Our defensive tackles will continue to be our achilles heel

GoldenR

Reaction score
imo it goes further than that. Their defensive line is best vs the pass. But when they have to face teams that simply out physical them they fold. It’s the dline and linebackers. They just get gassed quickly when a team can just run it.

2018 we saw it too. Same defense 5 years later.
..............and still not addressing the problem.

quickccc

Reaction score
DT's wasn't the issue today.....look at your linebackers and edge rushers...
- Armstrong has always been a suspect run defender .. we'll have a new starter at his DE spot next year.

- Fowler is really a situational pass rusher.
- I dunno how to evaluate Williams if he can be a starter as he is not
a smart player but he is so immensely talented and already has size/power.
but I would think he gets first bid at DE in '24.

- We also have suspect LB play ..for years. Clark is an average LB.
Bell is very undersize and still learning the LB role. and he is already a better play maker than Clark.

- Overshown is a wait and see off ACL recover. I've seen enuff of Evans to move forward. LVE should be done for his career
I really don't want him back.
We clearly really need to add legit talent to this LB unit in offseason. Likely come in NFL draft.

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
A lot more wrong than just the DT’s.
Its like I've been saying for a while now - in almost every sport - if you want to have a strong defense, you need to be "strong up the middle"

And where is our weakness?

Right up the middle - Jag DTs - no LBs - and jag safeties who hardly ever make a play on there ball on the back end.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
- Armstrong has always been a suspect run defender .. we'll have a new starter at his DE spot next year.

- Fowler is really a situational pass rusher.
- I dunno how to evaluate Williams if he can be a starter as he is not
a smart player but he is so immensely talented and already has size/power.
but I would think he gets first bid at DE in '24.

- We also have suspect LB play ..for years. Clark is an average LB.
Bell is very undersize and still learning the LB role. and he is already a better play maker than Clark.

- Overshown is a wait and see off ACL recover. I've seen enuff of Evans to move forward. LVE should be done for his career
I really don't want him back.
We clearly really need to add legit talent to this LB unit in offseason. Likely come in NFL draft.
They keep saying Sam is raw and I just don't see it. Yeah he makes mistakes but that will get shored up. I've liked what i've seen from him.

I like both Clark and Bell. We had the years of guys who could play well against the run but sucked in coverage. Well its the opposite now. I don't say they suck against the run but their strengths are in the passing game. Hopefully Overshown is as good as advertised because I think a big crucial part in our defense taking a hit is we are not getting the same play out of Kearse and Wilson that we got last year or the year prior.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
Our play at the defensive tackle position has killed this team for years now. These dudes dont shed blocks or anchor against double teams at all.

Add in the fact that you have two undersized linebackers behind them and only one run-stopping edge, you get the result you saw today.

Mazi, Gallimore, Davis are all jags and Osa is slightly above average but would be one of the bottom ranked DTs on a legitimate playoff team.

What makes matters worse is they just spent a first on Mazi so dont expect them to address the position this offseason.
What legitimate playoff team is in the NFC besides the 49ers?

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Our play at the defensive tackle position has killed this team for years now. These dudes dont shed blocks or anchor against double teams at all.

Add in the fact that you have two undersized linebackers behind them and only one run-stopping edge, you get the result you saw today.

Mazi, Gallimore, Davis are all jags and Osa is slightly above average but would be one of the bottom ranked DTs on a legitimate playoff team.

What makes matters worse is they just spent a first on Mazi so dont expect them to address the position this offseason.
I tend to agree, but we got killed more due to outside runs and our backers unable to get off blocks. Think getting a legitimate Mike linebacker might be the bigger need

kskboys

Reaction score
I tend to agree, but we got killed more due to outside runs and our backers unable to get off blocks. Think getting a legitimate Mike linebacker might be the bigger need
Nope. The DT's don't dominate the LOS, which means the LB's have to crash in which opens up the outside runs. Us being weak at DT affects every area of our D.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
That’s the easy finger pointing. But in all honestly Lawrence and parsons were atrocious today.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Nope. The DT's don't dominate the LOS, which means the LB's have to crash in which opens up the outside runs. Us being weak at DT affects every area of our D.
This.

The DTs never shed blocks and get into the backfield. How many TFLs did we have today?

The linebackers looked worse because of olinemen getting to the second level.