Our OL depth

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Over the last few years the thinking was if the OL can stay healthy they will be fine but one injury can derail things. There just wasn't any depth.

This year is a bit different. The questions are with the starting group (other than Beebe) not as much the backups. There's a real chance the Cowboys will have the best depth they've had along the OL in quite awhile. Richards, Bass, Hoffman and Thomas could all be quality backups if not more in a couple of those cases. I can't remember when I last felt this good about the depth here.

This is a significant development in a league starving for offensive linemen. Nice to have and keep and also a nice trade chip to possibly use to fill a hole elsewhere.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
No no no I made a post like this, someone said you can't expect them to be good right away or be anything

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Over the last few years the thinking was if the OL can stay healthy they will be fine but one injury can derail things. There just wasn't any depth.

This year is a bit different. The questions are with the starting group (other than Beebe) not as much the backups. There's a real chance the Cowboys will have the best depth they've had along the OL in quite awhile. Richards, Bass, Hoffman and Thomas could all be quality backups if not more in a couple of those cases. I can't remember when I last felt this good about the depth here.

This is a significant development in a league starving for offensive linemen. Nice to have and keep and also a nice trade chip to possibly use to fill a hole elsewhere.
Why is Rambo or Rockport pretending to be Rison. :huh:

Redsfan_83

Reaction score

This is one positive of the otherwise mess. Let's see this front games 1-18 though

shabazz

Reaction score
No no no I made a post like this, someone said you can't expect them to be good right away or be anything
And that's why Risen is the king while you're still a prince

One day you will take over the reins.....

Continue to study game film and work hard in your craft

_sturt_

Reaction score
39 offensive snaps in real games. In other words, extremely, extremely small sample size. Hasn't hurt himself. Hasn't done anything to distinguish himself.

Let's see what happens in camp. Not reasonable to consider this a depth piece at this stage.

Okay.

221 offensive snaps in real games. In other words, extremely small sample size.

OL coach has confidence in him. That's the best thing we can say about him for now. Reality is, he's potentially a depth piece, maybe even a starter, but to say anything more is a neutral zone infraction.

Who?

I can't remember when I last felt this good about the depth here.
I can't remember when I was the Debbie Downer to your Pollyanna. No, really.

This is a line of extremes.

A sprinkling of perennial Pro Bowl candidates, and beyond that, mainly guys with upsides but who have a ways to go before they can even be considered to have legitimate NFL careers.

That's what we've got.

Let's see if Oxnard is reassuring. Or not. I think it will be. But I'm nowhere near ready to consider this O-line "deep."

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

They have done well adding talent there with late round picks and UDFA'S. Bass and Hoffman are even tangible in that we already that they are playable.

It will be interesting too see where Richards plays. I think he has the most upside of the group, but thats as a LG imo. They seem to like him more OT. Would be nice if he makes Steele expandable and we dont have to use a pick on a RT

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

I truly believe that one of the reasons we were OK letting Tyron and Biadasz go is because of what we had seen from that depth. There were question marks still, of course, with Richards, Bass and Hoffman, but all three had shown signs of belonging on the field last season. That's why I wasn't sure we'd draft an offensive tackle early. We had some options there — Richards starting or Smith moving back to LT and Bass starting at G. I felt center was more of a need because I didn't want Dallas to just rely on Hoffman and find out that he's fool's gold (but apparently, the option of Bass at center would have been in the mix).

Even though there are those questions about whether Guyton and Beebe will be able as rookies to transition to new positions, I feel pretty good about this group overall because of what the backups showed last year. I was almost a little surprised that we brought Edoga back, but his versatility to be the swing tackle may have been a factor in that. Not sure outside of Guyton that we have anyone else who can back up Steele. We tried Waletzko there last preseason and that was an ugly experiment, and we know Ball is not a tackle in this league.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
They have done well adding talent there with late round picks and UDFA'S. Bass and Hoffman are even tangible in that we already that they are playable.

It will be interesting too see where Richards plays. I think he has the most upside of the group, but thats as a LG imo. They seem to like him more OT. Would be nice if he makes Steele expandable and we dont have to use a pick on a RT
I thought Richards looked much better at LT than he did at LG. Now, that could change, but Bass outplayed him in the preseason as a guard.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

:oops: Did someone pay you a visit?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
39 offensive snaps in real games. In other words, extremely, extremely small sample size. Hasn't hurt himself. Hasn't done anything to distinguish himself.

Let's see what happens in camp. Not reasonable to consider this a depth piece at this stage.

Okay.

OL coach has confidence in him. That's the best thing we can say about him for now. Reality is, he's potentially a depth piece, maybe even a starter, but to say anything more is a neutral zone infraction.

Who?

A sprinkling of perennial Pro Bowl candidates, and beyond that, mainly guys with upsides but who have a ways to go before they can even be considered to have legitimate NFL careers.

That's what we've got.

Let's see if Oxnard is reassuring. Or not. I think it will be. But I'm nowhere near ready to consider this O-line "deep."
IMG-0492.gif

75boyz

Reaction score
I share the optimism in the potential of our offensive linemen room.

I am not as optimistic in the coaching, scheme/execution and basic ability to get the best out of these linemen..

gtb1943

Reaction score

Okay.

Who?

That's what we've got.

Bass to me is the only one that really seems to be what is claimed for all/ might even be a good starter
the rest are as you described; tiny sample size and most of it against terrible teams

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score

Unforeseen injuries always happen to the O-line, so don't get so enthusiastic about our depth just yet.

Cowboyny

Reaction score

I not sure we know yet if we have good depth or not, many of our backups are in that developmental stage of their careers. Biggest question will be who do they trust the most? Thought Richards played real well in pre-season, but he barely saw the field in the regular season. Both Bass/Hoffman did get a lot more field time then Richards received.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Bass to me is the only one that really seems to be what is claimed for all/ might even be a good starter
the rest are as you described; tiny sample size and most of it against terrible teams
Agreed, but remember we are talking about depth pieces here. Bass we seem to have a general agreement around here that he's a nice player to have on your bench. Hoffman despite a low sample size has at least shown that he is capable of coming in and giving you a start or two if needed. For what should be your 2nd guy up for an interior Oline spot, that's not terrible. You also have a decent depth player who just can't stay on the field for very long in Edoga to push these guys. The interior is set up pretty well.

Where I struggle with our depth is at the T spots. It'll be interesting to see if they run into injury issues would they plug in a guy like Richards, or push Tyler Smith out to T.