone will be on the field and this will get cleaned up. Please Wade, just let Pacman return punts and maybe a little in the dime.

Mansta54

Reaction score
Our D is much better now, the progress is easy to see especially in our pass rush but we've got to get Henry off the field. He just can't cover WR's anymore, he's great over the TE though...

cowboyz

Reaction score
it goes back to safety play.

and the lack of a push from the dline to collapse the pocket

oh and teams targeting henry when they need to convert a 1st down

Mansta54

Reaction score
cowboyz;2454781 said:
it goes back to safety play.

and the lack of a push from the dline to collapse the pocket

oh and teams targeting henry when they need to convert a 1st down

Not sure what you've been watching but our Dline has put tons of pressure on the QB since Romo returned. They've collapsed the pocket consistently and at will...

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
CosmicCowboy;2454797 said:
So true like last year with Reeves.....:rolleyes:

Except that we will have Jenkins and PacMan this week....I suspect Henry will see more and more time at safety.

BLEU3ASY

Reaction score
popcorn;2454776 said:
Good Post, and I agree. We haven't had any contunity in the secondary all year. Newman has helped tremendousely, and Scandrick's play has been very encouraging. Those two, even when passes are caught the coverage is tight. I am concerned becaues too often recievers are left WIDE open. Hopefully, Jenkins is back and everyone will be on the field and this will get cleaned up. Please Wade, just let Pacman return punts and maybe a little in the dime.

i hope they put him on kickoffs, it my give him a spark. he will be able to build up some speed and run....instead of runing around in circles.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
I agree that this defense is still a concern. Still suspect. We need to see how they play against BETTER teams on a consistent level.

BUT to use San Fran as an example.... I know one TD scoring drive was mostly penalties... 2 15 yarders??? followed by Joe Buck saying "great drive by Sean Hill"

raichledog

Reaction score
One thing that hasn't been mentioned is how well our defense has stuffed the run. We have made the Skins, 49ers, and Hawks completely 1 dimentional. When teams have to throw the ball on nearly every play they are going to find open receivers. The flip side however is that they subject their qb to a lot of punishment. We beat Cambell to a pulp, and the same can be said about Hill. We then sacked Hasselbeck 7 friggin times and hit him a lot more.

What did we give up, 280 total yards versus the Hawks? I'll take that considering they were in catch-up mode all day.

sbark

Reaction score
raichledog;2454914 said:
One thing that hasn't been mentioned is how well our defense has stuffed the run. We have made the Skins, 49ers, and Hawks completely 1 dimentional. When teams have to throw the ball on nearly every play they are going to find open receivers. The flip side however is that they subject their qb to a lot of punishment. We beat Cambell to a pulp, and the same can be said about Hill. We then sacked Hasselbeck 7 friggin times and hit him a lot more.

What did we give up, 280 total yards versus the Hawks? I'll take that considering they were in catch-up mode all day.

Agree...Wade, BP, Tom L, JimmyJ........stop the run 1st......

I'd like to see Eli without the luxery of a big time run-game: that Oline makes him look like Elway

The Panch

Reaction score
YoMick;2454908 said:
I agree that this defense is still a concern. Still suspect. We need to see how they play against BETTER teams on a consistent level.

BUT to use San Fran as an example.... I know one TD scoring drive was mostly penalties... 2 15 yarders??? followed by Joe Buck saying "great drive by Sean Hill"
Bottom line is both they and Seattle were able to move the ball thru the air and if it wasnt for some self inflicted wounds, our secondary could've seriously been exposed. We're just lucky were not facing any elite pass teams to close the season, tho we often make Eli and McNabb look like such.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
sbark;2454937 said:
I'd like to see Eli without the luxery of a big time run-game: that Oline makes him look like Elway

Bingo! Sell out the run... let Eli have a big play here and there... it still gives us a chance to get in and get him(insert Spencer here).

The Panch

Reaction score
YoMick;2454940 said:
Bingo! Sell out the run... let Eli have a big play here and there... it still gives us a chance to get in and get him(insert Spencer here).
Arizona(with no Jacobs, mind you) and Washington did it and it didnt work. Obviously, Id rather face him than Earth, Wind, and Fire.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
You can have recievers open all day, but if your QB is sitting on his butt then what good does it do the team?

The reason the WR are open is not because our secodary is suspect, but because of the pressure we're putting on we expect to either get to the QB, or for him to throw a quick route. So all of the CB's are sitting on the quick routes, and allowing the recivers to get behind them, because we are suppose to have safety help over the top.

Sometimes what you see on TV is not a basis for anaylsis on defense.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
While there was more pressure, I felt a lot of that had to do with Seahawks oline injuries. I also felt that the Seahawks beat themselves many times on offense that had nothing to do with the Dallas defense. While it looked impressive stat wise, (at least in some categories) I didn't feel they played as well as many said they did.

AmericasTeam31

Reaction score
I like what our defense is doing right now. We aren't sitting back and letting the offense dictate the game. We are attacking and dictating to the offense that if you want to score you are going to do it on a 15 play dink and donk drive, not a 5 play drive. It forces teams to play 100% mistake free on offense, a dropped pass, or a penalty will derail a drive this way. Appling pressure on the QB and not let them get the ball downfield is a big key to our defenses success as of late.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Wade's entire defense is based on hitting the quarterback. We send rushers quite a bit, so there are going to be times when things are open down the field. Unless you have four truly great passrushers up front, you simply can't get tons of pressure without sending some people. And that leaves fewer people in the backfield to defend.

But as long as you limit the really big plays for easy touchdowns, it's worth it to give up a few plays to keep hitting the QB all game long because it causes mistakes and inaccuracy by the end of the game.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
What concerns me is the amount of open recievers theres been in the last 2 games. Seattle, if these guys could catch a pass they would of put up 20 on us, and SF drove down the field for 3FG's and 2 touchdowns. If they could of converted one field goal into a td and were talking giving up 27 points to them.
That SF game wasn't close because our defense dominated. Those two late TD's were in garbage time and didn't matter. The final score of that game was 32-9 for all intensive purposes.

playmakers

Reaction score
Yeah, but they also got down to the one yard line I think twice. A good team would of converted those two. That was my point.

Mick, we still have to take responsibilty for those pentalies imo.