Our offensive line sucks because of our draft history

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Our offense has stunk, because our offensive line stinks. And it stinks because we don't draft linemen. And when they do their busts...

This is because they got too cavalier having flozell adams and larry allen...

I would say that every year, you should draft an offensive linemen in the first day (or at least in the 4th), with exceptions being made if you're all set on the line, at every position.

The oline has 5 spots (more than the 3-4, or 4-3 defensive lines, and thus has 9-10 roster spots dedicated to it). That is almost 1/5 of your team right there. And you know you're going to get some busts.... Just look at Seattle.

First day offensive linemen drafted since we got Larry Allen
2006 - None
2005 - None
2004 - Rogers/Peterman (both busts 2nd and 3rd)
2003 - Al Johnson (2)
2002 - Andre Gurode (2)
2001 - None
2000 - None
1999 - Solomon Page (2)
1998 - Flozell Adams (2)
1997 - Steve Scifres (3)
1996 - Clay Shiver (3)
1995 - Shane Hannah (2)
1994 - Larry Allen (2)

We've drafted 3 linemen on the first day since parcells got here, and 9 since we got Allen (including allen). Most of which were 3rd rounders, none in the first.

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
honestly guy, has BP ever drafted a good lineman? since he's been here he has brought in 24 differen't O-line guys and only 1 has worked out...a 6th round pick by the name of Robert something Petiti

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
I'm too lazy, but I'd like the see the record of 1st round Olineman these past 5 drafts and their success, I think it's not very good, although I agree that Oline is important, having playmakers at the skill positions is just as important, and look at the Chief and COlt's Oline, on their lines combined, only 3, total, were 1st round picks (Tarik Glenn, ?WIll Shields? and WIllie Roaf) and Roaf was a free agent addition, while alot of their linemen are late day, UFAs, it's more about evalutation than it is draft status, hope we can see some contributions from Stephen Peterman and Pettiti, and more from Al Johnson and Gurode, maybe even see if McQuistan and EJ WHitley have anything

I agree though that BP's track record here for Olineman has been less than sterling

RealCowboyfan

Championship
Reaction score
Galian Beast said:
Our offense has stunk, because our offensive line stinks. And it stinks because we don't draft linemen. And when they do their busts...

This is because they got too cavalier having flozell adams and larry allen...

I would say that every year, you should draft an offensive linemen in the first day (or at least in the 4th), with exceptions being made if you're all set on the line, at every position.

The oline has 5 spots (more than the 3-4, or 4-3 defensive lines, and thus has 9-10 roster spots dedicated to it). That is almost 1/5 of your team right there. And you know you're going to get some busts.... Just look at Seattle.

First day offensive linemen drafted since we got Larry Allen
2006 - None
2005 - None
2004 - Rogers/Peterman (both busts 2nd and 3rd)
2003 - Al Johnson (2)
2002 - Andre Gurode (2)
2001 - None
2000 - None
1999 - Solomon Page (2)
1998 - Flozell Adams (2)
1997 - Steve Scifres (3)
1996 - Clay Shiver (3)
1995 - Shane Hannah (2)
1994 - Larry Allen (2)

We've drafted 3 linemen on the first day since parcells got here, and 9 since we got Allen (including allen). Most of which were 3rd rounders, none in the first.

Solomon Page would have still had a job if he wasn't so dumb to ask for so much money.

Yes his potential was going to blossum like Flozell did, but he had to ask for a high demanding price.

That's one offensive tackle the Cowboys should have kept.:starspin

the kid 05

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
I'm too lazy, but I'd like the see the record of 1st round Olineman these past 5 drafts and success of them, I think it's not very good, although I agree that Oline is important, having playmakers at the skill positions is just as important, and look at the Chief and COlt's Oline, on each line only 3, total, were 1st round picks, and 1, WIllie Roaf of the Chiefs, was a free agent addition, while alot of their linemen are late day, UFAs

the only recent one i can think of is Jordon Gross of Carolina out of UTAH

Galian Beast

Reaction score
I'm as hopeful for Pettiti as the next guy, but lets be realistic, he hasn't worked out quite yet.

The Cowboys organization since before and after Parcells got here, assumed that the offensive line was better than it was. They were like... "we got the left side all set". Larry Allen and Flozell Adams have held back the advancement of our offensive line. Not only in terms of talent, but in terms of money. Because they had so much money tied up into the two of them, you didn't see us get bigger names or higher draft picks, until we got Rivera (for the same price we could have had a younger, more talented, and more versatile Mike Wahl).

We didn't do anything at right tackle for like 3 years... cause they figured it would work out.

Ryan Young (year 1) bad knees mcgee
Torrin Tucker (year 2) undrafted or 7th round draft pick
Rob Pettiti (year 3) 7th round draft pick

They should have rebooted this offensive line after year 2.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Its hard to judge offensive linemen so early, to simply say the last 5 years. But if you look at teams like the steelers or the seahawks, most of the lineman are first round or at least first day picks.

Drafting a good offensive linemen is like drafting a good quarterback. Yeah, you can have a bust in the 1st round, but you're always going to have a better chance at getting skill in a higher round.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
the kid 05 said:
the only recent one i can think of is Jordon Gross of Carolina out of UTAH

Levi Brown of the Bengals is pretty good, Bryant McKinnie has a chance, but yeah, the track record of 1st round Olineman lately is pretty bad, in fact the #4, I think, overall pick 2 years ago, Robert Gallery was bouncing around between OT and OG last year

the kid 05

Reaction score
Galian Beast said:
I'm as hopeful for Pettiti as the next guy, but lets be realistic, he hasn't worked out quite yet.

alot of people consider Pettiti a success considering a rap sheet with lineman

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Galian Beast said:
Its hard to judge offensive linemen so early, to simply say the last 5 years. But if you look at teams like the steelers or the seahawks, most of the lineman are first round or at least first day picks.

I think 5 years should be good enough to judge an Olineman, and I can't really name much who've had great success

Galian Beast said:
Drafting a good offensive linemen is like drafting a good quarterback. Yeah, you can have a bust in the 1st round, but you're always going to have a better chance at getting skill in a higher round.

while true, I think since OT is a hard position to get down, you know footwork, and then having to wait a year to adjust to the strength of the NFL game, and gaining weight, most aren't ready to make a significant contribution until year 2 or 3, and your 1st 3 picks should be immediate contributors, the highest I think we should take an Olineman is the 2nd round

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Offensive linemen are projects, it takes a while to get good...

First round tackles since 2000

2000: Chris Samuels, Stockar McDougle, Chris McIntosh (not bad names...)

2001: Leonard Davis, Kenyatta Walker, Jeff Backus

2002: Mike Williams, Bryant McKinnie, Levi Jones, MARC COLOMBO

2003: Jordan Gross, George Foster, Kwame Harris

2004: Robert Gallery, Shawn Andrews

2005: Jamaal Brown, Alex Barron

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Galian Beast said:

2002: Mike Williams:laugh1: , Bryant McKinnie, Levi Jones, MARC COLOMBO

2005: Jamaal Brown, Alex Barron

7 out of 16 look like players, and Backus, Andrews and Brown are only average

RealCowboyfan

Championship
Reaction score

2002: Mike Williams, Bryant McKinnie, Levi Jones, MARC COLOMBO

2005: Jamaal Brown, Alex Barron[/quote]

KEY::

Bold/underline = players who trying to make a name for themselves.
Bold = Elite players on their team.
Bold/Italic = Boderline Players|Will eventually amount up to their potential
Bold/underline/Italic = Players who's on the verge of making a major impact
Regular = Players that's not known

:starspin

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Stockar McDougle is good. McIntosh isn't bad.

And give me better results from other rounds...

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Jeff Backus was one of the highest rated tackles in free agency, and got PAY YEAHED

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
I'll give you 2nd day Olinemen

COlts:
Ryan Diem, 4th round
Dylan Gandy, 4th round
Jeff Saturday...UFA

Chiefs:
Brian Waters...UFA
Will Shields...3rd round, right on the fringe of 2nd day
Roaf and Casey Wiegmann were FAs and Welbourn was acquired through a trade, only Roaf was a 1st round pick

that's just 4, 2nd day starting Olineman on just 2 teams, 3 taken in the last 5 years

again, it's about evaluation more than it is draft status, and what BIll needs to improve on

InDakWeTrust

DezBRomo9
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
Pats:
Dan Koppen, 5th round
Stephen Neal, UFA
Brandon Gorin, UFA
Now this is just feels like you are rubbing salt in my papercut.

What we dont know is if it is BP's evaluation of Olineman or if it is Sparano's lack of coaching ability.

But what we do know is that we were holding up very well before Flo went down, even with a injured RG, a top-heavy LG, a sucky rookie RT and a C who flinches before he snaps the football.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
Galian Beast said:
Stockar McDougle is good. McIntosh isn't bad.

And give me better results from other rounds...

So good they both got cut. McDougle is on his 3rd team in 3 years.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
the kid 05 said:
honestly guy, has BP ever drafted a good lineman? since he's been here he has brought in 24 differen't O-line guys and only 1 has worked out...a 6th round pick by the name of Robert something Petiti

If this kid "worked out" then I'm running for president for the "fire BP" club. I do think Petitti is gonna do fine but using him as a measure stick after last year isn't even fair to Rob.